IGNORED

Any flash cart interest

gameofyou

Ah, a straight-from-the-textbook reverse-psychology attempt. Nice try, but it's not gonna work.

Plus your argument isn't very good. Just because something is not against the law doesn't mean it's a good idea. Revealing info about the Skunkboard protection would help people intending to pirate BS(G) (which is a principle I don't condone, regardless of my negative opinion of the game and its authors), would be useless to others, and would hurt kskunk & Tursi.

Plus... as you say yourself, if the game is bad, why even bother?

My argument is enough to beat your no argument at all.

You say you don't want to do bad things for Kskunk and Tursi? Why? Because they might get mad in your next barbecue together?

To ruin a product they won't even produce anymore?

Because it bad to talk about security measures on a Skunkboard Firmware that was updated in 2009 for the last time?

If you know it: share or else just shut up.

Yeah, I'm sure those who know how to circumvent this are going to tell you, or even post about it in a public forum. That would be such an intelligent idea...

Or just avoid reading the PM part of my previews post, ignoring it. You can always PM me.

Or... you can do like every kid does: Nah Nah Nah I know it Nah Nah but I won't tell you Nah Nah Nah just because you know nothing.

BTW: you won't get any kind of law issue for the following reasons:

1. You're not providing the rom.

2. People provide patchs and patchs are legal.

3. You are not circunventing the skunkboard altering it but altering the rom.

So yeah, it's a good idea to spread the word on how to by pass it, unless you don't know how to.

Either way, how cares? An eeprom programmer and a donor cartridge is all you need to play this game and it sucks.

It's funny that the majority of people that say the game sucks are the ones that are pissed they can't pirate it. If it's such a shit game, why do you want a copy?

People who payed for the Skunkboard care. When you buy some overpriced flash cartridge the least you want it to do is load games.

They never even released a list of "forbidden" games.

So you get the flash cartridge and you would be surprised when loading a game with a message: choose another game.

In the end you are cheated.

The other reason is to circunvent a stupid measure. The same reason as people would install linux on a PS3/Xbox or even toaster if they can.

Edited by GeneralMurdock

I'd love a Jag flashcart, but I seriously doubt it will happen any time soon. The Jaguar community is full of enough crazies that if something like this did come to pass they actively sabotage it or get it shut down through other methods. I've said it once and I'll say it again, there are some serious psychos in the Jag community. We have a theory that it's something in the plastic.

It's the Jaguar's spinning cube, it hypnotizes the weak-minded (sort of like what the Jedi can do) and they go psycho, only the strong-minded and those with a JagCD to bypass it are immune or protected. That's my theory...

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I'd love a Jag flashcart, but I seriously doubt it will happen any time soon. The Jaguar community is full of enough crazies that if something like this did come to pass they actively sabotage it or get it shut down through other methods. I've said it once and I'll say it again, there are some serious psychos in the Jag community. We have a theory that it's something in the plastic.

It's the Jaguar's spinning cube, it hypnotizes the weak-minded (sort of like what the Jedi can do) and they go psycho, only the strong-minded and those with a JagCD to bypass it are immune or protected. That's my theory...

Hey! We're not weak minded! Just horny. Me and the General thought this topic was about a flesh cart.

Just to chime in. I would absolutely buy an Everdrive for my Jag. I get tired of cleaning carts and digging through my collection.

My mancave is only 10x11 and splits space between my comic book collection, toys, and my retro collection. I keep my Jag connected just like all my systems, but the games are stored along with many of my others due to space. (I keep 2600, 7800, Genesis, Nes, and the disc based systems ready access but I can't face everything.)

I know it!!

[Troll on a Jaguar]

Love it. :D

There's no disputing that a much cheaper flashcart is possible for the Jaguar, especially if you delete the USB host ports, and use modern 2012 technology.

I had crazy ideas when I designed the Skunkboard over 6 years ago. At that time, it was expensive to add USB host ports, but I did it anyway, hoping software would be written to use them. That hasn't happened yet. But if/when it does, the real power of the Skunkboard will be unlocked.

It's not a choice to stop making Skunkboards. The design is too old, so the parts are unavailable at any price. The only option for more flash carts is a brand new design. Sadly, I have to earn a living right now. You'll need to find a new volunteer.

In a way, I'm glad the Skunkboard is done. It's time for something new. If they were still selling Cuttle Carts, would we have Harmony? That's how the hobby advances.

There's no money in the Jaguar, which means you have to wait for a volunteer to do the next one. Luckily, there are smart guys like gameofyou out there looking for a new challenge. (Pssst.. Let's try not to act like crazy people, so he'll stick around.)

If anyone wants to come by for a barbecue and sketch out some low-cost designs, PM me! I have way more ideas than free time for this hobby. :)

- KS

Edited by kskunk
  • Like 9

Oh geez, it looks like we have another RT on our hands. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.. Except that there can only be one RT!

I don't know if you are refering to me or theloon, but anyway, there's something you are forgetting ( assuming you are refering to the Highlander "there can be only one" in regards to RT), there were a lot more than one immortal, there can be only one IN THE END.

Edited by Gunstar

Oh geez, it looks like we have another RT on our hands. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.. Except that there can only be one RT!

I don't know if you are refering to me or theloon, but anyway, there's something you are forgetting ( assuming you are refering to the Highlander "there can be only one" in regards to RT), there were a lot more than one immortal, there can be only one IN THE END.

Nah, I was talking about theloon's comment, and referring to our RT, Random Terrain.

How could there possibly be any hope of anyone writing USB interface code for the Skunkboard when there's no documentation on how to twiddle the bits? :P Serious question.

Serious answer: If you own a Skunkboard, you already have example code showing how to do this on your PC. :)

The Skunkboard documentation has a section titled 'Programming with the Skunkboard'. That section will point you to the file skunk.s. skunk.s includes commented examples that access the USB controller from the 68K. Also included in Skunkboard.zip is jdb.s, which shows a simpler/more direct use of the USB controller.

The USB controller is very well documented by its manufacturer. Go here for example code, including USB flash drive control:

http://www.cypress.c...Y7C67300-100AXI

Also, check out the Skunkboard forums. Tursi posted a nice overview of how to get started from a few years ago:

http://www.harmlessl....php?f=12&t=402

Over the years, I've helped a few people who PMed me with questions about this code. Don't hesitate to PM if you want more help. I'm very excited about the prospect of people using these ports.

- KS

Edited by kskunk
  • Like 1

Oh yes, there can be only one...and the sequels... and the tv series... and the cartoon... and the re-make...

And in the end, there's only ONE good one, the original. Never did see or hear about the re-make though, but I expect that's a good thing.

Actually it checks for Mad Bodies as well, but that's a blessing in disguise :)

No, it doesn't. Mad Bodies came out after the Skunkboard.

Indeed, it is probably the other way around. It is easy to detect if a program is running on a SkunkBoard and stop working. And you don't even have to test explicitly for a SkunkBoard. You can also test if the cart is 16-bits wide instead of 32 bits. Or have a different start address than $802000 and the program will not work on a skunk too.

Robert

Thanks for the link to the datasheet, it's the first time I've ever seen a link to it. Also, the links to the reference drivers in that forum post don't work; unfortunately they only redirect to the front page. :(

Confirmed. They worked the day I posted that.

Luckily, Cypress' webpage has a "Search" function, and the part number is readable on the IC itself. A bit of digging, it looks like they got picky on the format of the URL, it MUST contain 'www' and the "rid" part is now "rID".

So to recap, the datasheet link: http://www.cypress.com/?mpn=CY7C67300-100AXI

Reference Mass Storage design: http://www.cypress.com/?rID=14383

Alternate design: http://www.cypress.com/?rID=12902

I'll update that thread too, but at least here the links are clickable. ;)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not around much these days, so I was a little sad when I recently went to order a SB Ghost and...you guessed it. I've signed up for the GS mailing list in the hope that some more rev. 3s will be released.

What sort of things could potentially be done with the USB ports? Allow the use of USB controllers (with analogue sticks)? Print a screen dump to a printer ;) ? USB keyboard?

Oh, as far as an Everdrive type device that uses either SD cards or USB sticks to store multiple games, I'd be in like a shot. To be able to store my 50 odd games, especially CD based ones, and have them accessible via a nice front end would be great.

I hope some of the stereotypical behaviour in this thread didn't scare the original poster away...

What sort of things could potentially be done with the USB ports? Allow the use of USB controllers (with analogue sticks)? Print a screen dump to a printer ;) ? USB keyboard?
Controllers and keyboard, definitely (but they wouldn't be compatible with existing games). Printer, probably not (maybe pure text), and definitely not screenshots.Now we "just" need to find someone who is willing to handle a double headache: Jaguar coding and USB coding. :P Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 3

<p>

Controllers and keyboard, definitely (but not compatible with existing games). Printer, probably not (maybe pure text), and definitely not screenshots.Now we "just" need to find someone who is willing to handle a double headache: Jaguar coding and USB coding. :P

</p>

One of the most obvious (and frankly, cool) uses for the usb ports has already been mentioned, and nobody noticed it.

The USB controller is very well documented by its manufacturer. Go here for example code, including USB flash drive control:

I.e. You can have your Everdrive just by sticking all your ROMS on a USB memory stick, plugging it into the skunkboard... and then writing a suitable driver program to read the USB stick and copy a game ROM into the internal flash of the skunk.

Without wanting to get giddy or sound stupid / childish (I've been 'around' the Jag 'scene' for 18 odd years, so I'm not a kid), this sounds potentially awesome.

Why hasn't this been 'done' by any of the coders out there? Has it been attempted? I do some 'coding' for my job, but it's such high level stuff (ie. I really suck at low level, old school style programming...haven't done it in 20 odd years) that I wouldn't, and probably couldn't, even think about attempting it. I assume the USB programming side of things isn't necessarily easy either?

Damn, another potential reason why I'm pissed at myself for not jumping on one of those Ghost SBs. This could potentially be really convenient. And no, getting in before the obvious suggestion is even hinted, I'm not a ROM stealing thief...I've spent many thousands on my Jag collection (and video game collection in general).

Why hasn't this been 'done' by any of the coders out there?
- There aren't many Jaguar developers, there aren't many USB developers, there are even fewer developers who are familiar with both

- Coding a USB stack is a pain

- Coding a USB stack on the Jaguar is a major pain

- The few ones who would have adequate skills, patience and motivation are probably already busy with other projects :P

• Like 2