IGNORED

Gauging interest New XF551 Drive mainboard

Dropcheck

Just as an exercise, I looked up the cost of a 4-layer PCB that was the same size and layout of the PCB in the 1050. At 100 quantities, they cost about $40 each - not too bad. Of course, you don't need anywhere near all the real estate on a full-size, 6x9 inch 1050 board, so there's lots of room for added features like SD/CF readers.

Use the 2793/7 that's in the 1050 along with some of the existing components (like switches, SIO connectors, LEDs and such). A 65816 and a couple of megs of memory and you could do a lot of nice things.

How about a 'ripper' that copies a diskette onto a CF or SD card all in the 1050? Why move the data over SIO into the computer just to send it back over SIO to the destination?

But, it's getting away from your original concept, which is still a good idea - I have a couple of XF551 PCBs that I would like to replace.

Bob

• 5 months later...

See http://www.bitsofthepast.com I should recieve test power supply boards by the end of this week, postal service permitting. If I don't blow up the test board I should be able to send my final board to manufacturing within a few more weeks.

I know it's been slow. :( I have had to self teach myself about all aspects of pcb board design, software usage, testing and then make the usual mistakes. That takes an incredible amount of time. I definitely think I might have bitten off more than I could chew at the time. Hang in there, I think when I'm done it will be worth the wait. ;-)

• Like 5

I have finally procured an XF551 myself, and I'm amongst the interested, too. Like so many other projects, I'd rather wait however long it takes to work things out slowly and methodically than rush and find a bug or something. XF551s aren't going anywhere any time soon! :) Nice website, Dropcheck.