IGNORED

D2K Arcade Announcement

Ok, here is the scoop on D2K Arcade.

Due to rising costs, and delays, we have decided to do 2 versions of D2K Arcade.

In life, with most things, there is what you WANT to do and what you HAVE to do.

I am a Canadian, and unfortunately, I have to face certain realities of living and doing business in Canada.

Despite wanting to compete 'globally', Canada is poorly set up to do Ecommerce. Canada Postal rates are OUTRAGEOUS. It is just the way it is. If you can ship a light small package, and fit it through the mailslot (like DK Arcade) the shipping isn't too bad. It is about 3 dollars.

If it CANT fit through the mailslot, the shipping jumps a LOT.

My printer just rejected the job of the box and overlays. They just don't want to do the job.....it took a few weeks of being put off before they balked...... I am now AGAIN trying to get the box printed.

The game is done. The game is on cart. The manuals are done. They will be printed by the end of the week. The new shells will be here within a week or so. The cart sticker is done.....it will be printed by the end of the week.

So, we are going to do a release with Cart and Manual only......hopefully, the weight is low enough to continue with 'Light Packet' (shipped by Air) but might have to be shipped 'Small Packet' by Ground. This is going to come in around our origninal estimate of price (Unfortunately).

When the box and overlays are done, we will be doing the proper full release...shrinkwrapped as promised, for more than our original estimate.

Keep in mind, that the price point we quoted when we started "Classic Game Publishers" was a desired price point and a guess, and it was based on No Shrinkwrap and a USED cart shell.

So, we are going to be able to hit our $50 price point, and much cheaper shipping, albeit with no box or overlays.

HOWEVER, if one wants to upgrade later, we will be selling a box and overlays for people who want to complete their D2K Arcade game for their collection.

And, keep in mind, that we are doing a GATEFOLD box. I am determined to do that style box.

Sorry about the compromise, but the good news is, that you should be able to purchase D2K Arcade in about 2 weeks.

Ok, here is the scoop on D2K Arcade.

Due to rising costs, and delays, we have decided to do 2 versions of D2K Arcade.

In life, with most things, there is what you WANT to do and what you HAVE to do.

I am a Canadian, and unfortunately, I have to face certain realities of living and doing business in Canada.

Despite wanting to compete 'globally', Canada is poorly set up to do Ecommerce. Canada Postal rates are OUTRAGEOUS. It is just the way it is. If you can ship a light small package, and fit it through the mailslot (like DK Arcade) the shipping isn't too bad. It is about 3 dollars.

If it CANT fit through the mailslot, the shipping jumps a LOT.

My printer just rejected the job of the box and overlays. They just don't want to do the job.....it took a few weeks of being put off before they balked...... I am now AGAIN trying to get the box printed.

The game is done. The game is on cart. The manuals are done. They will be printed by the end of the week. The new shells will be here within a week or so. The cart sticker is done.....it will be printed by the end of the week.

So, we are going to do a release with Cart and Manual only......hopefully, the weight is low enough to continue with 'Light Packet' (shipped by Air) but might have to be shipped 'Small Packet' by Ground. This is going to come in around our origninal estimate of price (Unfortunately).

When the box and overlays are done, we will be doing the proper full release...shrinkwrapped as promised, for more than our original estimate.

Keep in mind, that the price point we quoted when we started "Classic Game Publishers" was a desired price point and a guess, and it was based on No Shrinkwrap and a USED cart shell.

So, we are going to be able to hit our $50 price point, and much cheaper shipping, albeit with no box or overlays.

HOWEVER, if one wants to upgrade later, we will be selling a box and overlays for people who want to complete their D2K Arcade game for their collection.

And, keep in mind, that we are doing a GATEFOLD box. I am determined to do that style box.

Sorry about the compromise, but the good news is, that you should be able to purchase D2K Arcade in about 2 weeks.

Any idea on the final price for the one in the Gatefold box? I'll definitely wait for that one.

-dZ.

I have not been able to get a cost on the box yet. I have had printers hold my box.....say they will quote, and then balk after a few weeks......I have a new printer looking at the box today and I should know by tomorrow. Hopefully, he doesnt refuse my business.

Wow, sounds like it sucks to do business in Canada. Try bringing flowers or chocolates (or beer) to the next printer on your list. :)

My printer said that the job was outside their comfort zone....and they are getting a new press in which will take a couple of months to install....and juggling national contracts with General Motors and the Post office etc.....

So, getting a printer to take you seriously is challenging.....I'm learning the ropes......

And, one thing that I can't get my mind around....how 30 year old overlays are giving today's printers fits.

Unless you may need some income for any operating costs, is it possible to wait for the full release? Like GB said, most people are willing to wait for the full package. But having said that, Im sure there is alot of people perfectly happy with the cart/manual/overlay release and could care less about the box. Other guys do a cart only release ALL the time, Really nothing wrong with it. And some offer it either way from the start, it is a way to appeal to your consumers needs. To be sure, what is the cart/overlay/manual price range estimated to be shipped?

Btw.....I will wait for 2 copies of the boxed version and I will be purchasing 2 or 3 'cart' versions. :P ............yes, I have a sickness. :-o

I think one way to look at this is another budget release, this time with D2K. It will be more expensive than D1K, but will include a new shell, nice cartridge sticker, and a full 13 page manual. It's actually quite nice… eventually we will be able to get the costs down for future releases. This is our first release, and we will be unable to reach the price points we had originally wanted to.

So, it will be possible to get the budget release of D2K within a couple of weeks… That's good news. I'm sure some people would like to just play the game, and certainly the box and overlays are not a necessity.

On the other hand, a "collector's edition" will eventually be available and will include the overlays and box, and be shrink-wrapped. It's up to you if you want to wait for that edition.

It's quite possible that our future releases will be done in the same way… I hope, however, at a much cheaper price point. We're doing everything we can to minimize costs, and in the future I think we can achieve this.

I hope everyone understands… And ultimately, we hope you enjoy the game.

Thanks everybody, Carl

I will patiently await the boxed release ... although, since it's going to be shrink-wrapped, I wouldn't mind getting a boxed copy and separately buying the loose one to play and keep the other sealed for my collection.

I am probably in the minority but I like this idea, one to play and one to collect, so far I have not been one to buy more than one copy but now I will gladly do so ! :grin:

Yah I agree, the loose one will be my play copy and then the shrink wrapped ones won't need to be opened

Well, I just had a custom delivery box designed that will be sturdy enough to hold two gatefold type Intellivision boxes, and it qualifies for 'Small Packet' rates.

My printer didn't come through with the manual and stickers for tomorrow, so this weekend I won't be selling it at the Kitchener swap meet and 1UP Games. I will be selling DK Arcade however, and demonstrating D2K Arcade.

Well, I just had a custom delivery box designed that will be sturdy enough to hold two gatefold type Intellivision boxes, and it qualifies for 'Small Packet' rates.

My printer didn't come through with the manual and stickers for tomorrow, so this weekend I won't be selling it at the Kitchener swap meet and 1UP Games. I will be selling DK Arcade however, and demonstrating D2K Arcade.

Great news on the delivery box!

Well, today I am searching AGAIN for a new printer to do my box.......I feel like someone who can't get a date for the Prom......

Hopefully this latest company has the ability to come through.

I tell you, if the printer is a man, bring beer (or a hot chick friend); if it's a woman, bring flowers or chocolates.

-dZ.

I know that you are joking, but one of the users here recently tried to get a quote on a gatefold box, and got nothing...

I understand that it can be hard to get someone to work on that. I was just joking about it because Carl and you make it sound like when you ask for it, they slam the door in your face, as if you've asked them to hand over a kidney or their first born. ;)

Seriously, good luck. I really want to see those boxes made. :)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

I know that you are joking, but one of the users here recently tried to get a quote on a gatefold box, and got nothing...

I understand that it can be hard to get someone to work on that. I was just joking about it because Carl and you make it sound like when you ask for it, they slam the door in your face, as if you've asked them to hand over a kidney or their first born. ;)

-dZ.

You mean something like that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aclS1pGHp8o

:-D

-dZ.

You mean something like that?

:-D

OMG! That's more gruesome than I was prepared for this morning (haven't had my coffee yet), but yes, kinda. LOL!

I do love Monty Python though.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay