IGNORED

Buying the "Real McCoy" 2600 Console

jdrose

I've just started developing code for the Atari 2600. It's an exciting and complicated programming environment, however, so far, I can only test my code on emulators because I do not have an actual console. Ultimately, I would like to have an actual 2600 console to "acid" test my code.

Been shopping at eBay and I am a bit confused by all the varieties of the VCS 2600 console offered. Darth Vader, 2600 Jr, Sunnyvale Promo, 7800, Telegames, Six Switch, 2600 Woodie, Sears, Heavy Sixer, etc.

My question, is there any particular console that I should be looking for that is the "one"?

Thanks

Edited by jdrose
  • Like 1

For many people the "Heavy Sixer" is kind of the real McCoy as you say, just because it was the first. I have one and it's the display unit that's in my living room because I think it's the coolest. I do play it every now and then, but the console that gets the most use for 2600 games is the 7800 in my gameroom. I would actually recommend getting a 7800... you never know, many who started on coding the 2600 now make homebrews for the 7800 as well. You kinda get 2-for-1 with that deal.

In my opinion there is never "one"--I have a 2600 Jr. that I use as well because it's nice and compact. It fits in a desk drawer that I pull out to test games before selling.

Actual coders may have other opinions--I'd be interested to hear if their are any fundamental differences that impact their decisions.

• Like 2

Thank you. I sorta figured the Harmony was a given. Good tip on the six switch consoles.

I am bidding on a 7800 on eBay and keeping my eye out for a six switch VCS on craigslist. I am not really interested in learning MARIA at this time but like the phaxda said it's good to have in case I do develop an interest.

Edited by jdrose

Also testing on a 7800 helps you spot bugs specific for that system (someone more knowledgable about the 2600 and 7800 may step in and explain it better but certain 2600 games are incompatible with the 7800. worse, the compatibility differs depending on when the system was made so a game that gives a black or rolling picture may run fine on another console)

This might sound like a weird question but what sort of TV are you planning to use it on - you really need a CRT for the authentic experience, my LCD doesn't do the 2600 any justice.........one reason I'm really looking forward to blaarg filters in Stella 4.0 :)

• Like 1

I've got an ancient RCA 19" CRT TV I've had since 1993. Also have a Philips 24" CRT TV I've had since 1999. Probably use the Philips mostly. I can't afford the new fangled televisions they are offering today.

Can you even still buy CRT TVs today?

Regarding the 7800: Until a couple of weeks ago I had never heard of an Atari 7800. Sounds like an interesting console. Full 6502, more program space, 2600 hardware and traditional DMA video hardware as well. Sounds like programming the 7800 in it's native mode is more like traditional computer video game programming. Not ready to go to go there yet, have my hands full learning the 2600 but it is interesting to know the 7800 exists.

Couple of question regarding the 7800. Are the sound effects really as bad as they seem or is that a defect of the emulator? What is the estimated installed base of Atari 7800 consoles?

• 2 months later...

The 6 switch and Harmony don't go together well. the carts used for the harmony are a little big for the sixer models, because they were made from Red Label carts and they were made later and atari made the screw mast differently. if you want to test your game with the harmony, a four switch woody is the way to go.

Is there any room in your budget for an AV mod like the Longhorn Engineer's? http://longhornengin.../atari-av-mods/ Just something to consider as the output is pretty noisy even when you try for the best possible tweaking of the modulator. I've been thinking about getting one to sharpen up the pixels as much as I can since softness of picture is welcome but static never looks good.

Shame about the Harmony cart being an ill fit into a 6 switch since that's what I got, still I agree with SpiceWare the hidden switches are annoying on the 4 switch which will be bothersome to reach for if you give them functions. Too bad the 7800 isn't a 100% compatible but it should get you started till you get any different models along the way. Good luck finding a Heavy Sixer friend. :)

I've just started developing code for the Atari 2600. It's an exciting and complicated programming environment, however, so far, I can only test my code on emulators because I do not have an actual console. Ultimately, I would like to have an actual 2600 console to "acid" test my code.

Been shopping at eBay and I am a bit confused by all the varieties of the VCS 2600 console offered. Darth Vader, 2600 Jr, Sunnyvale Promo, 7800, Telegames, Six Switch, 2600 Woodie, Sears, Heavy Sixer, etc.

My question, is there any particular console that I should be looking for that is the "one"?

Thanks

jdrose,

excellet project! I agree with SpiceWare on the 6 switch; that's the best interface and the switches are all easy to throw like switches should be :)

Don't think you need a composite mod, two snap on ferrite blocks should clean the RF signal.

I think you will really like the phat sound on the TIA! It's a flexible chip and difficult to emulate completely.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I finally got an Atari 7800 yesterday. I went with the 7800 because, as mentioned above, it is like getting two consoles in one.

After using 2600/7800 emulators on the PC I think I got used to the sharp graphics. I am surprised at how lo-res and difficult the games are to see when using the RF modulator and antenna input on the TV. I think my first mod is going to be composite output. :-)

• Like 1