IGNORED

Question for those in the US I've traded with

AtariLeaf

I've noticed a disturbing trend with regards to those I've traded with in the US and it ties in with my ebay sales. I've had two people who've won auctions from me and they have both emailed me in the last couple of days wondering where their packages are even though I know they were mailed weeks ago.

When I did a recent trade with MMF, it took almost a month to get a game to him so my question is, especially those of you in the US, if you can remember when you got something from me and what the actual postmark was on the package. I realize any packages or envelopes have been probably thrown out by now but if you can recall how long it might have taken, even just a guess, it might help me pin down an average shipping time to the states.

It seems like its taking a lot longer lately.

Thanks

AtariLeaf

aka I_Love_Circus_Atari

One of them was a Captain Beeble for the Atari 8-bit that I sold for almost $30 US. It ended on the 7th of January and I mailed it the next day airmail. Today is the 27th so by Wednesday it would be 3 weeks. I can understand why the buyer is concerned but I don't understand why it would take so long. I marked it as "gift" with a low dollar amount too so it shouldn't have gotten caught at customs but you never know.

@AtariLeaf: Don't ever ship on a weekend... that may be your problem...

Everything shipped on a weekend gets sent to a warehouse for safekeeping, because it doesn't get processed except on weekdays. I don't know when it comes back out again...

I found this out last spring and ever since I stopped shipping on weekends I have had very few problems.. I have only had to replace 1 package in over 2000 since.

I usually do my shipping during the week. I don't think I've ever shipped on a weekend. I usually use the post office at the Shoppers Drug Mart on Seminole. There's a red head behind the counter who doesn't seem like she knows what she's doing half the time. Maybe she's the problem. Perhaps I should use a different post office and I'll get better results.

You should at least give another outlet a try... maybe she isn't getting everything ready by the time the Canada Post truck is there to pick up and your stuff sits there for a few days until she catches up...

The expedited parcels take a long time regardless though... the service rating on them is 8-10 business days, but they seem to always take 3 weeks.

How long does it usually take for someone in Canada to get a package from the U.S.?  I sent out a package two weeks ago today and the guy claims that he does not have it.  He wants his money back.  I rarely ship to Canada.  The only other time that I shipped to Canada the guy had his package in 3 days.

Its usually about 7-10 days. If customs stopped it.. which is likely.. it would add another week or so. If the value on the customs form was more than $15, it is probably stuck at customs.

I think that you can blame at least part (or most) of the holdup on Canada Customs. I recently received a package from Carl Forhan on which he listed the contents as being "Atari (Jaguar) games"; CC processed the package as "nintendo games"...and held the package at the border for a few days. Bet that green PCB Lynx card really threw them for a loop.

Meanwhile, another order from the 'States has been held up at the border for two weeks because some customs agent could only identify a Jaguar + games as "computer parts". :roll:

Instead of writing "gift" on every package, I think it'd be simpler to state "it's NOT Nintendo, stupid!" :)

Okay, I have a couple of supid questions. I have never sent or received anything out of US so what is the deal with the customs? Why would they hold anything? Why does marking it as a gift as well as devaluing it help expedite it along? Do they have any problem with certain items? You mentioned Nintendo twice so I don't know if certain products or companies are restricted in certain areas? Sorry if these are obvious but I haven't encountered this before and just want to find out before I do any business myself with Canada, Europe, etc. Thanks for any help.

Okay, I have a couple of supid questions. I have never sent or received anything out of US so what is the deal with the customs? Why would they hold anything? Why does marking it as a gift as well as devaluing it help expedite it along? Do they have any problem with certain items? You mentioned Nintendo twice so I don't know if certain products or companies are restricted in certain areas? Sorry if these are obvious but I haven't encountered this before and just want to find out before I do any business myself with Canada, Europe, etc. Thanks for any help.

If you mark it as merchandise, they may want to impose a tax on item(s) inside to the recipient; or if it's a gift but you mark it as having a high value. I think one time when I tagged an Atari cart as $10 by mistake (I was mailing out some CD's and just sped through the customs labels) the recipient told me Canadian post charged him $3 C in taxation.