IGNORED

How long is Ze_ro still absent?

Mister VCS

I talked to him recently this winter anyway, and he said work has been doubled for him, and he didn't have time to

run the HSC... in fall or winter. He might have mentioned a busy spring too...

I can PM him again, and ask if he has any free time to moderate the 2600 HSC again.

The problem with the knock out style is my job. I can't play every week so I can't play at all. Of late I haven't been able to play anything and lost the NES HSC last season because I had to stop playing with a lead. I guess over all I need to find more time to play. It is one of the things I most enjoy in life. I do like to start at the beginning of a season though. Looking forward to a season 10, maybe I can start and finish that one,.

• Like 1

I entered the HSC KO after its start but I felt the good reception from everyone and I'm enjoying the tournament even competing outside of the ko players. Even outside of the ko players I'm ranked in and I "steal" points of ko players. Jacob is doing a great job with this really exciting tournament.

But I was checking past seasons and there were many more players. Perhaps it's due to people that already had their nostalgia time and won't show up again, I dont know. But at the same time it seems some knocked out players cease their paticipation which isn't good.

That beeing said, it seems wise to wait Ze_ro answer and, with or without him, I would suggest a poll to decide from a normal HSC season or a ko HSC, maybe a 10th HSC ko season continueing the seasons and incorporating the knock out format.

But, hey, I'm just the newer ko atari player :-D

Edited by Liduario

I didn't mind the KO so much, but I like the regular version better to be honest. No offense to Jacob at all, he does a great job with it. I just kind of tanked in interest and then didn't get my score in on time. There's just something about the constant battle of the regular version and point totals.

I thororoughly enjoyed the knockout tourney format. It added an extra level of competitive intensity for me.

To win a regular season in the HSC would still require playing every week. The fact that the points continue to be tallied is incentive for me to keep playing, even after I get knocked out.

I like the survival element. Since the HSC has some of the best players in the world, it's unlikely that my 20(+-) best scores will accumulate enough points to finish first at the end of an HSC season. But knowing that any player might be eliminated on any week for any reason, makes me want to just survive to the next week, because anything can happen. I think I could make the finals someday, depending on how the games come up. Even if I don't, though, I'd have fun trying.

• Like 1

Think of the KO as an added incentive for those of us who start season 10 and play every week. Anyone can get points for any given week in the season, but the die hards have their KO on the side, too. I don't see a conflict in doing both going forward.

I like being referred to as a die hard. Sort of like Bruce Willis with an Atari joystick instead of a machine gun...

• Like 1

The KO rounds added to the normal HSC style is a great idea. I know it has been going on like that and thats cool. I guess my hold up is that I like to start at the start of a season. There are a few HSCs around here with seasons that are entirely too long, I can't remember if this was one of them or not. I know the arcade season is really long, I finally had to get out of it just because of that.

I really like the KO format of the HSC. I think everyone is incentivized to play their best. Also, the "normal" weekly points are still being tallied so it mimics the HSC format already.

I think the non-"die hards" are incentivized to play their best so as not to be knocked out. I would guess that the average score posted has gone up quite a bit. This is cool to see.

Also, I think the "die hards" are incentivized to play their best to continue to rack up the "normal" points (in addition to avoid being knocked out).

I think with this style players across the spectrum will play their best. With the points being tallied from week to week then the appeal of the normal HSC is incorporated (not lost).

I think the game slection is where the biggest difference is. For the KO format each player will likely always pick their best game whereas in a normal HSC then the moderator tries to select a good variety with some suggestions from players.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I was confused as hell after being away from HSC for a while, but this thread helped a lot. I think both formats continuing would be great! Personally, I prefer the regular HSC format as I would usually only play the games I had on hardware. Ze_ro has always done a great job running the HSC, so I would love to see him continue it, but if anyone feels they would be willing to take it on, they should speak up and the matter be considered. Did anyone ever get an update from Ze_ro?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Enjoyed my break after the winter knock-out tourney, but now I'm rearing to get back on the joystick! Has Zero's "blessing" to Jacob for the 2600 HSC expired?

Not sure if it expired but... I was hoping this "Winter Knockout" would give Zero the time off he needed for his busy job schedule.

...starting to wonder if he is stuck on a permanent time off from Atari 2600 HSC? :sleep:

I'm sure he'd be back if he had the time... :ponder:

This is the most popular HSC, it's a shame to see the seasons passing it by...

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

I think everyone has been patient. I appreciate all the work Ze_ro has put into this, but it makes no sense not to have it running this long, with no communication saying "hey guys give me until August and I'll start it back up" or something like that. If Jacob or someone else wants to run it, I say let's go! Maybe give Al a PM and see what he thinks?

• Like 1