IGNORED

Announcement: SIO2PC/10502PC Dual USB

Hello Ray

98% of all hardware upgrades for the Atari 8 bit computer nowadays come with a PCB. Check out VBXE, SIO2SD (all versions I know), Turbo Freezer, Nunjoy, MIDI-Interface (both by HARdwareDOC), all dual Pokey upgrades, Ultimate 1MB, etc., etc., etc. AFAIK these aren't using cheap pcboards and they do seem to be affordable.

Mathy

Hello Ray

98% of all hardware upgrades for the Atari 8 bit computer nowadays come with a PCB. Check out VBXE, SIO2SD (all versions I know), Turbo Freezer, Nunjoy, MIDI-Interface (both by HARdwareDOC), all dual Pokey upgrades, Ultimate 1MB, etc., etc., etc. AFAIK these aren't using cheap pcboards and they do seem to be affordable.

Mathy

Yes Mathy, I am aware of those upgrades but my question was not who uses pcboards in their upgrades, rather how important is using one as far as the end-users of these upgrades are concerned and whether this is a deciding factor when one considers buying one of these upgrades.

post-15627-0-53931100-1337377633_thumb.jpg

It may actually be less time consuming to use PCBs rather than perf boards. This may only have a significant impact if you produce like 20 units a month.

Yes it may, at the least I wouldn't have to do point-to-point wire soldering, however for a small/simple design like this the impact is not significant as you noted. Had I gone with larger quantities i would have seriously considered to start with a pcb design. Small volume also allows me to throughly test every individual device, each connection is double checked with a multimeter each solder joint is examined with a magnifier. That may sound extreme but that's how I work, and I can afford to do that because I do not work for living (not anymore), and I do not do this to make a living and I am, although not a perfectionist, would like to do my job (or hobby) right.

Edited by atari8warez