IGNORED

Two PS3 slim units...dead in two days...ugh

eightbit

Well, since I have been out of the PS3 game for some time (and have tons of DLC attached to an account I have had with PSN since 2006) I decided to try to get a cheap PS3 on ebay just to log back in and get my stuff. I ended up scoring a PS3 60GB original unit for $200, that appeared to be perfect in the auction. Well, that arrived smashed in one corner. You would think it happened in shipping, but the guy used so much bubble wrap and with no outside box damage...no...he sent it to me this way. Anyway, tried to communicate it with him and he "offered" $75 off. I don't think so. I filed a dispute and he will be getting back his trash in a few days.

So, I decided to avoid ebay entirely. Something I should have done to start with. I decided to purchase a new PS3 slim 320GB model (with the free Drake game) and was convinced that Sears would be the place to get it, from my wife who has a Sears card and wants the Sears "points". Ok, whatever....I go and they have two in stock. I come home with the first one, and the HDMI port is DEAD. It just will not function. So, I go back and they make an "exception" and exchange it...claiming they usually do not allow exchanges on game consoles. Are you kidding me? I had owned it for two hours! I exchanged, got a "good" one, and figured all was said and done.

I spent yesterday re-downloaded all of my goodies. Lemmings, Echochrome, Stardust...and the other 75 titles I have not played in over two years. I was on my glory. I finished up, shut it down for the night, and went to work today. Came home tonight and powered it on to be greeted with "HD is corrupt" message and telling me to press "x" to recover. I did that..and it reboots and boots back to the same message. Spoke with Sony and they had me go into safe mode and reformat the device...still the same deal. They finally gave me the option to send it back for repair.

No way. There is no way in hell I am sending back a console for repair that is not even 24 hours old. Needless to say, Sears is going to have a fight on their hands tomorrow.

What the HELL is going on with the quality of devices lately? I never had these types of issues in the past. Well, I mean I understand things happen....but has quality control become so shoddy? Screw it...I am done buying modern consoles.

Sorry to vent, but I had to get it off of my chest. I love the PS3 (or I should say, I loved my OLD PS3) and now with such a bad taste in my mouth I just find it very difficult to trust again. Shame to, as I purchased some MORE games when I logged back in, as well as a PS+ subscription! :(

With any device you run into the chance of it being faulty, its been that way for ages. A HDD can fail as soon as its powered up, I have ran into so many more faulty HDDs then any other electronic part.

Its just a run of bad luck, we all will run into it in one point in our life from vehicles to watches to computers.

As for epay what else did you expect, which is the whole reason I hardly use that place. Glad you are forcing the hand on sending his overpriced junk pile to the seller.

I returned it to Sears today...with a 1 hour fight. I did not exchange....I will stab my eye with a pencil before I give them a penny. It is a shame really, as I grew up with Sears, buying things, shopping , etc. They have always been so good. Sign of the times I suppose.

All Sears is now is a Kmart in disguise and Ive had my fun with Kmart since it opened in my area in 1976

Since Sears got eaten (Bought) by Kmart, Sears is only a name and shadow of its former self.

Maybe wrong I thought i heard opposite Wikipedia : (for what its worth)

Merger with Kmart

On November 17, 2004, Kmart announced its intentions to purchase Sears. As a part of the purchase, the Kmart Holdings Corporation would change its name to Sears Holdings Corporation. The new corporation announced that it would continue to operate stores under both the Sears and Kmart brands.

In 2005, the company began renovating some Kmart stores and converting them to the Sears Essentials format, only to change them later to Sears Grands.[

Yeah, I used work at Sears two years ago, that's when I found out the above info. But yeah they are a shell of their former selves. Never cared for Kmart, back in the 80s- mid 90s sears is where my family always done the Xmas, bday shopping. Not today, you can usually find the same thing cheaper at another store. I would rather die then to shop at Kmart and glorified Kmart.

Hell Sears was charging more for the Xbox live cards before Ms raised the rates for live. I even think they charged more for the points cards as well.

Edited by madmax2069

Yeah, I used work at Sears two years ago, that's when I found out the above info. But yeah they are a shell of their former selves. Never cared for Kmart, back in the 80s- mid 90s sears is where my family always done the Xmas, bday shopping. Not today, you can usually find the same thing cheaper at another store. I would rather die then to shop at Kmart and glorified Kmart.

Hell Sears was charging more for the Xbox live cards before Ms raised the rates for live. I even think they charged more for the points cards as well.

IIRC Sega gave part of the reason for killing off the Dreamcast as unpaid debt K-mart weaseled out of.

• 1 month later...

I haven't seen or heard of any problems with the slims but the original models were awful. Myself and three other people I know all had blu ray drives die within 2 years and Sony wanted to charge $150 to fix them. My brother even paid the $150 and had the same problem a year later. Sony's Quality Control has really gone to hell this gen.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to simplify all of this (in regard to your return/exchange needs/situation):

I assume you paid for your Console with a credit card....?

If so, take the unit back, place it on counter, wait for manager to arrive, explain... and if they refuse a return... simply leave the item on the counter, turn on your camera on your phone, record the unit sitting on the table in good order, packed/etc... and tell the Manager to have a good day. Walk out.

Call your bank, cancel said charge.... voila

As long as you pay with Credit, you are your own Return Policy... period. It sucks that there are knowledegable theives who will try to take advantage of this but that's simply one of the pitfalls of running a Retail Store... the Customer is always right. Literally, Sears (imho) should file a claim on Sony and have Sony pay for BOTH of those faulty units.

If I was Sears, I would honor the Customers return, and take it up with Sony for a Credit on both of those units. I've zero idea what the agreement is between the Retailer and Sony though... but that is THEIR issue/problem, not the Consumers issue/problem.

penny

penny