IGNORED

PS Vita owner's thread - Post experiences here!

goldenegg

Motorstorm RC looks fun and has PS3 compatibility as well.

From what I read, you can't play Wipeout 2048 on a PS3. The bonus appears to be free DLC if you own Wipeout HD and HD Fury on the PS3 that gives Vita owners the tracks tracks from the PS3 games which they can then play online against PS3 owners.

• Like 1

@GKC

I'd heard the Browser doesn't really work well,how did it work for you?

Overall it's just okay. It's rather slow and pages are constantly loading when you scroll up and down. It's useable but I found using the Internet on my iPad much better. It's on par with using the Internet on the iPhone. The iPhones browser is much faster but the Vita has a bigger screen making it easier to navigate so it's basically a wash there for me. Overall, if you bought this with the hopes of it taking over for your internet needs I think you will be disappointed. Hopefully future updates with fix the browser.

Hopefully future updates with fix the browser.

That would be cool... however, if how Sony handled the PSP browser is any indication, it's hard to tell if they are willing to keep up with the software updates necessary for a browser to remain current and useful. Fingers crossed, though ;)

Uh oh. :o

The Browser got better later on,from my experience anyway and from owning all of the units and being an owner from the beginning in '05. :)

The 1001 was the worst unit with the Browser though,imho.Later Firmware helped the PSP along,I think.

@GKC

Did you have to do a Firmware upon first use?I heard the Japanese units had to do it.

Edited by chris_lynx1989

The Browser got better later on,from my experience anyway and from owning all of the units and being an owner from the beginning in '05. :)

The 1001 was the worst unit with the Browser though,imho.Later Firmware helped the PSP along,I think.

@GKC

Did you have to do a Firmware upon first use?I heard the Japanese units had to do it.

Yup and of the 2 games I've tried so far (Uncharted and Wipeout), both had patches waiting.

:roll: Oh boy!

Patches waiting?? :lol:

Hmmm.. reminds me of good old Windows releases for the PC. :roll: :lol:

Things and times never change,do they? :mad:

The more technologically advanced we become,the more backstepping and repairing crap we do... :roll:

I just hope the Vita doesn't fall into the "Golden Abyss" they've created for it. :lol:

• Like 1

There is a massive amount of video content available on PSN. I downloaded an Ice Road Truckers trailer yesturday. It doesn't appear to be in high def, when is a shame. I have gotten used to the operating system and find it pretty easy to use. Having try-before-you-buy demos is a great idea. I powered up my 3DS after, and found the e-shop very confusing to navigate by comparison. I didn't find Vita's browser to be slow or problematic at all, about on par with my iPhone 3GS. I'm wondering if the Vita can receive viruses and if there is context that I should avoid. I would like to see PS2 games ported over- no reason why that couldn't happen, from what I can see.

Very curious about emulation possibilities on the Vita (Dreamcast, Jag, PS2, etc...).

@GKC

Yup I had the newest update.The Vita is first and foremost a gaming device. If people are buying it as a tablet they are going to be disappointed. I would describe it as a gaming device with limited tablet functionality. Not a tablet with gaming. So far I've found Uncharted to be very good, Attack of the Mutant Blob is also very good and I've found Escape Plan good as well. The only problem with Escape Plan is that score is based partly on the amount of moves you make and it's very easy to accidentally tap the rear touch pad costing you a move. It's frustrating but I've come to look at the game as just completing the puzzle without caring about the amount of moves. So far, as a gaming device, I've found the Vita to be very good. I have not been disappionted in that regard. It looks like I will be receiving 3 more games in the mail today all of which are supposed to be good as well. Really looking forward to Rayman which I haven't played on any console yet.

So, as a gaming device, the Vita is solid. As far as being a tablet all I can say is that it has potential but it's just not there yet. If you're looking for a tablet I can't recommend the Vita. Get an iPad (which is only roughly twice the price :) ). I bought the Vita because I haven't really played any Sony games since the PS1 days. So I was interested in playing Resistance, Little Big Planet, Uncharted, God of War, Killzone, etc all the games I've missed out on from Sony the past decade. It's a bonus to me that it has a web browser or Facebook app etc. They are something I didn't really care about since I have an iPad already.

Edited by GKC

just a quick run down of the games I recieved recently for the Vita:

Rayman is amazing. It's almost the perfect side scrolling platformer. Almost but sometimes the controls get a little finicky. Like for example, I would have liked to have seen holding the jump button to glide but instead you have to push it twice which I found to be a little tedious at times especially when you need to glide quickly after jumping. Sometimes Rayman will get caught running in place where you have to release the buttons to gain back control. The L button is run when I am always use to one of the face buttons being run on platformers. These things don't detract from the game though. The good about this game is so far and above the bad. I especialy loved the shmup levels at the end of each island. Good change of pace and they are very good. So good in fact that I think Ubisoft would be crazy not to pursue a stand alone Rayman shmup. It's too bad games like this dont sell better. Ubisoft did a great job and I wish they would have been rewarded for their efforts which would have, in turn, led to more great games like this one. Highly recommended.

ModNation I found tough. The later races get pretty chaotic and it's hard to tell if you have control of your vehicle at all. People have complained of frame rate issues but I didn't notice anything too bad but then again I am used to playing the Jaguar :) There is serious lag though during the menu screen which is pretty annoying. I can't recommend this game at it's current price but it's a decent kart racer which wouldn't be a bad value if you found it in the bargain bin in 6 months or so. Especially if you're someone that likes customization. I didn't dig into that aspect of the game too much but from the little I did it seems very deep.

Little Deviants is a series of mini games that add up to somewhat of an overall story. All the mini games that I've played so far have worked well with the different control schemes you are tasked to use. The Vita's touch screen and rear touch pad are very responsive and accurate which make LD an enjoyable game. And you will use all the functions of the Vita. There is a reason people are calling this a tech demo. This is another game that would have high value if you picked it up on sale or in a bargain bin down the road.

So far I haven't played a game I haven't liked on the Vita. Like I said before, as a gaming device, the Vita is solid. I hope Sony can tweak the apps to make it more of an all around device which I think would help Sony in the long run (a true functioning tablet with top of the line gaming for $250 would be a steal).

Edited by GKC

Sure they do!

Why, when I was young a reboot fixed EVERYTHING. Nowadays those bricks keep on being prime doorstops no matter how many times you flick it on and off.

That was kinda my point. ;) Bricked units seem to be common since JagCD on,you know?I've not had those problems with any of my handhelds,SegaCD,DC and etc!Why 360 and PS3 and all?At least,Vita has dumped that piss poor Blu-ray. :roll: I don't like or buy garbage!Why sell it??

Edited by chris_lynx1989

@GKC

Thanks.

You need to let us know about Asphalt Injection,Marvel vs Capcom,Michael Jackson: The Experience and others too!

Yeah,I had a go at FIFA '12,Little Deviants and Uncharted yesterday.

I found the rear pad confusing on LD.Also,the touchscreen doesn't always respond well,I think.And load times remind me of my PSP and DLs or UMDs... What in the Hell is up with that??Where's that blazingly fast 2Ghz processor at,Sony?I'll admit the OLED is fine though!Except,for use outside or in a car. :( :( :(

@GKC

Thanks.

You need to let us know about Asphalt Injection,Marvel vs Capcom,Michael Jackson: The Experience and others too!

Yeah,I had a go at FIFA '12,Little Deviants and Uncharted yesterday.

I found the rear pad confusing on LD.Also,the touchscreen doesn't always respond well,I think.And load times remind me of my PSP and DLs or UMDs... What in the Hell is up with that??Where's that blazingly fast 2Ghz processor at,Sony?I'll admit the OLED is fine though!Except,for use outside or in a car. :( :( :(

Haha I need to play my 360 more. I'm so use to the PS1 and JagCd load times that I haven't even noticed the load times on the Vita.

Haha I need to play my 360 more.I'm so used to the PS1 and JagCD load times that I haven't even noticed the load time on the Vita.

How could you not?I mean,even Dreamcast and SegaCD seem long.PSP times remind me of my SegaCDX loading my fave Lethal Enforcers.LOVED that game in the arcade and at home. :)

I've read review complaints of Vita load times from others too. :)

Edited by chris_lynx1989

I do not find the load times to be exceptional, under 10 seconds. Keep in mind that there is probably a lot more information being processed. On Rayman, you can control him during the load sequences, and he does actually move slower.

Gameplay remains solid with no decreased framerates that I can see.

At times,I've seen more than 10 sec.I counted on one occasion I can remember that it was 58 sec.That seemed rather excessive and PSP UMD-esque to me. ;) :roll: :mad:

Aren't handheld games supposed to be in quick,possible bite-sized chucks and all?Don't LONG load times blow that out of the water? :unsure: