IGNORED

Colecovision issues on start-up...

atarilovesyou

So, after turning on my CV tonight, I noticed for the first time in a while that the only way to get it fire up properly (that is, the load screen the show immediately) was to turn it on, then press reset. Before, this never happened. I'd always get the games to fire up immediately. And I was hearing some static-like sounds as well.

My system is in really great shape, and was kept most of it's life in a box I believe. And to be honest, I don't think I've powered it up in about a year. I've heard issues about the power switch, and that's where I think the issue is. After cycling it on and off for a dozen or so games, it's working as usual. I've read that there's some kind of electrical conductive lubricant or something in that switch...that would explain why it started working better once it got 'worked in' so to speak. The only way I'd think to keep it in good shape is to ...play it more often!...lol, good prescription, I'd say.

I also wiggled the power jack slightly. While it didn't cause glitches (thankfully), it did cause some white noise like sounds to happen. Basically, I baby my CV as I've read that they're delicate creatures. I don't hot-swap controllers or anything like that and I keep the carts clean so as not to dirty up the connector inside.

I haven't opened up a CV in decades, but I'm pretty sure there were no real user-serviceable parts in that switch; just a plastic slider over that foil looking thing (love my tech-terms :) ) ...is there anything I can do to keep my system working at its best, easy stuff?

Thanks, any comments would be appreciated.

Power Supply is always a suspect.

Mine had some loose solder spots in it.

Causing problems.

I cracked her open and fixed her up.

But i do not recommend that. unless you know what your doing!

With that said....

Yurkie is the man around these parts. He knows his stuff!

Whatever he recommends i would do.