IGNORED

How does USPS insurance claims work?

akator

I'm glad it worked out for you! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks! It's cool that I only lost the shipping costs... way better than losing everything.

Still, I think this was a fluke. Maybe they looked at how much I had insured over the last few years, and that I never had to make a claim before and that made it easy to pay out.

Like I said, now that I've made a claim, and they paid, I suspect they won't do it again.

Still, I will pay for insurance for items worth the cost because I think it makes the postal workers be more conscientious about delivery...

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

My most recent experience was with their online system about a year ago. I went to the USPS site, filled out the form, attached photos, and provided the purchase info. I didn't hear back from them but received a check in the mail a week later.

Okay so you didn't have to turn the product in? Last time I did this was maybe 9 years ago, and I thought I had to hand it over to the post office. That was before any kind of online system though. I'll give it a go. Despite the slight damage, I really don't feel comfortable turning over a piece of classic gaming which they may then trash.

Okay so you didn't have to turn the product in?

No, I didn't have to deal with anyone in person or on the phone. I did submit/attach decent photos, though.

Keep in mind they won't cover shipping costs, only the "purchase price" of the item. Still, it's better than nothing...

just for giggles I had some yuts tell me to put like 2 hard drives in a cardboard USPS envolpe and ship it to him in scottland "cause its never been a problem"

I refused ... stuff in the system gets tossed around quite a darn bit, just becuase of the speed and volume, well packed may be ok for packing it in a van and driving around but it should be a TANK if its physically fragile and going through a postal or delevery service if it has any signifigant mass.

Edited by Osgeld

Hhahah it works, but badly. There has to be obvious damage to the box or it has to be lost. The second case is easy to claim for, the first not so much, it has to be clearly their fault. If something breaks inside but the box is fine, fault of the seller or whoever shipped.

I'm surprised they don't just claim things were inadequately packed. I wonder if they have a standard by which to judge what would constitute "appropriate" packing and a system through which to adjudicate whether or not each incident met the standard, or if a Government clerk makes snap decisions based upon whim?

Many of the things I receive are packed by morons, and it's just dumb luck that they arrive safely. When I send things, I totally over-engineer the packing. If a truck runs over it, it gets smashed between the truck and the loading dock, thrown out of a 2nd-story window, or a forklift fork poked through it, there's no way to pack for that, and I'm sure you'd have a good argument then.

I think it depends on the picture provided. If it looks well packed with double boxing, and item were documented to be in good shape before packing, USPS usually have no choice buy approve it. Too often people don't pack anyway. I once received a cheap all-in-one printer in what seems like a flimsy box with 3 sheets of newspaper to protect it. I didn't even bother to test it as the glass were completely smashed on the scanner part. The seller ate the loss in the end since it can't qualify for insurance claim.

I had to file only once. A Mac Performa 405 that was working and in a good shape, with a rare '040 upgrade card installed. Tracking shows it left Michigan but never went anywhere for 3 weeks. I refunded the buyer and filed the claim after the required time had passed. I got the money back and when I checked 3 months later it still showed leaving Michigan but not arriving anywhere. That was about 10 years ago.