IGNORED

Gauntlet Pre Order and Playable Demo

ziggystar

Played it a while this morning. Got to level 22 before my health ran out.

No lockups this time around, but there was a few times I thought the game was stuck.

Like at the beginning of a level I couldn't see my Wizard any where. But the health was ticking down.

Also, I shot a potion and the explosion went on for quite some time...

22?!

You 're a hell of a gamer...

I can't pass level 9

Not super psyched, I must say. The shooting is so slow and glitchy, it's hard to play. The movement, as previously stated, is slow and frustrating. The 5200 is all about the gameplay, and unfortunately this one doesn't cut the mustard. I'm a supporter of Mean Hamster/Ziggystar, but this one I'd rather of waited for it to be perfected more before release. Dark Chambers on the 7800 blows this away, they should have just slapped the Gauntlet title on that one back in the day.

Title screen is great, like the music and sound effects, it's too bad the gameplay doesn't live up - smooth movement of your character is key - because I know this was a huge work for these guys and they've always put out quality products in the past. I will continue to support them, but this Gauntlet is not representing the 5200 the way it should.

• Like 1

I'm not going to bash the programming, because it's a mighty effort to do a game like this on the 5200, with its limitations. I decided to pass though, because it was clear he would sell out, and the gameplay wasn't to my liking enough. But if he was in need of a buyer to finish out, I would have.

Not super psyched, I must say. The shooting is so slow and glitchy, it's hard to play. The movement, as previously stated, is slow and frustrating. The 5200 is all about the gameplay, and unfortunately this one doesn't cut the mustard. I'm a supporter of Mean Hamster/Ziggystar, but this one I'd rather of waited for it to be perfected more before release. Dark Chambers on the 7800 blows this away, they should have just slapped the Gauntlet title on that one back in the day.

Title screen is great, like the music and sound effects, it's too bad the gameplay doesn't live up - smooth movement of your character is key - because I know this was a huge work for these guys and they've always put out quality products in the past. I will continue to support them, but this Gauntlet is not representing the 5200 the way it should.

I think that's fair criticism. It's a great attempt, but it falls flat due to character and missile movements and color limitations. Perhaps it could use more fine tuning, perhaps the 5200 was just not up to this task. As someone who knows zero about programming, I'm happy anyone is still out there experimenting and trying to write new code and do some creative things to push boundaries.

16 kb ram is not enough for Gauntlet.

That's why the scroll is so choppy.

should have been released with some kind of ram inside the cart or not at all

(Ziggy is not a supporter of digital releases,

so taking advante of the ultimate sd cart was out of the question)

i love to have one more game on the 5200's library :-D

but i don't see myself playing this that much

16 mb ram is not enough for Gauntlet.

That's why the scroll is so choppy.

16 mb would be more than sufficient, but ah well the 5200 actually has 16K ;) Gauntlet is a custom bankswitched 64K game for the 5200. I can't think of another game that big. It's a programming marvel even if it's not perfect scrolling.

-Jeff

I'm with you on this. I typed a whole screen worth of what I don't like about the game. I decided to delete it. I don't want to come across as being mean. I'll just say that this release has very bad game play. It is clunky and slow and sloppy. On top of that it is buggy. I'm a life long Gauntlet fan but this one just doesn't deliver. It is unfortunate. I always support home-brew efforts when I can. I didn't expect too much with the 5200 having very little memory. Still, the absence of game play in this one is baffling. In the end you have to call things what they are.

**edit I didn't realize the pcb was custom. my bad.

Edited by Official Ninja
  • Like 1

16 mb would be more than sufficient, but ah well the 5200 actually has 16K ;) Gauntlet is a custom bankswitched 64K game for the 5200. I can't think of another game that big. It's a programming marvel even if it's not perfect scrolling.

-Jeff

we all know i meant to write 16k,

and with a game like Gauntlet, "running " through the levels requires having them in ram

but main memory is not enough without some "help" hence the choppy scrolling

Got mine today, and, I'm not gonna lie I'm a little underwhelmed. No crashing so far, and TBH, the choppy movement and shooting issues I can handle. What I'm disappointed in are the background colors. The bright green and violet are almost painful to look at. Still, I understand and appreciate the hard work and effort that went into this. :thumbsup:

I understand and appreciate the hard work and effort that went into this. :thumbsup:

Same here! While it admittedly doesn't have the fluidity of the arcade game (which shouldn't have been expected given the 5200's limitations,) it is definitely fun and a welcome addition to the 5200's library. Thanks, ziggystar!

Played it last nite. What an accomplishment. Great to look at and fun to play. This would have been a must have back in the 80's. Sure it has some chop but it's still a gem! Thanks so much! Now... any chance we can get a re-release of Klax? :D

That would be sweet!