IGNORED

Work In Progress: "Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest"

PacManPlus

Broken Witch split down the middle occasionally - May just be an emulator issue than actual game problem - but reporting just in case:

post-18-0-53125600-1372723079_thumb.png

Damn. I thought I got that issue fixed. what happens is the witch is made up of 4 sprites, and for some reason the 'left half' (i.e. left two sprites) seem to be updating their position in one frame, and the right half (i.e. right two sprites) are updating in the next. That's when you see the split. :(

I'll have to revisit that.

Damn it...Stop batting away my attacks :-D

post-18-0-23092700-1372728957_thumb.png

:D

BTW, just as a side note, if there are no sprites available when the knight does his swipe - you will not see the actual swipe graphic pictured above, but you will still see the effects.

Bob

Bob,

Encountered a tree stuck at the edge of the left-side of the screen on 1-2. I came across the top grabbed the green jewel, and then noticed the tree never left the screen. Save state attached and screen capture below. Shooting it with the jewel does nothing. You also do not die, if you run into it.

bent1-2_treestuck.zip

post-18-0-73068100-1372933718_thumb.png post-18-0-21546700-1372934208_thumb.png

Minor thing as I've played games where a sprite would glitch and didn't leave the screen when it should have but concerned in case it uncovers a greater bug that could affect gameplay.

Moving forward to the right, the tree scrolls off the screen and the game continues as normal.

post-18-0-38606200-1372934020_thumb.png

Damn. I thought I got that issue fixed. what happens is the witch is made up of 4 sprites, and for some reason the 'left half' (i.e. left two sprites) seem to be updating their position in one frame, and the right half (i.e. right two sprites) are updating in the next. That's when you see the split. :(

Playing a little more and only seen it happen on the witch in 1-8, and only when (and after) going in reverse. Initially when she appears and moves forward there is no "split"

World 2-8 witch is perfectly fine the entire time.

The enemy off the left side of the screen I kind of knew about : :( I'll look at that as well.

The green gem is more of an 'upgrade' to the red and white gems. It doubles the 'hit points' of whatever gem you have.

Thanks for the clarification about the Boss Witch - I'll see if that helps figure out what's going on.

:)

Blob

• Like 1

The enemy off the left side of the screen I kind of knew about : :( I'll look at that as well.

The green gem is more of an 'upgrade' to the red and white gems. It doubles the 'hit points' of whatever gem you have.

Thanks for the clarification about the Boss Witch - I'll see if that helps figure out what's going on.

:)

Blob

Can't say I like you much, bub.

-Wolverine ;)

For the curious, who haven't tried, or reached it yet...Level 3 music is sweet and nutty.

That is the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies from the Nutcracker suite. Those who listen carefully will notice, the glissando bit at the end was used in the original Crystal Castles game, for Bentley's invincible music. :)

• Like 2

Just wanted to throw this out there in case some people are thinking this game may not be ready for release. This game is beyond ready for release status. Some of these issues are only evident due to the raw high resolution of playing them via emulation and seeing edge to edge of the screen. Some things such as the tree being stuck or even the 'split witch' on 1-8 is mild and via a CRT screen though RF/Composite could likely go not even observed by most who play it. Especially compare to some of the commercial titles put out on even competing systems of the time and their various issues.

A clear example is Rygar for the NES. It is my favorite NES game of all time, a "cult classic", and far superior to the original Arcade counterpart. However, it is riddled with graphical glitches throughout the game and other (even gameplay) related issues (i.e. being able to traverse areas that you should not). Problems include the last boss which can at times completely disappear from the screen or his arms go completely missing yet projectiles continue to come from where the mouths "should be" located.

I've played this from start to finish and it is nothing short of magnificent. Unlike Rygar which had a major company (TECMO) behind it, this basically has been accomplished by major input of three people (Don't mean to overlook or forget any contributors). You have Bob on lead, Red for graphic assistance, and of course Synthpopalooza for music. Synth's music choice is nothing shy of awesome. Love it, and incredibly thankful Bob was humble and persistent enough to have this accomplished and Synthpopalooza was gracious enough to pick and code the music marvelously.

Ultimately, the most important piece is the gameplay (IMHO), and this plays perfectly. Bentley's physics are great, controls spot-on, and enemy AI along with some great level designs makes you not want to put this game down. Never feels dull, boring or repetitious. If RC2 was put on cart today, it would be awesome and likely all the things I mentioned may have went unnoticed by many. I only bring stuff up as I know how much of a perfectionist Bob is and if there is something than can be fixed or modified for the better he will (and would want to) implement it.

Seriously though, this is done. The game is superb, including fantastic graphics and amazing music making it a must own for the 7800. Sometimes I think how the heck Atari didn't do or think of this back in the day but instead delivered the likes of Scrapyard Dog...Guess they were just trying to find an alternative big-nose human mascot character...lol.

Make no mistake about it though this title is to the 7800 as much as Sonic the Hedgehog is to the Genesis or Super Mario Bros. is to the NES. Bentley Bear - Crystal Quest is the flagship game of the 7800 in this modern era.

• Like 5

I totally concur with Trebor...this game is outstanding. It has all of the elements of a great commercial title...Great Graphics..awesome soundtrack..killer control..and replayability. It never gets boring...challenging...holds the players attention and you don't want to put down the controller. Its that good!!!!.

I have yet to finish the game..(stuck in 2-3) I have seen screenshots of the other levels and I cannot say anything but DAYUM!!!!!! THIS IS ON ATARI 7800???!!!!

Homebrewers are taking this system to the next level.....Bentleys Crystal Quest, Get Lost, Pacman Collection, Failsafe, Armour Attack....are but a fraction of the phenominal games that are now out there.

Makes me want to get another 7800 console and a CC2 just to play on real hardware in my front room on my CRT television.

I cannot thank Bob and John and all the other homebrew programmers for breathing new life into the 7800 scene.

ROCK ON DUDES!!!! :thumbsup: :D

• Like 5

Holy carp :-o

Thanks guys - you are waaaayyy to cool. You guys are the best - and one of the reasons I keep doing this. (Also because I can't seem to stop for some reason - it's the only programming I do lately since my job doesn't require it).

Those kind words mean quite a lot to me - and they are *greatly* appreciated.

Thank you * 1,000,000

Bob

• Like 2

Holy carp :-o

Thanks guys - you are waaaayyy to cool. You guys are the best - and one of the reasons I keep doing this. (Also because I can't seem to stop for some reason - it's the only programming I do lately since my job doesn't require it).

Those kind words mean quite a lot to me - and they are *greatly* appreciated.

Thank you * 1,000,000

Bob

They are WELL deserved!!!

To Trebor, I totally agree with everything you have said and would also like to say Rygar on the NES holds a special place for me also, it was the first game i purchased and it still gets a regular play today.

Basically the next thing i would like to know is when can i give somebody some money for a cartridge version of this absolutely fantastic game, a huge round of applause for everyone that made this happen, The Atari family is the absolute best!

• Like 1

Bob did a really awesome job.

And in my opinion it's really great that the game is a 7800 exclusive title.

You can play Asteroids or Frogger on nearly every System ever made on this planet but Bentley Bear is ProSystem only :)

Yeah - but the 7800 Frogger rocks. :-)

• Like 1

Bob did a really awesome job.

And in my opinion it's really great that the game is a 7800 exclusive title.

You can play Asteroids or Frogger on nearly every System ever made on this planet but Bentley Bear is ProSystem only :)

The humility and general awesomeness of the individuals who share their talents with the 7800 community never ceases to amaze me.

For those not in the know, Schmutzpuppe is the programmer behind Froggie (7800 port of Frogger).

As Drac noted the game rocks. It is a more than welcomed addition to the 7800 - really a fantastic port!

Still, oh yeah, Bentley is a 7800 exclusive and that is SWEET.

Hi Bob

You know,MOON CRESTA is my all time favourite game.Sure,BENTLEY is better,but you know,why i love MOON CRESTA????

Bentley is great.....Sure FROGGER is great too,but wich USERS can Play BENTLEY on their System????

Bentley is original just for my beloved 7800 System :)

If i ever become a millionaire,you could give up your actual Job and work for me.....Just make new 7800 games......

But i know,this is a dream......

There would be only one game,which could beat BENTLEY.... :)

You know,what i mean......

I am happy,that we have such a great guy like you in our 7800 forum..........

greetings Walter

• Like 1

Blue, while I appreciate the compliments, why did you post the ending game screenshots? Without even a spolier tag? Can you (or an admin) remove them please?

Yes, the game ends after level 5-8. Level 6 is a hidden level that you have to find. There are no levels 7 or 8.

BTW, the game is actually finished, sans a few little bugs I need to look at.

EDIT - Thanks Al, Blue for understanding and removing the shots.

Edited by PacManPlus