IGNORED

Skies of Arcadia

Hi,

I reserved Skies of Aracadi based on a friends recommendation. We usuallly have pretty similar tastes in games, so I thought I would go for it.

Does anyone know anything about this game? I never played the Dreacast version (although I wish I would have) and this will be my fist RPG in a couple of years. Does anyone have any thoughts on this game?

Skies of Arcadia has got to be the best RPG I've played in years. The Dreamcast version was quite a long game, clocking in at over 70 hours (including side quests and discoveries), but from what I understand, the GameCube version will be adding another 10+ hours. The only gripe I had about it was the random fights, but those become less of a nuisance later on in the game. I HIGHLY recommend that you pick it up. You won't be disappointed.

It's Sega's way of trying to make some sales out of their best DC games. So far it appears it's worked pretty well, at least with the GC and PS2 releases. I believe Sonic Adventure 2 and Virtua Fighter 4 have been their best sellers since the death of the DC.

I am glad they are rereleasing Sega Games. It would be ashame if there was never another Sonic game just because Sega no longer has a console.

I'll second that. The Sonic Collection on GC is pretty sweet (except for some weird slowdown on Sonic 3 during the third gem maze) and Sonic Adventure on GBA is a blast. :D

I wanted to like Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast, but the too-frequent and too-random battles killed any sense of explorative wonder for me, and the story and characters were soaked in a bland, cutesy, Grandia-esque atmosphere. Still, I'm interested in the GameCube version, as it seems to have corrected at least one of my major gripes with the original.

Random battles are not a problem at all. They are very well spaced out, fast paced, and exciting.

Sure, the characters and storyline are very happy. It creates a great mood for the game, I think. I don't enjoy playing depressing games as much, they just seem so down.

I wanted to like Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast, but the too-frequent and too-random battles killed any sense of explorative wonder for me, and the story and characters were soaked in a bland, cutesy, Grandia-esque atmosphere.  Still, I'm interested in the GameCube version, as it seems to have corrected at least one of my major gripes with the original.

You probably didn't play through it enough. The story doesn't stay quite so cutesy and bland, and the random battles can eventually be avoided (for the most part).

Random battles are not a problem at all. They are very well spaced out, fast paced, and exciting.

Are you sure your playing the same game? I played it, and it had random battles constantly. I stopped playing after an hour because I got so sick of it. It was lent to me by a friend who had also become annoyed with it after a few hours.

I like Evolution 2. It many ways, it's kinda goofy & childish, but on a whole I think it's better. If nothing else, less annoying.

Thou I'd rank Legend of Zelda on the N64 as the best RPG, period.

I wanted to like Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast, but the too-frequent and too-random battles killed any sense of explorative wonder for me, and the story and characters were soaked in a bland, cutesy, Grandia-esque atmosphere.  Still, I'm interested in the GameCube version, as it seems to have corrected at least one of my major gripes with the original.

You probably didn't play through it enough. The story doesn't stay quite so cutesy and bland, and the random battles can eventually be avoided (for the most part).

Perhaps. I gave up on Arcadia after around 25 hours of it, thinking that if the game wasn't shedding either its random combat or twee aura at that point, it would never lose them. I've been meaning to go back, but now I'm not sure if I should finish up the DC original or get the GameCube title, which may have less in the way of overworld battles.

Perhaps.  I gave up on Arcadia after around 25 hours of it, thinking that if the game wasn't shedding either its random combat or twee aura at that point, it would never lose them.  I've been meaning to go back, but now I'm not sure if I should finish up the DC original or get the GameCube title, which may have less in the way of overworld battles.

According to friends who have played both, yes.