IGNORED

Wii U game prices.

I've been thinking about it and there is just no way they are going to be asking $100 for these games. The console is designed for gamers that are a little less "hard core" and the price point is a big part of that. I can't see them having the same level of sales if they move the price up like that.

There is always the posibility that the sales wont be near as good. My grandparents have a Wii because they enjoy the bowling and such with the younger grandchildren. I can't see any reason why they would buy a Wii U and I imagine there are tons of people in the same boat.

You had to think about it?

I was fighting myself a bit on it. There might be something more to programming for that tablet controller set up that would justify the cost, but I'm not the kind of gamer Nintendo really wants for this console. I'll get one, and I wouldn't mind too much paying $100 for a good Zelda game. I wouldn't love it, but I wouldn't hate it either I guess. I just wouldn't buy as many games. It would have to be a bad ass game for the money.

It also feels like something the industry would try at this point. People are very unhappy about the "no used games" model so I can see them jacking up the price to cover that loss in the next generation of consoles.

In the end they would just cost themselves too much, so for all the reasons they might have do it I don't think they will. I had to think about all that to come to the point of knowing this can't really happen. It would be bad for Nintendo's bottom line.

Ughhhhhh. Those are the games huh? Ludicrous. New Super Mario Bros Wii-U? How on earth are Mario games selling for 50 bucks+ these days is beyond me. Nintendo loves their fandom and casual crowd.

That type of stuff isn't worth 60 bucks in my world anymore let alone 40 or 50. There's too many games out there. Too many platforms. Too many games.

My fears were confirmed though.

Nintendo will port existing games giving them a little gimick with the Wii-U mote. Next generation games will be stripped down\gimmicked versions of PS4 and Xbox720 games.

Shovelware will be attempted but I think ultimately will fail miserably as I cant see the system selling as much as the Wii did.

Mario_Facepalm_Ava_mote_by_Artemendo.gif

Don't jump the gun. I do see your point, but don't use Walmart's site as a solid reference. They are just fishing for suckers with disposable income right now.

Like it or not, though, in-house Nintendo games do sell well, even at $50 a pop.

How many times can you re-make or re-port Mario and Zelda, though? Where are the original and fresh games? That's why I never got a Wii and stuck to my XBox 360 and probaly why I'll do so the next console generation. Not that the MS system doesn't have plenty of remakes, but most of the library of the 360 isn't either shovelware or re-hashing of games I lost intrest in 10 years ago cause Nintendo went to the well one too many times.

• Like 2

How many times can you re-make or re-port Mario and Zelda, though?

At least with Mario they are going back to basics, after a long run of free-roaming 3D titles. I thoroughly enjoyed the last NSMB Wii, so I'll probably be in line to pick up this second one. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't worry too much about pricing at the moment, once the console is out there I think there will be a lot of titles going online for less than the RRP.

The bigger question is whether or not the Wii U is going to be worthwhile investing in. My Wii is just used for emulation now , haven't bought a new game for it in ages, even thinking about putting it in storage or selling it. I'm not sure if I'll take a risk on the Wii U.

How many times can you re-make or re-port Mario and Zelda, though? Where are the original and fresh games? That's why I never got a Wii and stuck to my XBox 360 and probaly why I'll do so the next console generation. Not that the MS system doesn't have plenty of remakes, but most of the library of the 360 isn't either shovelware or re-hashing of games I lost intrest in 10 years ago cause Nintendo went to the well one too many times.

I like the Wii for the same reason that you dislike it! :D I have a relatively small library of in-house games that I love, and am

seldom disappointed. For me, the Wii was doing something that no one else was doing, both in terms

of controls and presentation. Everything felt right. Galaxy 1 and 2 blew my mind, and the Wiimote/nunchuk

setup worked well. The platformers are all excellent; again, the Wiimote is a good fit. I am not bothered by the shovelware because I can obviously spot it from a mile away.

My Wii Library is fairly small containing mostly Wii Sports/Resort/Play/Fit which I really enjoy as well as Just Dance (which my daughter loves although there is a video in the dark recesses of my household showing me dancing to Katy Perry's 'Hot and Cold' which will never see the light of day) and a couple that I picked up for me - Gotlieb Pinball and Worms Battle Islands.

I'm slightly interested in the Wii U but will probably be a very late adopter, if at all. I'll need a lot more info on the system and games before I'll make a final judgement but I highly doubt the prices will be that egregious

I like the Wii for the same reason that you dislike it! :D I have a relatively small library of in-house games that I love, and am seldom disappointed.

There's a small heap of outstanding 3rd party games, too. I loved Mad World and Red Steel 2. Kororinpa, also great.

Oh man, I love me some Mad World.

You know though, I've never made it through the game. I start back at the begining, play for a bit, then drop it for months (years) before starting back at the begining. Done that about 3 times now.

How long does it take to play through? If Wii U launched with a Mad World game, I'd be interested.

Mad World was pretty average gameplay length if I remember, 7 hours-ish?. Short for some people? It was about right for me.

Its been a long while. I bought Mad World and No More Heroes for under 10 bucks. Probably two games that were worth every cent at that price, they were in a discount rack at Target!

I wonder how long before the Wii-U gets homebrewed. :P

Off-topic, but the 'next' MadWorld game is called Anarchy Reigns (Max Anarchy in Japan) and it's an online multiplayer beat-em-up for PS3 & 360. Characters from MadWorld, Bayonetta, and some original characters in massive rumbles.

It releases next month in Japan, but there's already a free demo available on the JPN PSN. It's fun.

US release has already been pushed back twice and is currently scheduled for January 2013.

Off-topic, but the 'next' MadWorld game is called Anarchy Reigns (Max Anarchy in Japan) and it's an online multiplayer beat-em-up for PS3 & 360. Characters from MadWorld, Bayonetta, and some original characters in massive rumbles.

It releases next month in Japan, but there's already a free demo available on the JPN PSN. It's fun.

US release has already been pushed back twice and is currently scheduled for January 2013.

Yeah... that game looks like it's about thirteen years too late. It would've fit right in on the Dreamcast. I don't imagine it'll sell very well in 2013.

Yeah... that game looks like it's about thirteen years too late. It would've fit right in on the Dreamcast. I don't imagine it'll sell very well in 2013.

I think it'll do ok with the 'hardcore' crowd. Besides two single player storylines & co-op, there's also team fighting with up to 4 on 4 online rumbles. The speed of gameplay & massive combos are probably more than the Dreamcast could have handled... it's far beyond Powerstone 2. :D Gameplay style flashes back to that era but the technology is more inline with a multiplayer Bayonetta.

Edited by boog
  • Like 1