IGNORED

AtariAge Store - Boxes

mos6507

Neither of mine looks QUITE like that either!

Mine does. Could you post a scan please?

I can scan them if you really want but the differences are very very minor. The CX80 version has "cartridge made by AtariAge" rather than the Fugi in the lower left hand corner. Both have the TM following the "Missile Command" rather than the "TB". The CX22 version is also that way on the end label. Like I said, very miner differences but there nonetheless.

I can scan them if you really want but the differences are very very minor.  The CX80 version has "cartridge made by AtariAge" rather than the Fugi in the lower left hand corner.  Both have the TM following the "Missile Command" rather than the "TB".  The CX22 version is also that way on the end label.  Like I said, very miner differences but there nonetheless.

Ahh, yes, you have a newer version of the cart. I'll have to take new pictures for the store to reflect these minor differences. We're not too keen on using the Atari name and logo without permission from Infogrames, which is one of the reasons we removed it. And the ™ should have been next to "Missile Command" all along, that was a mistake we fixed. :)

..Al

• 2 weeks later...
I stumbled across these guys and wondered if their VCR box would be suitable. Seems cost effective.

http://www.catalogmax.biz/price30.htm

Interesting, but the box is only 4 1/8" wide and most homebrew manuals (at least the ones we've been doing) are 5" x 7". However, they are pretty cheap and depending on the quality of the printing and finishing it's not a bad deal. It's too bad they don't have any other boxes (at least not listed on their site)..

..Al

Someone mentioned something similar to this and the idea struck me like a ton of bricks.

In the printing industry it's not uncommon to print blank business cards. You make your nice, high quality, colorful design and get, say, 20,000 of them printed.

When new hires are made you send sheets of blanks to your printer and have them only add the name.

This is MUCH more cost effective because you get the quantity discount on the expensive part of the printing - the four color part. Then when you go back to do the names you only pay for single-color on supplied stock.

So, what if you do this: Have a large quantity of boxes printed up that mimic a particular style, say, silver label or red label 2600 games. Don't print the name of the game or the description on the box.

When you need 50 or so boxes for Game X, you just have Game X printed on the spines, and a text description on the back, similar to the gatefold style boxes. As for the front, since you can't do the four-color art on the second run, why not slap on an actual cart label? Professional, four-color, high quality production at a reduced cost.

The problem of course would be that you couldn't actually do the red-label style since they printed white text. But you could do something similar to silver label design and even have the text be red or blue, depending on whether the game is 2600 or 5200.

It would take a sizable investment to be cost effective, 'cause you'd probably want to order at least a thousand "blanks." But you never have the problem of having too many boxes for a particular title 'cause you'd never have to run more than 50 or 100 of each title's box at a time. You'd also have the consistency of the entire "product line" having a similar look.

Folding and assembly are still two entirely different issues. But, perhaps this is a start.