IGNORED

Trying to decide between a 800XL VS. 5200

Though the A8 is amazing,

you won't get the same retro-arcade experience the 5200 can provide

In your opinion, however, I can only think of a handful of games that use an analog controller

Edited by mimo

Sure you do, that statement is ridiculous. which is to say, neither provides a TRUE arcade experience, you need real arcade machines or controls for that.

Edited by Gunstar

In your opinion, however, I can only think of a handful of games that use an analog controller

There were very few retro-arcade games that use analog controls too. All my favorites used standard arcade joysticks that work the same as classic Atari joysticks but of arcade quality, and as far as rotary or trackball games, the 8-bit has those too.

The ONLY way you will get a retro-arcade experience is on the actual arcade machines or mame. the 5200 and 8-bit are retro, but not arcade.

There were very few retro-arcade games that use analog controls too. All my favorites used standard arcade joysticks that work the same as classic Atari joysticks but of arcade quality, and as far as rotary or trackball games, the 8-bit has those too.

The ONLY way you will get a retro-arcade experience is on the actual arcade machines or mame. the 5200 and 8-bit are retro, but not arcade.

the 5200 was the home arcade of the early 80's

the A8 only the greatest computer

nah, that was the Colecovision

nah, that was the Colecovision

The CV was amazing, though didn't have the arcade names of the day

Fair enough, but you didn't say "home" in your first post, there is a huge difference.

Edited by Gunstar

Lot of interesting stuff here guys I do appreciate your input and time in responding to my initial post. I still feel that I'm leaning toward an 800XL. Keep them coming and thanks again for responding so thoughtfully.

C24.

I'm just glad you said 800XL or 5200 and not C64 or this forum would have gone into meltdown :grin:

I'm just glad you said 800XL or 5200 and not C64 or this forum would have gone into meltdown :grin:

No joke. Someone ought to create a flowchart. As someone who owns both (like most of us), I think I can make it simple -- buy an 800XL

UNLESS

• You want the analog control for certain games, whether trackball or joystick (A8 has a hack for Centipede that will require an SIO2PC, multicart, or repro)
  • You want two actions buttons for games also available for a stock A8 (Defender, Qix, and some others I'm sure)
  • You want games such as Space Dungeon, Countermeasure, Berzerk, Vanguard, Kangaroo, Moon Patrol. etc. (A8 has conversions for some that will require an SIO2PC, multicart, or repro)
  • You also have the funds for a Masterplay interface and/or Competition Pro joystick
  • The "look and feel" of the machine matter to you as much as its utility.

The list is short but, for me, important. If I were to start out, I'd buy an 800XL and an SIOPC or multicart. See whether you even like the games. If you love them, you'll want a 5200 too.

Edited by boxpressed
  • Like 2