IGNORED

Your favorite arcade game to play in an emulator?

Room 34

What's your favorite arcade game to play in an emulator (like MAME)?

I find that while the emulators often do a spot-on job of emulating the appearance, gameplay, and sound of an arcade game (after all, that's what an emulator is for, and if it can properly run the ROM code it should work flawlessly), one thing that is often a problem is the control, especially for Mac users who may not have as many game controllers at their disposal.

I find that some games just do not translate well to playing on the keyboard. The Pac-Man games are an example of this, for me.

Right now my favorite game to play in emulation, if you haven't guessed, is DIG DUG.

Asteroids is another good one, especially since its controllers were just a bunch of buttons anyway. However, I actually own an Asteroids machine, so it just doesn't feel right to play the emulator. (Kind of like the other night, I was playing Dig Dug in MacMAME on my iBook, and my wife accused me of playing Atari 2600 games in Stella, even though I was sitting RIGHT next to a TV and my Atari 7800! I explained that I was playing arcade games, and she accepted that. I guess I am lucky that my wife doesn't just say, "What the hell are you doing sitting here in the bedroom playing Dig Dug on your laptop??? LOSER!")

I really love Tapper and Bank Panic! Wonderfully addictive and totally manic!! I remember getting upto 600,000 on Bank Panic without losing a man and then lost them all in quick succession because the game just got ridiculous after that..

Also Battlezone would be my most played one, but the controls are awful on a PC..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
And I can't think of any other game with the same sort of game engine.

Then you're forgetting Miss Nude World 96, Fantasia, and New Fantasia amongst others I think ;)

Sorry I should have said any non-adult games ;)

Oh, then how about Qix, Super Qix, Twin Qix etc.? :D

xSuper_Qix.png

• 1 month later...

Mr. Do! My current high score on this one after practicing it on and off for a year and a half is 643,000. I've tried to download inp files from MARP to see how people who have scored over a million on this game do it, but I can never get the files to play back! :x

--Jason

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh my, I just discovered MAME about 2 months ago and I LOVE it :love: my favorite games right now are.

CRAZY CLIMBER "2"

JUMP BUG

SCRAMBLE

LOOPING

TRAVERSE USA

TRACK AND FEILD AND HYPER SPORTS

STAR CASTLE

LOST TOMB

Many many more but I will try and refrain for now.

In MAME I enjoy playing Ghost'n'Goblins (Has anyone can get past the clouds level (last level) I cant)

GnG is one of my all time favourites, played it a lot in MAME. But I still can’t beat the fifth level. That miserable caped and hairy end of level critter kills me every time. And it takes me forever to get there, admittedly I have gotten worse at the game :D. Back in school I used to play at every break. I had no problems getting to level 5 with one credit, but I still got killed by the boss... Any tricks to beat him?... anyone? I heard that theres supposed to be a gap in the floor where he cant get to you...

Apart from Gng, I love Robotron ...

Mr. Do! My current high score on this one after practicing it on and off for a year and a half is 643,000. I've tried to download inp files from MARP to see how people who have scored over a million on this game do it, but I can never get the files to play back!  :x  

--Jason

Do the 255 lives trick. ;)