IGNORED

Work In Progress: "Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest"

PacManPlus

There's a round in Level 6 that looks VERY much like level 2, but it adds parallax scrolling to the sky and looks MUCH more interesting. Perhaps the detail worked into that round of level 6 could be added to level 2?

The parallax scrolling done in Bentley is so cool. I could definitely second a request to see more of it if possible and not too much of a burden :-D

It's been a while since I tried a build of this, but did you ever add more power-ups? That was the major thing I felt it was lacking. I like that the levels are long but it needed something more to keep it interesting beyond the first power-up in 1-5 or 1-6. I'd not played it in a while and stopped looking at this thread -but now that you are here again :grin: Welcome back! :)

Hmmm.. Which version of ProSystem are you using? What exactly is happening?

Is anyone else having issues running the new bin?

Thanks,

Bob

New version works great under MESS 0.147u4 and latest SVN. In fact, it is awesome! The jump sound is updated so I longer picture "Adventures of Tron", plus some additional sounds to boot - I.E. Crashing into rocks.

Works great here, no problems. Prosystem 1.3e also no problems.

Greg,

Two things to note that might be understood incorrectly: 1) The new jump sound is lower pitched than the old - could be heard by some as seeming "slower". 2) If using ProSystem and you do not hold down the difficulty switch input prior to the beginning of each level and life, Bentley will not and does not run.

Oh, and the "P" version is not to stipulate POKEY, but PAL. I believe you are running the PAL ROM in an NTSC region. In that case everything is running 50 instead of 60Hz.

It's been a while since I tried a build of this, but did you ever add more power-ups? That was the major thing I felt it was lacking. I like that the levels are long but it needed something more to keep it interesting beyond the first power-up in 1-5 or 1-6. I'd not played it in a while and stopped looking at this thread -but now that you are here again :grin: Welcome back! :)

I agree! I think is better option than changing difficulty. In fact I was thinking in 2 things about the game: more power ups and add bonus items!

I agree! I think is better option than changing difficulty. In fact I was thinking in 2 things about the game: more power ups and add bonus items!

Otherwise it's a rock solid platformed on the beloved 7800. I do so enjoy the hat. I just want more of that type of thing, more frequently. There is a reason New Adventure Island and Super Mario shine above other sidescrolling platform games.

It's funny how for example I'm bored these days with Space Invaders, but Galaga I can never get enough of. They essentially do the same thing. Just those darn ship 2 and 3 ship upgrades keep me at it. :D

Awesome. Would love to see more side scrollers like this developed for the 7800. Scrapyard Dog and

Midnight Mutants have always been my favorite games. Will this be available in cart form from Atari Age Store once it is done?

Will you need an XM to play it? Sorry if this has already been asked. Been away for about 6 months. My wife had a baby. Great job.

Edited by slackerwithin

Thank you!

Yes, you will need an XM for the sound (it will use the Yamaha chip, once I have all of the tunes composed). Perry (tep392) is *awesome* at coding sound drivers (and coding in general) and will be helping me with the sound for this. He is a good person as well. :)

I haven't had time to work on it yet, but I hope to this weekend.

Bob

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words :)

Without the XM it will be silent. The last one I posted is a 'TIA sound' one ( only because I'm trying to please everyone - a recipie for disaster I know :( ) but there will be no background music for that one as IMHO silence is better than single-channel TIA music.

The 'finished' version will be XM-only, for Yamaha sound (and will be silent without the XM).

Thanks!

Bob

Silence!!!!

I keel you!!!!

:)

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words :)

Without the XM it will be silent. The last one I posted is a 'TIA sound' one ( only because I'm trying to please everyone - a recipie for disaster I know :( ) but there will be no background music for that one as IMHO silence is better than single-channel TIA music.

The 'finished' version will be XM-only, for Yamaha sound (and will be silent without the XM).

Thanks!

Bob

Silence!!!!

I keel you!!!!

:)

Well compared to the fingernails on a chalk board sound of DK and Mario Bros... I'd certainly rather have silence when it comes to the music. Although there are a few games (and homebrew) that have managed to squeeze some decent stuff out of it.. The thing is kinda limited in the musical notes it can reproduce anyways.

BTW, the reason I mention 'single channel' on the TIA is because I'm using one channel for sound effects, which leaves the only other channel for the music (because it has to play without interruption in the background).

Another BTW, the 'Silence!!! I keel you!!!' is a Jeff Dunham reference for those who didn't get it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go

• Like 1

New version works great under MESS 0.147u4 and latest SVN. In fact, it is awesome! The jump sound is updated so I longer picture "Adventures of Tron", plus some additional sounds to boot - I.E. Crashing into rocks.

Works great here, no problems. Prosystem 1.3e also no problems.

Greg,

Two things to note that might be understood incorrectly: 1) The new jump sound is lower pitched than the old - could be heard by some as seeming "slower". 2) If using ProSystem and you do not hold down the difficulty switch input prior to the beginning of each level and life, Bentley will not and does not run.

Oh, and the "P" version is not to stipulate POKEY, but PAL. I believe you are running the PAL ROM in an NTSC region. In that case everything is running 50 instead of 60Hz.

In my case D is for dufus, yes I forgot that P is for PAL! I'm not a fan of ProSystem, so I tried upgrading Mess to 0.147 and that quite literally was a mess. Colors are all off now for some reason!

I tried upgrading Mess to 0.147 and that quite literally was a mess. Colors are all off now for some reason!

MESS 0.147 contains an older incorrect palette where the forest will appear brown/red instead of a green color.

During the MESS 0.147uX cycle is where fixes to the palette have taken place. It was finished up by 0.147u4 or one of the SVN releases shortly after that.

If you do not enable HLSL and YIQ emulation you will only obtain the RAW video output of the 7800 (Which may look very similar to a composite mod on a digital HDTV). Which is accurate, but not what you would see on a typical CRT TV.

YUV color palette is what a CRT TV provides and MESS is actually the only 7800 emulator to handle it properly. See here for more details: http://www.atariage....2/#entry2660238

However, as a side note there may be a problem with YIQ emulation in the final 0.148 release.***

***CONFIRMED: On MESS message boards narrowed down issue with SVN r19984 or newer. If you use SVN r19643 through SVN r19965 YIQ emulation works great generating a proper color palette and CRT effects. You can get the SVN r19643 in the zip file I have posted below or here for another good SVN release:

http://down.emucr.com/v3/4228001

http://down.emucr.com/v3/4196003

Just make sure to use the "mediafire" link download. It is the 'cleanest' and 'easiest'.

As mentioned, I zipped up a file containing MESS SVN r19643 along with the necessary hlsl files in their respective folder here: http://www.filedropper.com/mess-svn

Enable hlsl support under mess.ini. Enable read and write to it as well under the same section. Load/Run the a7800 emulator and exit. It will have placed a a7800.ini file inside the hlsl folder. Under that folder and file enable yiq emulation and ensure the following values are also in place:

yiq_enable			 1
yiq_cc				 3.597545
yiq_a				 0.500000
yiq_b				 0.500000
yiq_o				 1.000000
yiq_p				 1.000000
yiq_n				 1.000000
yiq_y				 6.000000
yiq_i				 1.200000
yiq_q				 0.200000
yiq_scan_time		 52.599998
yiq_phase_count	 2

If you do that you will end up with this: post-18-0-18159800-1358048160_thumb.png

I also will post the correct a7800.ini to be placed in the hlsl folder here to: a7800HLSLini.zip

Just unzip that a7800.ini file and make sure it is under the hlsl folder with the other files you downloaded from the link above and you will already the above mentioned settings in place.

Again, though make sure under mess.ini you enable hlsl support and read as well as write to ensure it reads the file in the hlsl folder and any adjustments you may make to it while running MESS realtime.

That section looks like this inside mess.ini

# DIRECT3D POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
hlsl_enable			 1
hlslpath				 hlsl
hlsl_ini_read			 1
hlsl_ini_write		 1

You can tweak until your heart is content with a slew of additional options available.

I finally got around to playing this again. On a real 7800 it's impossible with the Radica Space Invaders joystick due to button layout. I have no idea how it would work with a proline controller. It's very playable with a modded NES pad though. It's hard but a lot of 80s games were hard.