IGNORED

NES WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP CART?

Nintendo Penguin

There are two different carts this games was released in. One version (gold one) was given to winners at the NWC champinchips in 1990 held by Nintendo. There were other given to winners in a contest held by Nintendo Power magazine that same year. The last one on ebay was at $2499, reserve not yet met. I don't believe that it ever sold. The seller later said he paid $4000 for the cart and that was the reserve. OUTRAGEOUS if you ask me. 10 years from now this one won't be that expensive. I'd wait if I were you.

MattG.

Yea.. I've never seen this one before!

$4,000 is a little nuts, imo, for a cart... but everyone has their obsession collections and more power to them! The price will go up if anything, or the seller just will never sell!

At least people are willing to pay for something they can hold..

(I know some people purchase virtual clothing and armor for their characters in whats that game called again? Never-quest? now that's insane ....

(no offense to anyone who may be obsessed by the game)

Clint Thompson

:P

The gold were not given away at the competetion.

The grey ones were and they are numbered. There are AT LEAST 90 grey but collectors can't seem to agree exactly how many. The numbers on the carts seem to indiciate that there could be a couple if not several hundred.

Last grey to actually sell on ebay went for $1,500.00

The gold were used in a Nintendo Power competetion. There were 26 of them and they even had their names and home towns listed in an issue of Nitnendo power. Don't bother trying to track them down it a done deal. Eight or Nine of the original 26 turned up many of the others were simply thrown out.

I bought a gold cart last year for 4k. In my opionion there isn't a cart more valuable. The record price so far is $6,500.00 for a gold NWC btw.

Sorry, I got the grey and gold carts mixed up.

Adam, I have a pamphlet from the 1990 NWC championchips. Have you seen this thing? It explains the contests details and such.

As far as the value of this thing goes, just look at the numbers. There are suposedly around 116 total NWC carts (both grey and gold), probably more. You don't see people shelling out $4000 for cubicolor or video life do you?

True, the gold cart could easily retain it's value or even go up. (26 IS a really low run) But, I doubt that you'll have to spend $1500 for the grey cart 5-10 years from now. They don't even have a label, and are no more appeling than a lableless lab loaner or nes proto to me.

There ARE more expensive carts than this though, FYI. A mint, complete (Or sealed??? I'm not sure if they shrinked Neo Carts or not) AES Metal Slug for the Neo Geo could fetch well over $6000 now a days.

MattG.

There ARE more expensive carts than this though, FYI. A mint, complete (Or sealed??? I'm not sure if they shrinked Neo Carts or not) AES Metal Slug for the Neo Geo could fetch well over $6000 now a days.  

Has it traded hands for over 6k or is this speculation? I think over time you will see that this will be the most valuable cart.

True, the gold cart could easily retain it's value or even go up. (26 IS a really low run) But, I doubt that you'll have to spend $1500 for the grey cart 5-10 years from now. They don't even have a label, and are no more appeling than a lableless lab loaner or nes proto to me.  

I need a grey. If I found one in good shape I'd pay $1,500.00.

The grey carts HAVE a full lable (different than gold) and the labels are numbered. While there were at least 90 printed how many survived? We aren't JUST talking about the rarity it is a VERY desired cart. If there were 90 some swordquest competetion carts given away at the competetion and 15-20 were known I'm sure they would be worth $1,500 each easy and I don't think the price would drop. It would a cart EVERY atari collector would want.

While Atari has many holy grails NES only has 1. Two, if you count grey and gold seperate. The competetion was a BIG deal to NES players they traveled around the counrty and many who were part of the this, site this as one their greatest gaming childhood memories. There was a movie "the wizard" which they also ran out to see in droves.

I dunno when I look at the facts behind this one I can't see any other cart being more valuable. There will others which are rarer or even more desirable to YOU but Nintendo has a HUGE fan base and this is their holy grail.

Adam

I have quite a nice NES collection, it was a huge part of remembering my childhood, ect. and I still have no desire to spend that kind of money on either of those particular carts.

Here's a Metal Slug that is on ebay right now. I think the reserve is $2400. This one isn't sealed either. I did mean a sealed Metal Slug would easily get over $5000, not a complete one. I don't think that many Neo Geo carts came sealed. But, a lot of the early ones did, and the origional Metal Slug was an early release for that system.

As far as speculation goes... If it weren't for speculation, maybe Atlantis II would have never been discovered. (How about that spacechase "monogramed" version?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...18&category=187

MattG.

the gold nwc is definitely the most desirable cart to almost all nintendo collectors. the record price isn't actually $6500 though, unless you're talking about one other than the one that captain falcon put on ebay. that one only got so high because everyone bidding knew the reserve and knew they would never be held to pay that much. the reserve was not met. captain falcon tried selling it again and the bidding didn't go as high and the reserve was not met again. then he needed money badly and ended up selling it to udisi for way less than he originally paid, not sure what the price was though. i would pay $4000-$5000 for one in a second if i had that much extra money to blow.

the gold nwc is definitely the most desirable cart to almost all nintendo collectors. the record price isn't actually $6500 though, unless you're talking about one other than the one that captain falcon put on ebay. that one only got so high because everyone bidding knew the reserve and knew they would never be held to pay that much. the reserve was not met. captain falcon tried selling it again and the bidding didn't go as high and the reserve was not met again. then he needed money badly and ended up selling it to udisi for way less than he originally paid, not sure what the price was though. i would pay $4000-$5000 for one in a second if i had that much extra money to blow.
Well that is the one I am talking about, but not with Captain Falcon as the seller. It was with Captain Falcon as the buyer. He paid $6,500.00 and thats why his reserve was so high.  He did later sell the game outside of eBay but I dunno what he sold it for.  I did make him a low offer which he refused so I believe he got more than that for it.

I had an Atlantis II cart before the boxed one was posted here on Atari age. Its not even in the same ballpark. I think I paid $400 for mine. Its not a 1st party game and few people remember the contest.

Only the Swordquest competetion came close and well Swordquest isn't everybodys game and it wasn't a travelling circus with movie promotions. 

I'm biased though because I have one. 

Adam