IGNORED

DK Arcade impressions thread & Unofficial High Score Competition

Rev

Here we go, with my humble high score.

DK%20Arcade.jpg

As for the game, it shocked me into wakefulness immediately. This is HARD... but fair. You have to keep your wits about you and try to watch the whole screen at once. The timing on the screen where DK throws girders seems a bit random to get up the final ladder, but I am still in an adjustment period.

Toni's the most fun to play with for me, since his speed fits in with the difficulty of the game in general.

This is EXTREMELY well done; I think this is the best of the home console versions now.

Great score !! I thought the same about the girders as well.. Also the AI on the fire seems a little too good sometimes .. ;)

Are you using the 30 FPS mode ?

Nope. I just told my TV that there was a "Game" on that input and it took care of things itself.

Sorry for the confusion.......We try our best to explain it, but it is a bit confusing......

D1K - One game....Classic DK.......two modes......North American and Japanese.....no box, no overlays.

D2K Budget release - Two games - Classic DK and the sequel D2K Jumpman Returns ......one mode for classic DK (North American)......

D2K Collector's release - Just like the budget release but includes a BOX and OVERLAYS

Box and overlays will be available for separate purchase for the difference in price between the Budget and Collector's release....

D2K is more money than D1K......lots of options......the collector's version of D2K won't be available until July probably.

• Like 1

Sorry for the confusion.......We try our best to explain it, but it is a bit confusing......

D1K - One game....Classic DK.......two modes......North American and Japanese.....no box, no overlays.

D2K Budget release - Two games - Classic DK and the sequel D2K Jumpman Returns ......one mode for classic DK (North American)......

D2K Collector's release - Just like the budget release but includes a BOX and OVERLAYS

Box and overlays will be available for separate purchase for the difference in price between the Budget and Collector's release....

D2K is more money than D1K......lots of options......the collector's version of D2K won't be available until July probably.

So... no Japanese ordering for Classic DK in D2K Collector's Edition? I was looking forward to that. I rather like the Japanese order better (that's how I play it on MAME).

-dZ.

• 3 months later...

My three most current scores for D1K (both versions) and D2K using Mario:

D1K Arcade High Score - Game Variation 1 (Mario)

D1K Arcade High Score - Game Variation 2 (Mario)

My Current D2K High Score (Mario)

Impressions: I don't think I can say anything that hasn't been said already about these games. They are absolutely, positively the best homebrew gaming experience I've ever had *period* (and I've played a lot homebrew). Hat's off to Carl and the whole gang who made this all happen. Hopefully we can see this expand someday to D3K, D4K... or better yet: a DK Construction Kit!!! I know some things have been said to the contrary about the possibilities of this happening, but I hope that all gets swept away with time.

Edited by zodiacprime

OK, I finally received my copy of D2K. Man, I do have a really bad delivery service in my area.

Anyway, I played it today for a few minutes, and I have to say I like it very much. So far, I've only played "Game #2" using Mario, and after dying many, many times on the very first level, I managed to get to the third level (the one with the sparks). My high-score is not too high (compared to some others posted here), but not too bad for just 30 minutes of play.

Overall, the game is good, though a bit hard. However, I suck at most games, so that's not really D2K's fault. The problem I have is that, by the time I finally gained a respectable level of skill to beat a few levels, my thumb was already aching from hitting the action buttons.

Nonetheless, I'll say: very good game, Carl! I see myself playing it quite often, since DK has always been one of my favorite games of all time. :)

Attached is a screenshot of my high-score: 11,700 points.

-dZ.

post-27318-0-25000500-1345394783_thumb.jpg