IGNORED

Wow! Atari Karts is an 8 on the rarity guide?

82-T/A

That's pretty impressive. What has caused so many of these games to become so rare?

I haven't really been paying much attention to the "scene"... but when I graduated from HS back in the mid to late 90s... the Jaguar was getting excessed / clearanced from all of the stores. I can remember places like KB Toys selling cartridges for $2.99 each (brand new in the box) and CD games for $7.99 each. I bought pretty much everything I could get my hands on. I don't think I paid more than $10 bucks for Atari Karts in the box. Now it seems most of these games are becoming nearly impossible to find. I see only 1 used one on eBay, and the guy is asking $75 bucks (which doesn't even include shipping)...

Damn... that's all I can say.

I never would've thought Atari Karts to be a Rarity 8 considering it hasn't been that hard to get ahold of in the past, but now that I take a look at some recent auctions I see that a completed listing for a cart only copy ended at $102. Never really got into the game considering the aweful character roster, depressing music, collision issues, slow pacing, and lack of interesting offensive items. Had some decent graphics though, and the split-screen 2p mode doesn't hurt either.

I actually enjoy the game more now than I did when I initially played it, but yeah, definitely not $100 worthy. It's interesting to see that a cart-only sold for that much (that is, it actually sold, right?). I recall CIB versions have been going for about that value recently. Someone must have been desperate! :lol:

I remember getting Atari Karts from Software Etc. in the late 90's for $10 and then paying $50 for it years later. lol

It's definitely a *good* Jaguar game. I like the colors and gameplay well enough. Bentley is cool, as are some of the other characters. I don't mind the uber-fictional aspect of them at all. Same with the Trevor McFur cast.

I do feel there *is* something slightly "depressing" about the atmosphere though that I can't exactly put my finger on. It's a little dark perhaps. Probably a combination of things (gloomy music/color choices) but I feel that way about a handful of other British and European games across other platforms, including the Amiga. I just chalk it up to a difference in style and culture is all. :)

Ehm........ I like the music in Atari Karts :ponder:

...... Actually, I like it a lot!!! :)

I do too! Especially that piano piece after you finish a race - it's kind of sad sounding and doesn't really fit the game, but I like it anyway.

Atari Karts is one of those games that COULD have been really amazing - but unfortunately doesn't quite seem finished. I love the art, colors, backgrounds a lot too. It's too bad they didn't use more licensed characters as well.

Edited by Jagman
  • Like 2

I've actually always really liked this game. Back in the day (well, early 2000s) on the rare chance that my roommates and I would stay home and play video games, this was one of the ones that we'd actually play. This game and NBA Jam. But Atari Karts really worked well as a two-player game.

• Like 1