IGNORED

What was Atari thinking?

BillyHW

I guess just posting my opinion about a game system just wasn't wise, Who knew all the cry babies would come out of the woodwork. Sorry fellas, I had no idea posting that was going to stir the pot. And again, If you think it was flaming or trolling, you seriously need to lay off the energy drinks. Have a nice day guys.

No not at all! It's always a good idea to come to a website and bitch about one of the favorite sons (so to speak) of that website. Especially when it's clear you're talking of something you obviously have no experience with, beyond what you've read!

Welcome to Atari Age! Let us know what other Atari stuff you think sucks. We value your opinion greatly!

No not at all! It's always a good idea to come to a website and bitch about one of the favorite sons (so to speak) of that website. Especially when it's clear you're talking of something you obviously have no experience with, beyond what you've read!

Welcome to Atari Age! Let us know what other Atari stuff you think sucks. We value your opinion greatly!

I had the 5200, so... I think I know what I'm talking about. The controllers were a disaster, The console was probably bigger than the 2600, and the release games were lackluster. No point in getting mad at me about it. And your, Favorite son, as you put it wouldn't be very interesting if not for the discussions and objectionable opinions by members such as myself.

This isn't exactly on topic, but since were talking about the 5200. I was listening to a recent All Gen Gamers podcast, and they were talking about best/worst looking systems. A few of them said the 5200 is one of the worst. OMG! I think it is one Big Sexy System. :lust:

• Like 1

This isn't exactly on topic, but since were talking about the 5200. I was listening to a recent All Gen Gamers podcast, and they were talking about best/worst looking systems. A few of them said the 5200 is one of the worst. OMG! I think it is one Big Sexy System. :lust:

They're likely the same sort that thought the Gamecube was the best looking or best designed.

The look is something my 5 year old could have come up with. Great system, horribly drab, unimaginative design.

lol, yeah, it's definetily not a looker. I've always liked the Panosonic "Q" gamecube though, I believe it was a Japan only release...

post-9102-0-38059300-1370616782_thumb.jpgpost-9102-0-84551000-1370616792_thumb.jpgpost-9102-0-42520000-1370616802_thumb.jpg

Has kind of a "sci-fi" look to it :)

lol, yeah, it's definetily not a looker. I've always liked the Panosonic "Q" gamecube though, I believe it was a Japan only release...

post-9102-0-38059300-1370616782_thumb.jpgpost-9102-0-84551000-1370616792_thumb.jpgpost-9102-0-42520000-1370616802_thumb.jpg

Has kind of a "sci-fi" look to it :)

Yeah that is better (still a dull cube though :P )

The *retro* sci-fi look though is pretty awesome. Looks like something Elroy Jetson would have played...futuristic in a 60's kind of way.

• Like 1

I find that quite odd, since I think the design language Atari created with the 5200 (and continued with the 2600 Jr and the 7800) still looks modern/current today. It is mostly black with a nice big piece of polished aluminum trim going across the front, not exactly a polarizing design.

Since many electronic devices in the 80's still had wood grain and/or aluminum trim, I think the design of the 5200, 7800, and the 2600 Jr. was ahead of it's time. Basically all black with a simple surface and shiny aluminum trim. So awesome!

Wow.

Same. Old. Tired. Crap.

Did you even own a 5200 back in the 80's? My guess is not. So much wrong with your flame, I'll pick on the most egregious of stale complaints....

Don't know the guy, but if he owned an Atari 400 back in the early 80s (or 1979) then he'd have one done right.

I've always been curious:

I believe that the reason that the 5200 was cartridge-incompatible was because of the rivalry between the computer and consumer videogame divisions.

But what if they hadn't done that? What if the computer carts worked on the 5200? So the RAM layout is the same, everything is the same... (heck, keep the 5200 sticks the way they were, converting analog to digital signals isn't that weird).

Wouldn't that have sold more of the 5200 systems? The library of games would have been a lot larger at launch.

Wouldn't that have sold more Atari computers, because the software market would have been stronger?

Wouldn't that have been better for consumers? When they were ready to jump from gaming machine to a computer, they wouldn't have to buy their favorite games again?

THAT'S what makes me wonder what Atari was thinking. A strong CEO would have brought the divisions together when it made sense to.

P.S. I'm a 5200 owner. I'm still amazed that Atari greenlit those joysticks. What the--??

LoTonah, please keep in mind that today - 2013 - after the NES, SNES/GENESIS, PS1/N64, PS2/XBOX, and PS3/X360 generations we've had the advantages of learning a LOT of lessons about design, marking change ups, generational upgrades and all that. Back with the 5200 and 7800? Not so much. What seems obvious to us now was completely unheard of back then. You have to cut them a little slack.

Zylon, actually, that type of joystick was a 'development fad' back then, and it wasn't just Atari doing it - TI, Commodore, and Tandy CoCo all had similar sticks. The idea was that they were 'less for kids' and 'more simulational' than reguar arcade-like sticks.

Actually, here's the relevant quote from AA's 5200 FAQ, emphasis mine:

The 5200 was created at a time when poor marketing and questionable company policy ran rampant within Atari. The 5200 controller was developed by an individual who had NEVER even played a single video game in his life! Response to the controllers from focus groups and clinics were poor, but the marketing arm stubbornly insisted on releasing the system with the "groundbreaking" elements intact. In addition, the controller was partially influenced by corporate policy where hardware designers and engineers were offered bonuses for creating designs that received patents. Not surprisingly, many engineers and designers developed hardware that were innovative for the sake of being "original", with complete disregard for functionality.

THAT'S what makes me wonder what Atari was thinking.

At the time, Atari wasn't thinking... at least with common sense. Remember the old saying, too many cooks spoil the broth.

Actually, here's the relevant quote from AA's 5200 FAQ, emphasis mine:

Right, but keep in mind what I said. At the time, game consoles were being decried as 'overpriced children's toys' so marketing was desperate to do ANYTHING that could make it sound like these were 'more than toys', or 'educational' or 'for adults', etc. Even though those kinds of sticks were nearly universally hated, marketing types demanded their use and inclusion so they could say "Look, it's for flight simulators and PRECISION controls, not stupid video games games!" This kinda of language was all over the boys and adverts at the time.

Gah! Not liking that everyone focused on my one little jab at the controllers instead of pondering my real question.

My original point was that Atari was doing most of this FOR THE FIRST TIME and things which seemed more obvious or simple for us now, with 30 years of hindsight, hadn't yet been done and even 'computer gaming' was seen as just another expensive toy fad that was overdue for passing on.

My original point was that Atari was doing most of this FOR THE FIRST TIME and things which seemed more obvious or simple for us now, with 30 years of hindsight, hadn't yet been done and even 'computer gaming' was seen as just another expensive toy fad that was overdue for passing on.

And my point is that you're wrong, most everybody at the time knew that the 5200 controllers sucked. Analog X/Y joysticks were nothing new-- they'd existed on the Apple II for years prior to the 5200.

Edited by ZylonBane

And my point is that you're wrong, most everybody at the time knew that the 5200 controllers sucked. Analog X/Y joysticks were nothing new-- they'd existed on the Apple II for years prior to the 5200.

I gotta ask..not to doubt what you're saying, but where does this information come from? Your quote from the 5200 faq certainly points to early disapproval from "focus groups", but those aren't people *inside* atari necessarily. I can understand people who played the games for ten minutes in a trial not liking them, but like many other controllers out there, you don't always love them from the first time you use them. Seems to me like the Atari employees might have played more than a few times, and by then if they're halfway decent games, probably changed their opinions...Maybe from a quality standpoint, since the firs buttons were known to wear out fast...???