IGNORED

games that kept your console on for days non-stop

Before save-states, save files, and even password systems, there were games. Some were easy, and some were not. What memories do you have of keeping your console powered on for an extended period of time just so you could play through a game?

For me it was Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight (NES), not because it was lengthy but because back then it was friggin HARD. Took me an entire summer weekend in the early 90s to complete the game. Actually, my older brother killed the final boss so technically he beat it, but I was there. And my poor toaster NES was nice and toasty the entire time.

Zillion for the Sega Master System. At least the lengthy games for Atari/Commodore would usually have a 'save' feature but not Zillion. I remember leaving the system on for a few days so I could map out the tunnels and items - then I had to restart a few times after that and finally I think it took me about 2 or 3 hours to beat the game.

I admit that I never kept a system on all day (or for days). Can't remember ever needing to do that. I own Zillion but have yet to actually play it!

Zillion is one of the best games for the SMS. It's action packed, has great graphics, great sound, it's a puzzle game as well - it will keep you interested.

I admit that I never kept a system on all day (or for days). Can't remember ever needing to do that. I own Zillion but have yet to actually play it!

Zillion is one of the best games for the SMS. It's action packed, has great graphics, great sound, it's a puzzle game as well - it will keep you interested.

I beg to differ, lol

I had my Sega Master System on for 3 days a few years ago while working on my Transbot high score.

In the end I got up to approximately 5.5 Million. I was sad to see it end, but relieved at the same time.

I could have done it in one day I'm sure but I only get a few hours of gaming time a day, if I'm lucky, plus by taking a break every few hours and playing more the next day I think it helped me from making stupid mistakes, I was always fresh and ready to play and not getting lazy or cramped hands & thumbs.

EDIT: I had my GCN on for a whole WEEK once. It wasn't intentional though, I was midway through playing, started having chest problems, went upstairs... long story short I ended up in an ICU for a week with arythmias. When I came home I couldn't believe my bedroom light was still on, my TV and GCN with RE4 waiting for me to confirm whether or not I wanted to save over my previous file.

Edited by Torr

Jerome Domurat's initials in E.T. were easy to find and get any time you wanted, so that wasn't such a big deal, but when I discovered the Yar and black E.T., I kept the game on for days trying to get the Yar and black E.T. again.

www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-et.html

I didn't know that I had to turn the game off and back on or hit the reset switch to find the Yar again. I wasted many days in a row without turning off the Atari 2600, hunting for that freakin' Yar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUsgtNxCOOk

When I was single and lived in a studio I used to leave Dragon Warrior III on for days at a time on the NES, same with The Legend of Zelda....but for a different reason....my savegame battery died and I had to make it all one trip through...I really need to get around to replacing that thing.

Before my 20's though, I never did that, not allowed where I grew up. Just had to start all over! I envy those of you who had it so easy.

• Like 1

The two games I remember doing this with are Blaster Master and Metroid. I know Metroid has a password feature, but once you had even two energy tanks (let alone six) it was such a pain to drain all of that energy just to get to the password. Then, once you started back up you had to go about filling the tanks again! Grrrrr....