IGNORED

SOLD: Virtual Boy Kiosk

MattG/Snyper2099

I just wanted to know if anyone is interested in this? It is a fairly heavy store display (kiosk) for the Nintendo Virtual Boy. I am thinking of hauling it to Phillyclassic if anyone shows interest. It is meant to be sat on a table and you look into the unit. There are adjustments for people of different heights in order to stick your head in the goggles. This unit is fully operational and comes with one game. The last one I saw on ebay sold for $890 if I recall correctly.

I found this link to that auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=1947751420

On the one I'm offering, one of the side pieces of plexiglass is missing. But, I still have the advertisement part that goes behind it. It could be easily repaired if you know someone who could mold/bend plexiglass.

There is a picture below this post. This is NOT the unit I'm offering but, this is what it looks like. The ads and plexi are removed from the picture of the unit below. They go to either side of the unit and stick out at about a 45 degree angle. NOTE: I'm not sure if the one I have has a top marquee or not. The one on the auction above did not have a marquee.

So, anyone have any interest in this?

MattG.

post-587-1042525350_thumb.jpg

Wish that I had the scratch for something like that. I seem to recall larger displays as well. Like freestanding ones that looked like the VB was a periscope in a futuristic submarine. Given what the tabletop one got, that must be serious bank for the freestanding one.

Are you looking totrade something for it? I don't have a list up yet, but I do have a great deal of stuff that I'm getting rid of... video game, Laser Disc, video and film production gear, musical instruments, etc.

• 21 years later...
On 1/14/2003 at 12:22 AM, MattG/Snyper2099 said:

I just wanted to know if anyone is interested in this? It is a fairly heavy store display (kiosk) for the Nintendo Virtual Boy. I am thinking of hauling it to Phillyclassic if anyone shows interest. It is meant to be sat on a table and you look into the unit. There are adjustments for people of different heights in order to stick your head in the goggles. This unit is fully operational and comes with one game. The last one I saw on ebay sold for $890 if I recall correctly.

I found this link to that auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=1947751420

On the one I'm offering, one of the side pieces of plexiglass is missing. But, I still have the advertisement part that goes behind it. It could be easily repaired if you know someone who could mold/bend plexiglass.

There is a picture below this post. This is NOT the unit I'm offering but, this is what it looks like. The ads and plexi are removed from the picture of the unit below. They go to either side of the unit and stick out at about a 45 degree angle. NOTE: I'm not sure if the one I have has a top marquee or not. The one on the auction above did not have a marquee.

So, anyone have any interest in this?

MattG.

post-587-1042525350_thumb.jpg

Yes, I’ll buy it, where can I pick it up:)?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Funny seeing the dating here and CPUWIZ being stunned.  It's strange given the age because the tabletop unit isn't that much worse over the price vs years which is just weird.  That price back then was greedy as hell, he was out of his mind, and if he found a sucker willing to pay that great.

Pretty much what you were told, a fool and their money.  But to be fair, there's reasons under it (PRESENT ERA).  Primarily it's Nintendo and secondarily it's an unique system that got a bad shake by Nintendo and others that just sacked it so there aren't many and far fewer kiosks too because of it.  I've seen them go into the 4 figures easily, especially the stand up models as they go nuts.  Nothing OEM Virtual Boy is cheap anymore really outside of a few of the utterly mediocre side loose things like pack in Mario Tennis and the baseball title.  Just in the last 5 years stuff that had been like $200-300 for a loose game is 3x that price (like Jack Bros.)  The rental cases are out of control, broken head pieces alone can fetch stupid money which is a shame.

I have a complete US VB set and then some, 13/14 with manual, 11/14 complete, and then a few side things, the rental case intact, manual, got even a spare unit...both of them solder fixed to stop the ribbon fail issue.  The only thing I still lack and price put me off it is a loose copy of Space Squash since I once had it years ago and wish I had it still but not for that ask.  I did this all with some very crafty, repairing, trading, upgrading and reselling of repaired units stunts in 2019 and kept it around $900 shockingly.  These days what I have now is worth many times over that which SUCKS.  I'd rather people be able to enjoy it than consider it some depraved cash grab price but that's what it is.

• Like 1

Well it is my wheel house, but as others have said before a fool and their money.

If that came across my desk right now, even if I had/have the cash on hand it wouldn't tempt me.  I'm just not that reckless and stupid with my resources.  I really enjoy the system, it never gave me headaches or whatever and since I largely enjoy playing alone that wasn't an issue either.  The thing is, I wouldn't want to make space for it, and in the end to me it's just a few pieces of added plastic and filler, a light, and a hacked up VB to fit into that mount that would be very uncomfortable to use for any extended use.  It's just a higher end Nintendo e-peen judging contest piece and nothing more to have it.

That's why I was so amused by the age of the post and that price people balking at because it would go for probably 2-3x that now would be my guess, maybe more to the right idiot depending how intact and clean it is, or what it would take to get the missing bits.

10 hours ago, jesusc said:

New in the shrink you say? Interesting. 

My company had about 6 NIB units stored away in a warehouse, forgotten.  When that was cleared out, about 6 years ago, they were "auctioned" off to employees, have some sealed game as well.

I always wanted a Virtual Boy to play...So I never cared if it was new.  The thing is,  I had a coworker some years back (at least 10 years ago) who said he had a Virtual Boy for sale.  This guy owed me $180 or so and I asked how much,  he said "$40".  "Sold!" I said,  then suggested he use it to pay down some of his debt to me.  He quickly said it was his wife's not his...But I still said I'd buy it.  I even bought and still have a stack of games for it.  Unfortunately like certain other people I won't name,  I believe the guy was a chronic, pathological liar.  For some time I asked him to bring it to work,  only to be hit with every excuse in the book.  In the end I quit asking.  Not sure if there ever was a Virtual Boy.   The guy did give me some retro stuff he no longer wanted that would probably sell for more than what he owed me now...And as for the Virtual Boy, I figured someday I'd come across one for a decent price;  which hasn't happened yet.

Yeah I was about to say Nintendo never shrink wrapped consoles.  At the most they'd sticker seal things.  It drives the collec...investor trolls nuts because they get super paranoid about if it's really new pulling fantasies out of their ass exactly how some random factory worker would fold, tuck, twist tie, and bundle things as if they were some robot that did it precise -- to my amusement. :D

That's an amazing thing to have, if you don't care to ever keep it you'll get some hardcore offers on that for sure.  I'm more interested in finding out which games, those were sealed.  I mean I have all 14 but you never know, maybe something Japanese?  It's nutty but the plastic clip over tap that holds the ac adapter(which isn't even rebranded, it's a stock SNES adapter) can go for around $100 USED, so sealed up would get some nut all worked up as well.

I've showed off a bit of my finds when I did that 2019 run towards the set deal I mentioned, but just realized I never showed all that's there now.  Obviously doesn't show the 2nd VB which also has it's own original stuff and a second tap+ac adapter as well.

VirtualBoyUSComplete.jpeg

• Like 3

Rather recently I was shown a Virtual Boy ac adapter that was sort of branded. I always assumed they just tossed in the usual snes adapter. Why spend the money to make another mold. They did though. It says something like For Use with Super Nintendo Control Deck and Virtual Boy.