IGNORED

Any new updates on Caves of Kroz or Mystery Castle games

But only if it was limited edition, artisanal, hand crafted Running Man TP, autographed by the artist that created it.Then I'd buy two rolls. One for collecting and one for......errm...nevermind. :P

Seldom has that word been so appropriately chosen!

intellivision_toilet_paper.jpg

Well, I guess now we know why he's always running...

You know, everybody calls that level the "pie factory" (even I did as a kid when I first saw that level on the C64 version), but those are supposed to be trays of mixed cement. :-)

Well known. :-)

But somehow, I don't think people would really accept me calling it the "cement factory" either

. Everybody, I mean everybody, thought they were pies.

As a compromise, I simply call them cement pies. ;-)

You know, everybody calls that level the "pie factory" (even I did as a kid when I first saw that level on the C64 version), but those are supposed to be trays of mixed cement. :-)

Well known. :-)

But somehow, I don't think people would really accept me calling it the "cement factory" either

. Everybody, I mean everybody, thought they were pies.

As a compromise, I simply call them cement pies. ;-)

The "pies," along with the work "Donkey" in the title, add just that little bit of surrealism that matches what I think of when I think of Japan.

It starts with pies in a sky scraper and it ends with walking mushrooms, flying turtles and spinning around in the air while wearing a raccoon tail...

Edited by intvnut

Hey, where is Groovybee with his Mystery Castle game!?!?!?!

I haven't updated it in a while :(. I have a version on my hard drive where doors open and close randomly and I also did some new graphics to add to the walls to make them more interesting to look at and some graphics for a few animated baddies too.

I had hoped to get back into Inty development after Easter (just gone ;)) but it looks like it'll be later in the summer now. The game was going to be a version of my 7800 XM game "Halloween" but I think I'll take the Inty version in a slightly different direction.

• Like 1

But only if it was limited edition, artisanal, hand crafted Running Man TP, autographed by the artist that created it.Then I'd buy two rolls. One for collecting and one for......errm...nevermind. :P

Seldom has that word been so appropriately chosen!

intellivision_toilet_paper.jpg

Well, I guess now we know why he's always running...

LOL! I wasn't even conscious of that when I chose to use that word. Nice. :-D What would Freud say?

Hey, where is Groovybee with his Mystery Castle game!?!?!?!

I haven't updated it in a while :(. I have a version on my hard drive where doors open and close randomly and I also did some new graphics to add to the walls to make them more interesting to look at and some graphics for a few animated baddies too.

I had hoped to get back into Inty development after Easter (just gone ;)) but it looks like it'll be later in the summer now. The game was going to be a version of my 7800 XM game "Halloween" but I think I'll take the Inty version in a slightly different direction.

Great to see you around GB! I like the sound of your INTV plans for this game. Just sayin.

Great to see you around GB! I like the sound of your INTV plans for this game. Just sayin.

I was pretty busy trying to get a couple of XM games up to release candidate level for AC2012 last month but they didn't quite make it (Halloween was one of them) and still need more work.

Sounds like you've got a lot on your plate still with the XM. Take your time, we'll be patiently waiting here for you, ready to constantly ask, "Is Mystery Castle ready yet? :-D By the way, I have some shells for you as discussed.

Sounds like you've got a lot on your plate still with the XM. Take your time, we'll be patiently waiting here for you, ready to constantly ask, "Is Mystery Castle ready yet? :-D

The Inty CPU is is a ton of fun to write code for and that is a big draw for me.

By the way, I have some shells for you as discussed.

:cool: Excellent!

The "pies," along with the work "Donkey" in the title, add just that little bit of surrealism that matches what I think of when I think of Japan.

It starts with pies in a sky scraper and it ends with walking mushrooms, flying turtles and spinning around in the air while wearing a raccoon tail...

And then there's this.

And then there's this.

You know you're WAY too into video games when your first thought is "That looks fun!" and you start googling bathrooms in your local area ... (although, assuming there aren't many of these in Cleveland ...)

The Inty CPU is is a ton of fun to write code for and that is a big draw for me.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks this way. I cut my teeth on the TMS9900 and later 6502, but of the three, I feel like I can crank out CP-1610 the best. It just feels more straightforward, so I can focus on writing the program rather than figuring out, say, the best way to multiplex the accumulator. Don't get me wrong: I had a blast writing the 6502 code that I did. I just feel more productive on the CP-1610. I've poked at Z80 briefly, and while I can manage it, it's not my fave. I've been spoiled by 16 bit registers. :-)

(TMS9900 wasn't too bad, actually. It had slightly better addressing modes, and more registers. It's been 20 years since I've written any TMS9900 assembly though, so I can't really compare it to anything. And, any machine that renames "logical OR" to "Set Ones Corresponding," doesn't even have a proper stack, and numbers its buses so that bit 0 is the most significant bit has gotta be a little wacky in my opinion.)

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks this way.

To me it feels like a cut down version of ARM which is an architecture I've spent many years coding stuff for.

I can kinda see that. It does feel a bit RISC-y given the Spartan instruction set, although it does still offer direct-mode instructions. It kinda has to, with only 6 general purpose registers. If it had more registers (and was actually pipelined), it could go more fully to a LD/ST architecture like ARM's. (See, this is what happens when you start talking computer architecture to someone who's on a processor architecture team...)

Lessee... this thread started at Caves of Kroz and Mystery Castle, took a detour through blinking dots, toilet paper and urinal games, and ended up at comparative computer architecture. Wow.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks this way. I cut my teeth on the TMS9900 and later 6502, but of the three, I feel like I can crank out CP-1610 the best. It just feels more straightforward, so I can focus on writing the program rather than figuring out, say, the best way to multiplex the accumulator.

I'm not surprised. I understand that the instruction set was based on the PDP-11--the quintessential hacker's machine.

I'm not surprised. I understand that the instruction set was based on the PDP-11--the quintessential hacker's machine.

Actually, so was the TMS9900 and a couple other machines of the era. If you knew PDP-11, it was a short hop to pick up any of those machines. (Though, as I said, TMS9900 probably added the most quirks with its workspace concept and taking big endianness farther than just about anyone. And then there's CRU... the 20 wire serial bus.)

I understand that the instruction set was based on the PDP-11--the quintessential hacker's machine.

The TI MSP430 is supposed to PDP-11 based too. That's another microcontroller family I've written quite a bit of code for.

Yes, indeed. When I first saw the MSP430, it was easy to imagine it being a descendant of the CP-1600. I think you could almost write a direct translator from CP-1600 to MSP430. It's somewhat ironic that the PIC family that was born as coprocessors to the CP-1600 has such a different, quirky architecture. (Though, in recent memory, PIC24 seems to have come around to a cleaner architecture. PIC32 is just a MIPS CPU.)

I've never done any coding for PICs. Mainly because I avoid their architecture like the plague ;).

I only started with the PIC24, whose architecture is actually relatively sane. All the PIC16 and related architectures looked worse than 8051 (which I needed to learn in college), and so I stayed away from them also. The closest I got to writing code for those old PIC architectures was writing some short bits of SX52 code when Chad was doing the Intellicart. I prototyped some bankswitch decoding code for him that he ultimately fixed and finished.

Edited by intvnut

My first foray into low-level programming was in the C=64. I had the venerable Programmer's Reference Guide, but I didn't have a proper assembler, nor knew anything about it. So packed with op-codes from the Guide, and pencil and paper, I wrote my first routines in ML, which I then input using DATA statements from basic.

Surprisingly, some of them worked! None of them did anything much complex (I think they just put characters on the screen), and I didn't get very far that way. It's a stupidly hard way to program.

I did learn Hex, though. :)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Hey, stop 'nerding' up the place with all this code talk.

Just kidding! If it helps you guys figure out how to make more awesome Intellivision games...GO RIGHT AHEAD!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Edited by revolutionika
  • Like 1