IGNORED

ColecoVision Arcade Controller (FINAL Prototype!)

retroillucid

Decision made tonight....

I'll offer an optional Arcade Controller box for those who really want one :)

Are you talking about the mock up you did in the picture? If so you know I would want that :grin: :thumbsup:

Yes, but it was made from the Expansion Module #1 Box ....so there's Atari2600 screenshots...

The box I'll make, will have homebrew games screenshots instead and hopefully, a whole better picture of the Arcade Controller itself ;)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

- do ANY game support the side pinball buttons at the moment.

Not yet, I'm planning to release at least one Pinball game on my own

Is button mapping fixed (or perhaps configurable via dip switches on the PCB) - can you tell us?

Side buttons are set to * and #

Any reason for that choice of mapping? If it was mapped to Left Joystick and Right Joystick it would be neat to use for Midnight Magic and Video Pinball on the 2600.

It would also be neat to map the joystick to some of the buttons for Decathlon or playing Omega Race with rotate buttons instead of using the joystick. I still prefer "Asteroid" type controls over joysticks for games like that.

- do ANY game support the side pinball buttons at the moment.

Not yet, I'm planning to release at least one Pinball game on my own

Is button mapping fixed (or perhaps configurable via dip switches on the PCB) - can you tell us?

Side buttons are set to * and #

Any reason for that choice of mapping? If it was mapped to Left Joystick and Right Joystick it would be neat to use for Midnight Magic and Video Pinball on the 2600.

It would also be neat to map the joystick to some of the buttons for Decathlon or playing Omega Race with rotate buttons instead of using the joystick. I still prefer "Asteroid" type controls over joysticks for games like that.

We decided to use Left & Right buttons instead of * & # for Pinball buttons ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

:-o :-o :-o - Looks fantastic J-F! How about a $1 per month for 250 months? ;)

What about a 30 days only?

First day: You give me only 1 cent

Second day : You give me 2 cents

Third day: You give me 4 cents

Fourth day: You give me 8 cents

Fifth day: You give me 16 cents

And so on ..... each next day you give me the double of the previous day until you reach 30 days

Sounds good? :D

That would be more than $5.3 million dollars!!!!!!!! I know that old trick...good one :)

I'll take the no interest payment plan thanks! :P :-D

Edited by Brockolye

I don't understand why you would not use Molex connectors for connecting the wires to the board. I know this would add a little cost but wires directly soldered to the board are surely going to be prone, long term, to possible failure/breakage if anyone does any kind of "maintenance".

I don't understand why you would not use Molex connectors for connecting the wires to the board. I know this would add a little cost but wires directly soldered to the board are surely going to be prone, long term, to possible failure/breakage if anyone does any kind of "maintenance".

Cost is a major factor. These are expensive enough as it is! Soldering a wire is also fairly easy to do. These things take a long time to assemble, and extra steps add to the assembly time (and cost). A few of the PCBs have headers on the keypad, and two connectors attaching to it. I didn't use them, because the insertion tool for the wires was too slow and physically painful. Solution: solder directly.

As far as maintenance goes, re-soldering a wire should be just as easy as fixing a connector.

By the way, what specific Molex connectors are you thinking of... I think you've mentioned them for the component video mod kit... I'll investigate and consider them for any future projects.

• 2 weeks later...

This controller looks really professional.The $250 price is a lot, not that it's not worth that.Thing is, it looks pretty heavy, thus costing mega bucks for shipping.How heavy is it?

This controller looks really professional.The $250 price is a lot, not that it's not worth that.Thing is, it looks pretty heavy, thus costing mega bucks for shipping.How heavy is it?

I held the prototype in my hands last March, and I think it's roughly the weight of a ColecoVision console, maybe a little lighter.

I'm not sure if the casing on the final product will be as heavy as the one on the prototype I saw, however...