IGNORED

C816 - something to droll to

candle

Silly question time, but are there any plans for a simple way to swap the 65816 out for a real 6502 ? Either through an adapter or something, or even a full-blown 6502 emulation on the FPGA ? ;)

Just wondering because current software that uses *any* illegal opcodes is going to fall flat on it's face running on a 65816 out of the box..

Or is that not a concern for this ?

Very few programs fail on a 65816... It would be much more effective if you just swapped the whole computer rather than try to kludge something with a 6502. Lots of software failed on an 800 vs. 800XL/1200XL. Some even failed on a 1050 vs. 810 or XF551. We live with it.

Also, if you want to go fast, you have to minimize the number of circuits in the nets.

Bob

• Like 1

What can be done with this CPU upgrade?

go fast! ;')

the possibilities are quite vast... the big issue is whether software to take advanatge of it will be written... Sort of like VBXE, it has alot of capabilities, but not alot has been written for it. So its main use is RGB video for most people...

sloopy.

Very few programs fail on a 65816... It would be much more effective if you just swapped the whole computer rather than try to kludge something with a 6502. Lots of software failed on an 800 vs. 800XL/1200XL. Some even failed on a 1050 vs. 810 or XF551. We live with it.

Also, if you want to go fast, you have to minimize the number of circuits in the nets.

Bob

Hmmm, I don't care about the drive issues, but I don't want 3 A8s each with a unique CPU..

One 6502, one 6809, one 65816.. That's too much for me.. I guess I'll be skipping this then..

what 6809 has to do with anything?

you can't run any a8 software on 6809, on 65816 you can, almost everything

there is ONE demo for a 6809 based A8, and a decent OS... but not much else :'(

sloopy.

Silly question time, but are there any plans for a simple way to swap the 65816 out for a real 6502 ? Either through an adapter or something, or even a full-blown 6502 emulation on the FPGA ? ;)

FTe made an adapter to drop a 65816 into your XL; I've got one somewhere in my Atari cave. Never encountered any software problems.

Their use of excessively soft gold for the pins, on the other hand, has resulted in periodic hardware problems...

• 3 weeks later...