IGNORED

800 Keyboard space bar repair?

mimo

My 800 has a dead space bar. I have checked with a multimeter and there is no connection being made.

The keyboard is a PCB with switched soldered directly to it, no mylar, traces are intact.

On removing the key cap, I can see 3 copper(?) prongs that look like they should make contact with the larger single copper contact on the other side of the key.

At some point, it looks like these have been bent out of shape.

I have straightened everything up, but still no joy.

Any ideas?

Anyone got a good 800 keyboard for sale cheap?

(this 800 was a demo machine at my local Atari dealer (May's Computers) in the 80's, so probably too quite a pounding)

(this 800 was a demo machine at my local Atari dealer (May's Computers) in the 80's, so probably too quite a pounding)

probably too many sessions of Defender

Can you bridge the connections and see if the space gets registered. I would need to get home and open up my 800 and see what you are talking about.

This is attributed to "hyperspace" in Defender,

I know, personally.

Recently, I had to break down and buy one from B&C on Ebay.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1306854975361?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=130685497536&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I know it's a lot, but it was a really nice 800 I like. Sucks, that this is a defect. I wonder if the actual failure is in the mylar, or what??? I've never seen the ACTUAL failure discussed - merely that the failure exists, and slapping the spacebar (sometimes with a big toe if the 800's on the floor, functioning as a game console) is responsible. I wonder if components from another key (from an extra, defunct 800 keyboard) couldn't be salvaged to repair the defect on the [presumably] simple contact switch that has failed?? I don't know jack, but ain't a keyboard switch a momentary switch?

Edited by wood_jl

This is attributed to "hyperspace" in Defender,

I know, personally.

Recently, I had to break down and buy one from B&C on Ebay.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1306854975361?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=130685497536&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I know it's a lot, but it was a really nice 800 I like. Sucks, that this is a defect. I wonder if the actual failure is in the mylar, or what??? I've never seen the ACTUAL failure discussed - merely that the failure exists, and slapping the spacebar (sometimes with a big toe if the 800's on the floor, functioning as a game console) is responsible. I wonder if components from another key (from an extra, defunct 800 keyboard) couldn't be salvaged to repair the defect on the [presumably] simple contact switch that has failed?? I don't know jack, but ain't a keyboard switch a momentary switch?

Thanks, I am aware that brad and Bruce have the keyboards available, but, double that price with postage to the UK, and potentially add another $50 in import duty, tax and handling fee, and it gets rather expensive.

As I said in my initial post, there is no mylar to be at fault. All the keys are in one big unit, each key individually soldered to the PCB.

If there is no easy fix, I will have to get creative with the dremmel, araldite and a micro switch. But I will probably end up killing it altogether :)

• 11 months later...

Just hit the same issue here with an 800 I'm working on. The pin under one of the contact springs under the space bar has completely fallen out, so must have parted company with the top of the spring inside the switch. It appears the 800 keyboards are IMPOSSIBLE to dismantle.

One idea I had - since I can't get the bad switch out to replace it - is to fit a second switch next to the dead one and patch it into the circuit???

Edited by flashjazzcat

Just hit the same issue here with an 800 I'm working on. The pin under one of the contact springs under the space bar has completely fallen out, so must have parted company with the top of the spring inside the switch. It appears the 800 keyboards are IMPOSSIBLE to dismantle.

One idea I had - since I can't get the bad switch out to replace it - is to fit a second switch next to the dead one and patch it into the circuit???

not a bad idea if you can ass rig it. Luckily I got a replacement , brand new but with issues (the ribbon cable not soldered on correctly and several key caps fall off way too easily!)

not a bad idea if you can ass rig it. Luckily I got a replacement , brand new but with issues (the ribbon cable not soldered on correctly and several key caps fall off way too easily!)

Yep - a couple of keys had fallen off this machine in transit too. Luckily easily re-affixed, although I see cracks on a couple of the white plungers. There's a NOS 800 keyboard for sale on eBay, but the seller points out that the plungers are a bit brittle.

Fortunately I took an ass-rigging course a while back... in fact I'm now ass-rig certified (by ARCA, the Ass-Riggers' Certification Authority). So we should be OK here. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

Right - I think I fixed this. After consulting the Ass-Rigger's Compendium last night, I decided it might be possible to access the underside of the contacts by drilling up through the PCB - so this is what I tried today.

post-21964-0-51781500-1365506858_thumb.jpg

I did the left pin in the picture first (almost severing a PCB trace - hence the jumper wire), probing inside the hole with the iron to tin the spring and then connecting a wire to the other through-hole. Then the other pin fell off so I had to do the same to the right hand spring.

Then the whole keyboard ribbon cable fell off at the PCB so I had to resolder that as well... this is just a gift which keeps on giving. :)

Anyway: it appears to work. I don't know how long it will last, but at least it's possible to type on this machine again.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

My entry for the Ass-Rigger Award.

post-10949-0-94656200-1464240309_thumb.jpg
When the pins are bent flat there is actually enough room under the keyboard for this hack to work.
I insulated the contacts in electrical tape to prevent any shorts against the resistors that lie immediately behind the joystick ports.
The keyboard works best now if you press on the right, but that's still better than no spacebar at all.
Edited by oracle_jedi
  • Like 1