IGNORED

Rampage

7800Lover

Anyone here like Rampage on the Atari 7800? I owned a copy of this game years ago which was lost. I managed to buy a cartridge of it a year ago and rediscovered how much fun it is.

Based on the arcade game, you play one of three giant monsters - George the ape, Lizzie the lizard or Ralph the Wolf. And what does any self-respecting giant monster do? Trash cities! You spend much of the game in various cities, eating people, destroying buildings and smashing vehicles while fighting off soldiers, tanks, and helicopters.

To be honest, this port of Rampage has a lot of things going for it. This game is stronger to the arcade title IMHO than the NES version. I actually did play the NES version and while that one has better sound and graphics, Ralph the wolf was missing! You could only play George or Lizzie.

Played the 2600 version of Rampage for the first time recently (as part of the 2600 high score contest), but found it to be pretty lame --- way too easy and quickly becomes monotonous, although it does retain a certain retro-charm to it. I'm looking forward to trying the 7800 version. I don't have a copy, so I'll have to play it on emulator.

Rampage is a good 7800 game. It is at its best when two people play it. It was one of the first Atari 7800 games I ever got in 1989. I felt it was better than the Nes version.

When my friends came over back, this was a favorite to play on the 7800 back in the early 1990's. We had a kick out of our city being in the game and was a fun two play game.

Edited by 8th lutz

How long is this one? IIRC, the SMS version is just about right, and the NES version is way too damn long.

If memory serves, there's no actual ending to this port. It loops back around and you have unlimited continues. That can be a good or bad thing, depending on what you want out of the game.

How long is this one? IIRC, the SMS version is just about right, and the NES version is way too damn long.

132 levels and then it repeats.

I'm mixed on it.

One is RAMPAGE in general. I find all of the versions I've played to be fun at first, but repetitive quickly. 7800 included.

On the 7800 specifically, I thought the graphics could have been much better. The monsters look like muppet babies and the buildings have no detail.

Check out the CoCo version: