IGNORED

Atari Disk Browser

Farb

In the course of reverse-engineering / understanding the PRO and ATX disk formats, I wrote a program that allows me to view sector data and get a visual representation of a disk's sector map. It currently supports SD ATR/PRO/ATX images. If anyone feels they might benefit from it's use, just say so and I'll clean it up and release it. It's written in Java so I could create application bundles for Mac and Windows.

post-8685-0-62153100-1329025846_thumb.jpg

Edited by Farb
  • Like 4

You said "... get a visual representation of a disk's sector map" - I assumed you're doing some sort of VTOC map processing or something?

Non-Dos = most original game disks, so you'd not want to make any assumptions about data structures being present, sometimes including the boot record.

Add a disassembler and you might have a killer app.

You said "... get a visual representation of a disk's sector map" - I assumed you're doing some sort of VTOC map processing or something?

Ah, what I meant by "sector map" is simply a visual representation of all sector statuses (e.g. good, empty, bad, duplicate, missing). Bad choice of terms... it doesn't try to make sense of the data on the disk.

Nice work Farb! I'd be interested in using it.

Great idea! I'd like it too. Windows version.

Cool, I'll work on getting it a little more polished and release it.

Can you add the option to view two disks side by side for comparison?

Perhaps. At the moment, I want to improve ATX support in SIO2Arduino (which is one of the reasons I wrote the disk browser in the first place).

• Like 1

I have just tried it with the original SDRIVE.ATR image (medium density) and it writes: "Invalid or unsupported ATR file." I have Java 1.6.0_26 installed. Is the medium format unsupported (yet) or I do something wrong?

Correct, as mentioned in the first post it only supports SD images at the moment.

Very nice!

Really nice program Farb! Never was there a simpler way to browse the sector data of Atari disk images. Thanks for sharing.

I'm glad you guys like it. I'm working on adding a save capability so it can be used as a file converter. It's been interesting to convert some ATX images to PRO and have them work :-)