IGNORED

Trying to decide between a 800XL VS. 5200

Another point to mention, is that although part of the attraction to the 5200 is that it's a "Console", with the simplicity of just the device and very easy to use carts, the XL/XE can be used the same way, if that's what you're looking for. Just forget all the devices, drives and other complications, buy the 800XL and a bunch of carts and you can experience the 8-bits as a console.

Then you can take your time and learn about the other devices available and make a more informed decision about what may work for you. Even if you end up sticking with just the carts, you'll still have a large library to choose from -- There are hundreds of carts available for the system.

• Like 1

It might be helpful to list those games that actually benefit from the 5200 controllers. The games might be better on the 5200 because of analog control (whether using the original controller, Wico controllers, or trackball), two fire buttons, or the keypad.

As for the analog control, there are games that take advantage of the 5200 trackball such as Centipede.

Two-button games include Moon Patrol and Qix.

A keypad-intensive game is Star Raiders.

These are only a few games that many say are better on the 5200 than on the A8. Any single one wouldn't change my recommendation of an A8 over a 5200 for first timers, but together they are becoming more and more compelling to me.

Also, I forget: Can you pause A8 games? That's a great feature of the 5200.

Edited by boxpressed

While all it's games have indeed been ported back to the 8-bit line, remember that getting them to play them isn't as easy as slapping in a cart... you'll need to either put files on a disk, or set up a SIO2PC solution, or put them on a flash cart, etc.

You can purchase multi-carts that are made to order with pretty much any game you want on them. Nothing difficult there.

Just got through playing some Berzerk on the 5200 (with the Masterplay and a CX-40). What an amazing port. I have to play some more -- my games seem to end rather quickly.

I know this can be played on the A8, but I assume that you'd need a multicart or a repro, right?

Just got through playing some Berzerk on the 5200 (with the Masterplay and a CX-40). What an amazing port. I have to play some more -- my games seem to end rather quickly.

I know this can be played on the A8, but I assume that you'd need a multicart or a repro, right?

Nope, just an SIO2xx device. No need for a costly/hard to find masterplay device to use digital sticks either

I prefer the 5200 myself. In fact, I find very little past games already on the 5200 that interest me on the A8.

It's a shame being the A8 has the memory, storage options, a keyboard. Seems to me most games on the A8 are a quick XEX load that never look to the storage options again. Might as well be carts.

I know people are very passionate about the A8 system and that's cool. I'm just saying this as my view on it.

Seems to me most games on the A8 are a quick XEX load that never look to the storage options again. Might as well be carts.

Many games are indeed done that way. There are more than enough reasons to use such small format but there are also many games that are much bigger, taking up multiple disk sides. The reason you don't see those around that often is probably because of the format. An XEX is a drag-n-drop action on modern PC where converting (and even using) boot disks requires a little more work, which is too much of an effort for many.

Besides of that, there are also XEX's that are just stripped-down versions of what was originally a much bigger/nicer game. They just cut the intro's/some levels/hi-score saving/etc...

I prefer the 5200 myself. In fact, I find very little past games already on the 5200 that interest me on the A8.

A lot of the best and most interesting games on the A8's have already been brought over to the 5200. So, I could see where a 5200 user wouldn't have as much care for A8 software at this point, having already culled some of the more desirable titles. I take it as a compliment to the A8's that so many of it's titles have been added to the 5200 library. In fact I'm glad the 5200 is around for the same reason. I think Atari needed quality games for the 5200 in order for it to succeed as it's new "star" console. The console wasn't so successful, but it wasn't for lack of quality games. A lot of great titles were produced and the A8s benefited from that, both at the time and later when some of the missed titles were converted over.

Surely there are more than a few A8 titles worth playing that haven't been brought over to the 5200 yet though.

Find any of these interesting?

Mr. Do

International Karate

Yoomp

Bruce Lee

Drop Zone

Spy vs Spy I, II, & III

Rainbow Walker

Rally Speedway

Spelunker

Lode Runner

Blue Max

Karateka

Mario Bros XE

Commando

Tempest Xtreem

Space Harrier

Jumpman Jr

Bomb Jack

Nibbly

Robbo

Dr. Mario

Cavelord

Schreckenstein

Xenophobe

Kikstart

Midimaze

Leader board

Great American Cross Country Road Race

Ninja

Stealth

Bandits

Brundles

Eidolon

Shanghai

Summer Games

Tapper

Magic

A lot of the best and most interesting games on the A8's have already been brought over to the 5200. So, I could see where a 5200 user wouldn't have as much care for A8 software at this point, having already culled some of the more desirable titles. I take it as a compliment to the A8's that so many of it's titles have been added to the 5200 library. In fact I'm glad the 5200 is around for the same reason. I think Atari needed quality games for the 5200 in order for it to succeed as it's new "star" console. The console wasn't so successful, but it wasn't for lack of quality games. A lot of great titles were produced and the A8s benefited from that, both at the time and later when some of the missed titles were converted over.

Surely there are more than a few A8 titles worth playing that haven't been brought over to the 5200 yet though.

Find any of these interesting?

Mr. Do

International Karate

Yoomp

Bruce Lee

Drop Zone

Spy vs Spy I, II, & III

Rainbow Walker

Rally Speedway

Spelunker

Lode Runner

Blue Max

Karateka

Mario Bros XE

Commando

Tempest Xtreem

Space Harrier

Jumpman Jr

Bomb Jack

Nibbly

Robbo

Dr. Mario

Cavelord

Schreckenstein

Xenophobe

Kikstart

Midimaze

Leader board

Great American Cross Country Road Race

Ninja

Stealth

Bandits

Brundles

Eidolon

Shanghai

Summer Games

Tapper

Magic

A few. However, honestly, I think most of those are better on other platforms.

I know there is a huge, passionate fan base for the A8. Very cool and nothing wrong with it at all.

I think the claim in my 1st post of this thread still holds up. Even most your "list" there.

They load. They are done. Nothing too deep. A few screen (maybe) arcade style games. That is about all.

I'm not knocking it. It is just how I see it.

Question was 5200 or 800XL. For me its 5200 if I had to choose only one.

Luckily I have both and do enjoy my A8 now and then. For example right now I usually play Conan when I fire it up.

See here is a game on a flippy, each screen loads from disk. Thats more of what I look for when I sit down at a computer to play.

I dont find very much of that on A8.

Luckily I have both and do enjoy my A8 now and then. For example right now I usually play Conan when I fire it up.

See here is a game on a flippy, each screen loads from disk. Thats more of what I look for when I sit down at a computer to play.

I dont find very much of that on A8.

There's plenty. I would say the vast majority are in the RPG, Simulation, Text Adventure and Board Game Categories. But there's a fair share that are arcade type games too.

Are you sure you're familiar with all the titles I've listed?

We're going to drag other platforms into the discussion? I thought we were comparing the A8 and 5200?

(...)

Looking for opinions and insight and Thanks for your time today.

(...)

...Don't want to sound too harsh on this one, but I will still try to convey the main point, clearly.

I guess you need to decide between a relatively meaningless "game console" machine (5200, in historical and commercial terms), vs. a complete "computer system", in which the 800XL sits as the centerpiece (with access to a wide range of FINE peripherals and SW, from SpartaDOS, all the way to Z80-based IndusGT drives that are capable of enabling CP/M on your host Atari computer).

I think that if all you want to enhance your collection of "game consoles", then the 5200 is the way to go.However, for everything else, the 800XL has no substitute (on this comparison), as well as its INMENSE SW library and vast collective support.

Enjoy!

We're going to drag other platforms into the discussion? I thought we were comparing the A8 and 5200?

Not all but the majority.

You seem to miss the point.

I say I prefer 5200.

You list some games YOU think would make the A8 a better choice.

When I look at this list I see the majority I would not go to my A8 to play those games.

You start some bullshit about dragging in other systems.

WTF is your problem? Is it that my opinion is not yours?

Do you feel the need to rush to the defense of your opinion because mine differs?

I can see where he's coming from in mentioning other systems. The 5200/A8 dichotomy doesn't live in a vacuum. I think the decision to get an A8 vs a 5200 certainly has (or could have) at least a little bit to do with what other platforms a person already owns and uses. For example, if I didn't have a C64 (and for some reason couldn't get one), I would absolutely have an A8 instead of a 5200, no question. Fortunately for me, I'm totally batshit insane, so I have complete setups of pretty much everything, but if I weren't insane, I'd probably pick and choose a little more rationally.

Either way, this entire A8 vs. 5200 debate will never go away. No matter how many threads there are on AA about it (and there's a lot of them). I doubt anyone has ever been convinced one way or the other from a thread like this, the sides have been taken, lines drawn in the sand. :)

Thank you that is exactly it.

If I would rather play a game on my C64 or ST, why would it factor in my preference of the two systems?

It doesn't. It is removed from the equation.

I can see where he's coming from in mentioning other systems. The 5200/A8 dichotomy doesn't live in a vacuum. I think the decision to get an A8 vs a 5200 certainly has (or could have) at least a little bit to do with what other platforms a person already owns and uses. For example, if I didn't have a C64 (and for some reason couldn't get one), I would absolutely have an A8 instead of a 5200, no question. Fortunately for me, I'm totally batshit insane, so I have complete setups of pretty much everything, but if I weren't insane, I'd probably pick and choose a little more rationally.

Either way, this entire A8 vs. 5200 debate will never go away. No matter how many threads there are on AA about it (and there's a lot of them). I doubt anyone has ever been convinced one way or the other from a thread like this, the sides have been taken, lines drawn in the sand. :)

Since I don't know what other systems the OP has, I'm going to have take his question at face value. He wanted to compare the two systems. If you want to run the comparison in the direction of other systems, I'll venture that there are plenty 5200 titles that are better eslewhere as well. Maybe he shouldn't get either system. :) But, for whatever reason, the OP is interested in these two.

I'm not trying to convince 5200 fans of anything, if that's what they like I'm fine with that, to each their own. My only reason for joining in the "conversation" is to present the various aspects to the OP that I'm familiar with. At least the guy can make a semi-informed decision about what will suite his needs best.

Go for the 800XL chuckster24 :thumbsup:

1. most of the 5200 games have been ported already

2. there's thousands of games (and other programs) for the XL & fantastic new ones still being developed (Yoomp, His Dark Majesty, Jewel Bits, Mighty Jill Off, Diamondz, CTetris, The brand new Arcade Pac-man...)

3. the disk drive is very simple to use, games just load by inserting the disk and powering up, you don't need to worry about DOS

4. the XL/home computers might get you interested in more areas such as programming

5. Controller wise there's also games using Trak-ball, Paddles, ST-Mouse, Light Gun etc.

6. there's tons of people here who can help out

;-)

Since I don't know what other systems the OP has, I'm going to have take his question at face value. He wanted to compare the two systems. If you want to run the comparison in the direction of other systems, I'll venture that there are plenty 5200 titles that are better eslewhere as well. Maybe he shouldn't get either system. :) But, for whatever reason, the OP is interested in these two.

I'm not trying to convince 5200 fans of anything, if that's what they like I'm fine with that, to each their own. My only reason for joining in the "conversation" is to present the various aspects to the OP that I'm familiar with. At least the guy can make a semi-informed decision about what will suite his needs best.

I was just explaining how I was translating Official Ninja's comments. Nothing more, nothing less. Don't know if it applies to the OP's situation or not. I never had any issue with anything you said, not trying to start a debate. I think relevance of other systems only applies to the scenario I mentioned.

As for my other comments on this A8 vs 5200 thread and people being convinced one way or the other by it, that was actually totally removed from your comments altogether. You will find other threads around here making that exact same statement. It's my policy to post that in every A8 vs. 5200 thread whether it goes adversarial or not ;)

Edited by Mirage

If I would rather play a game on my C64 or ST, why would it factor in my preference of the two systems?

You mis-quoted me there bro. This portion from the above quote under my name must have been pulled from another post. They're not my words:

You mis-quoted me there bro. This portion from the above quote under my name must have been pulled from another post. They're not my words:

It was his reply to my reply. He just typed in the wrong spot.

Not all but the majority.

You seem to miss the point.

I say I prefer 5200.

You list some games YOU think would make the A8 a better choice.

When I look at this list I see the majority I would not go to my A8 to play those games.

You start some bullshit about dragging in other systems.

WTF is your problem? Is it that my opinion is not yours?

Do you feel the need to rush to the defense of your opinion because mine differs?

I thought they were valid responses to your statements. You want to opt out by answering them with "bullshit" and "wtf is your problem". Great, you have a nice day too.

It was his reply to my reply. He just typed in the wrong spot.

Sorry about that. Was using an Ipad at the time. Thought I had tapped where It should go but I guess not.

As for the fish guy, Seems to me like someone who likes to talk just to talk.

Just not in the mood for someone to shove their opinion toward me as superior.

And then try to pick on something like saying I'd rather play them on another platform as if that makes my opinion invalid.

Anyway, ignore feature is your friend I guess.....

• Like 1