IGNORED

D2K Arcade Announcement

I am not going to the 'kinko's' type copy shop. I am going to proper printing companies. They have presses. The problem is that you just aren't big enough for them to care.

I have been given the name of a printer that specializes in small runs. I'm curious to find out if they can hook me up. If they can, and we get a Gatefold die....I hope to establish a relationship with them for all my boxes........I can print other boxes for other people's games.....maybe we could work with Intelligentvision too.

• Like 1

Yeah, I knew you werent going to the fedex type stores. It was more of a jab at the printing companies. :-D So, they really dont want to mess with someone who has only a couple hundred boxes? I bet they would of loved a customer like you when they first started out! Anyway, I hope you find a great place to get boxes made...Gatefold boxes would be VERY cool!!!!!

I had a question in Email from a person who wanted clarification on the two D2K releases.......Here are my answers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of us who are going to want to purchase either the budget OR the larger version, it would be helpful to know the following:

1) Are there differences in the cartridges themselves?

NO

2) How much will the "collector's release" cost?

To be determined.....based on the cost of the overlays and box.

3) You said that a box and overlays will be released later for the budget version as well? Is that definite? How much will those cost?

Yes, you will be able to buy the box and overlays separately (Most likely flat)

Cost is to be determined.

4) I wanna know (the price of the collector's edition) before the budget release comes out, as I wouldn't want it to sell out on May 18 (that's when we can first pay, right?) before I get a chance to decide between the two. I'm sure others need to know all this too. Any idea when that info can be passed on to us eagerly-awaiting buyers? ;-)

The budget release will be available on May 18th.....

There is really no need to wait, as the price of the box and overlays will be the difference between the budget and the collectors release.

For example;

Cart/instructions = $50

Box and Overlays =$X

Collectors Editon =$Y

$50 + X = Y

The only difference is that with the Collectors edition, the entire package will be shrinkwrapped, and you won't have to put the box together yourself.

I hope this clears things up. I was pretty sure I was fairly clear on this in my email, but I will probably post clarifications on Atariage and my website.

I had a question in Email from a person who wanted clarification on the two D2K releases.......Here are my answers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of us who are going to want to purchase either the budget OR the larger version, it would be helpful to know the following:

1) Are there differences in the cartridges themselves?

NO

2) How much will the "collector's release" cost?

To be determined.....based on the cost of the overlays and box.

3) You said that a box and overlays will be released later for the budget version as well? Is that definite? How much will those cost?

Yes, you will be able to buy the box and overlays separately (Most likely flat)

Cost is to be determined.

4) I wanna know (the price of the collector's edition) before the budget release comes out, as I wouldn't want it to sell out on May 18 (that's when we can first pay, right?) before I get a chance to decide between the two. I'm sure others need to know all this too. Any idea when that info can be passed on to us eagerly-awaiting buyers? ;-)

The budget release will be available on May 18th.....

There is really no need to wait, as the price of the box and overlays will be the difference between the budget and the collectors release.

For example;

Cart/instructions = $50

Box and Overlays =$X

Collectors Editon =$Y

$50 + X = Y

The only difference is that with the Collectors edition, the entire package will be shrinkwrapped, and you won't have to put the box together yourself.

I hope this clears things up. I was pretty sure I was fairly clear on this in my email, but I will probably post clarifications on Atariage and my website.

That certainly clears things up, at least for me. I had no doubt about getting the "Collector's" edition, but the way it was explained before it sounded as if it were,

Cart + Instructions = $50

Box + Overlays = $X

Budget Edition = $50

Collectors Edition = Budget Edition + $X + $PREMIUM_GATEFOLD_BOX + $SPECIAL_PACKAGING

According to what you just said, it appears that someone could purchase a "Budget Edition" (Cart + Instructions) and "complete" it later by purchasing the Gatefold Box and the Overlays later, which would make it identical to the "Collector's Edition." Is this true?

I think that is what goes at the heart of the question your posted: If someone can afford the "Collector's Edition," they will wait for it; otherwise they will buy the "Budget Edition." There is a problem if they cannot determine this early enough to be able to purchase the "Budget Edition." If they can complete "Budget Edition" into a full "Collector's Edition" later, then the question is moot.

-dZ.

Then the only real difference is that the collectors edition will be shrinkwrapped.

How will we know later if someone took an opened D2K and shrinkwrapped it themselves? Are you using a special technique when you shrinkwrap it?

You know how rabbid some collectors are about the shrinkwrapping. :D :D

me? I could care less......I open all of my shrinkwrapped games when i get them...screw the value.

"According to what you just said, it appears that someone could purchase a "Budget Edition" (Cart + Instructions) and "complete" it later by purchasing the Gatefold Box and the Overlays later, which would make it identical to the "Collector's Edition." Is this true?"

Yes, exactly.

We aren't forcing people to buy a box or overlays that they really don't need, to just play the game. Those who want the full 80s experience can get it...but we aren't going to force people to pay for a gatefold box and overlays unless they really want them. We want to do gatefold boxes.....we can't do both the 'INTV style' box AND a gatefold...it is one or the other......I have decided that we are going to do the release the way we REALLY want to do it.....

I have a lot of money tied up in materials. I have an ordering system set up I am paying for. I can't afford to be put off by these printers any longer.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that there are two types of people who will buy the game. Those who want the box and overlays, and those who don't care....and would prefer to save a few bucks.

Is this a compromise? Yes, I guess so.....but I think it is the way to go. Selling without a box in the day would be impossible....but I think since we are a mail order niche company.......there is no reason we can't let our customers decide what they want.

I am mainly interested in the game cartridge, instructions, and overlays, with the box being secondary. Is it somehow possible I could just pay for those and save cost of the box?

I see overlays as critical to gameplay. Am I wrong and these are just decorative overlays with no real number pad functions to speak of on this game?

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that there are two types of people who will buy the game. Those who want the box and overlays, and those who don't care....and would prefer to save a few bucks.

But just to be clear, will the people who would "prefer to save a few bucks" be able to then change their minds and purchase the box and overlays by themselves to complete their budget edition?

Yes, if you check my post again, I mention that you will be able to buy the box and overlays separately. The cost of the box and overlays will be the difference between the 'budget release' and the 'collector's release'......

If your overlays get destroyed, or your box gets sat on, you will be able to buy a replacement. :-)

Yes, if you check my post again, I mention that you will be able to buy the box and overlays separately. The cost of the box and overlays will be the difference between the 'budget release' and the 'collector's release'......

If your overlays get destroyed, or your box gets sat on, you will be able to buy a replacement. :-)

Thank you, and I apologize for the redundancy; I just wanted to be positively sure. I'm waiting for the full "Collector's Edition" myself, and I can't wait.

By the way, I saw in Rev's video that DK Arcade now has the ape's "grunting" sound in the introduction sequence--that's fantastic! :)

-dZ.

Thank you, and I apologize for the redundancy; I just wanted to be positively sure. I'm waiting for the full "Collector's Edition" myself, and I can't wait.

By the way, I saw in Rev's video that DK Arcade now has the ape's "grunting" sound in the introduction sequence--that's fantastic! :)

-dZ.

This week I will upload another video, I forgot to enable the sounds for the princess! This is pretty cool and goes to show how much work and effort carl put into the game.

-dZ.

I'm glad you like it! :-) And very nearly didn't make it in… again.

The reason for this is that it's a digitized sound, encoded originally with "delta modulation" – very similar to what is used on the NES hardware to produce rough digital sounds. The main reason why it was omitted in the first place is that I'm against spending an entire week of coding to add a single sound effect… ;-)

Instead of taking the resulting sample and just pushing it out the PSG, the Intellivision is actually using the original data unmodified (more or less) and doing the delta modulation itself. It may not be a crystal clear way of producing samples, but the compression is amazing! Besides, there would be no way to get better quality samples from the original ROM anyway.

It also allowed me to add the hidden voices… Which at first I wasn't sure about. But when I saw my son play, he would always enable them and the more I got used to them, the more I liked them!

I imagine everyone will be punching in the codes to hear them.

Carl

The main reason why it was omitted in the first place is that I'm against spending an entire week of coding to add a single sound effect… ;-)

Wow, really? I just spent a week just getting Christmas Carol to perform a surreptitious "sneaking" walk. I have a few sound effects I still need to work on and my schedule has me spending at least one week per. Not having any aiding tools, I do my sound effects the hard way: in code with a state machine and look-up tables.

The good thing is that I used to be a sound engineer and a DJ a long, long time ago, and I have a rather good ear and a solid understanding of sound synthesis, though I'm a bit rusty.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Yeah, I have to say that taking a week to implement a single sound effect feels like a waste of time to me.

I also thought that spending two days to make the animation for the oil drum fire to be quite excessive.

I do have somewhat of a musical background having played the guitar and drums for a few years… But nothing professional. I have studied a number of sound engines, and written three myself. Hopefully, within the year, I'll have a very nice utility for writing music and sound effects for my engine. Then I can release it publicly, and hopefully it will speed up the process for everyone… The end goal being that more developers will be attracted to writing Intellivision games (and doing so faster).

I hope it's a good year!

Carl

Yeah, I have to say that taking a week to implement a single sound effect feels like a waste of time to me.

I also thought that spending two days to make the animation for the oil drum fire to be quite excessive.

I do have somewhat of a musical background having played the guitar and drums for a few years… But nothing professional. I have studied a number of sound engines, and written three myself. Hopefully, within the year, I'll have a very nice utility for writing music and sound effects for my engine. Then I can release it publicly, and hopefully it will speed up the process for everyone… The end goal being that more developers will be attracted to writing Intellivision games (and doing so faster).

I hope it's a good year!

Carl

Is that like a game programming engine that alot of intv developers can use?

Also, How is DK JR Arcade coming along. ;)

Well, I guess I'm just too slow. :(

I'm rather good at designing high level solutions and abstractions, but I struggle to work at a low level. I manage, obviously, but it doesn't come naturally to me.

Great, then you can pair it with the new version of P-Machinery, which I expect to have within a year!

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

It took me about three days to get the fire animation for Christmas Carol done, after a lot of false starts. I eventually found a tutorial on animation that taught how to make it flow and look natural.

Here's the result:

@@Flame
:0       :1       :2       :3       :4       :5       :6       :7
........ ........ ...#...# .......# ....#... ...#.... ........ .......#
........ ...#...# ...#..#. ........ ...##... ...#.... ......#. ........
.......# ..##..## ......#. ....#... ...#.... ........ .....##. ........
...#..## ..#...#. ........ ...##... ...#.... ......#. ......#. ........
..##..#. ......#. ....#... ...#.... ........ .....##. ........ ..#...#.
..#...#. ...#.... ...##... ...#.... .....#.. .....#.. ........ ..#...#.
........ ...#.... ...#.... ........ .....#.. ........ .....#.. ..#..#..
...#.... ...#.#.. ........ ...#.... ...##... .....#.. ..#.#... ..##.#..
..##.... ..##.#.. ..#..... ...##... ..###... ...###.. ..#.#... ..###...
..###... ..####.. ..###... ..###... ..###... ..###... ..###... ...##...
..###... ..###... ..####.. ..####.. ..####.. ..####.. ..####.. ..####..
..####.. ..####.. ..####.. ..####.. ..####.. ..####.. ..####.. ..####..
..#$##.. ..#$##.. ..#$##.. ..#$##.. ..#$##.. ..#$##.. ..#$##.. ..#$##..
..#$$$.. ..#$$$.. ..#$$$.. ..#$$$.. ..#$$$.. ..#$$$.. ..#$$$.. ..#$$$..
...##$$$ ...##$$$ ...##$$$ ...##$$$ ...##$$$ ...##$$$ ...##$$$ ...##$$$
.......$ .......$ .......$ .......$ .......$ .......$ .......$ .......$

Sorry, I don't have a video at hand.

-dZ.

Well, I guess I'm just too slow. :(

I'm rather good at designing high level solutions and abstractions, but I struggle to work at a low level. I manage, obviously, but it doesn't come naturally to me.

Great, then you can pair it with the new version of P-Machinery, which I expect to have within a year!

-dZ.

Sounds like a good reason to work together. I tend to be better at writing engines that perform well… I write a few demos to impress people, then I get bored and never really develop anything that turns into a complete game. :-( I hate that. Thank God I actually finished DK… I almost gave up on it.

It took me about three days to get the fire animation for Christmas Carol done, after a lot of false starts. I eventually found a tutorial on animation that taught how to make it flow and look natural.

Here's the result:

@@Flame
:0	   :1	   :2	   :3	   :4	   :5	   :6	   :7
........ ........ ...#...# .......# ....#... ...#.... ........ .......#
........ ...#...# ...#..#. ........ ...##... ...#.... ......#. ........
.......# ..##..## ......#. ....#... ...#.... ........ .....##. ........
...#..## ..#...#. ........ ...##... ...#.... ......#. ......#. ........
..##..#. ......#. ....#... ...#.... ........ .....##. ........ ..#...#.
..#...#. ...#.... ...##... ...#.... .....#.. .....#.. ........ ..#...#.
........ ...#.... ...#.... ........ .....#.. ........ .....#.. ..#..#..
...#.... ...#.#.. ........ ...#.... ...##... .....#.. ..#.#... ..##.#..
..##.... ..##.#.. ..#..... ...##... ..###... ...###.. ..#.#... ..###...
..###... ..####.. ..###... ..###... ..###... ..###... ..###... ...##...
..###... ..###... ..####.. ..####.. ..####.. ..####.. ..####.. ..####..
..####.. ..####.. ..####.. ..####.. ..####.. ..####.. ..####.. ..####..
..#$##.. ..#$##.. ..#$##.. ..#$##.. ..#$##.. ..#$##.. ..#$##.. ..#$##..
..#$$$.. ..#$$$.. ..#$$$.. ..#$$$.. ..#$$$.. ..#$$$.. ..#$$$.. ..#$$$..
...##$$$ ...##$$$ ...##$$$ ...##$$$ ...##$$$ ...##$$$ ...##$$$ ...##$$$
.......$ .......$ .......$ .......$ .......$ .......$ .......$ .......$

Sorry, I don't have a video at hand.

-dZ.

For anybody interested, here's the tutorial I used on how to animate 2-D fire.

-dZ.