IGNORED

Any flash cart interest

gameofyou

Researched on Skunkboard, but it seems that he is specifically for development i'm right?

No, that's just the way it's been marketed basically. There are literally 100s of skunkboards out there, but it's likely only a tiny fraction are used by devs, the rest are used to play homebrews/betas/ROMs etc. or on the shelves of proud collectors.

No, that's just the way it's been marketed basically. There are literally 100s of skunkboards out there, but it's likely only a tiny fraction are used by devs, the rest are used to play homebrews/betas/ROMs etc. or on the shelves of proud collectors.

Then you can use the Skunkboard to run commercial games?

Of course. Some won't work, a couple are locked out and you will not be able to save your game, but you can run many games on one to take a look, as well as any protos/betas you can find, homebrews, demos and even patched ROMs (but the only one I know if is CJ's steering patch for Checkered Flag). But as others have pointed out in this thread, the skunk isn't as versatile as some of the out-and-out warez carts for other systems.

Edited by sh3-rg

patched ROMs (but the only one I know if is CJ's steering patch for Checkered Flag).

Actually I've patched Tempest 2000 to enable rotary mode without having to enable it via the 2 joypads combo thinghy, but I doubt anyone would find that too useful, so I kept it for myself :)

• Like 2

Y'know, Yak said to me that he's sure he implemented an auto-detect, but I've tried to get the cart to detect one, and I've looked all over the T2k source code archive that was released, and I can find no evidence of and kind of auto-detection, nor any support for the weird rotary controller described in the tech-ref manual.

Officially, Skunkboard is a developement cart, there is no support for running commercial games, but it may work. That means that many of commercial games qhould work but if one does not, skunkboard promotors won't help you to make it run... but they are allways helpfull if you have some problems with a in-dev game.

Basically, running commercial games is a side-effect of the skunkboard, it sometimes (or to be more precise, nearly each time) works but it was not the primarily commercial behaviour of the cart.

Bypassing the "run prevention" code in the Skunkboard for the two games that it keeps from running (BS & BSG) is fairly trivial. The punch line is that even once you flash BSG into your Skunkboard using such a bypass method

Someone always has to show superiority by nitpicking semantics. What you call two games I call two revisions of one game. ;)

it still won't work--so all the effort that went into the "run prevention" was all for naught. :P

You have zero idea of the amount of effort that was involved, so, that's really just a trolling statement. It was worth the effort to me, and I'm the one who did it.

I'd love to be able to replace the Skunkboard BIOS with something else, however, it seems that I'll never get that chance because of stupid politics. :(

Do you have something else to replace it with?

• Like 1

You have zero idea of the amount of effort that was involved, so, that's really just a trolling statement.

Not quite true. Disassembling the BIOS is trivial (especially for the author of an emulator, I think) - and this results in knowing exactly how much effort was put into it ;)

• Like 1

You have zero idea of the amount of effort that was involved, so, that's really just a trolling statement.

Not quite true. Disassembling the BIOS is trivial (especially for the author of an emulator, I think) - and this results in knowing exactly how much effort was put into it ;)

No, it results in knowing exactly how much code was put into the final release. How many revisions were there before that approach was settled on? How much negotiation was needed to get it down to ONLY that restriction? How long did it all take? How does a disassembly tell you how much EFFORT was needed?

You are very fond of calling me out, CyranoJ, but I'm not exactly sure what your beef with me is.

I don't have any 'beef' with you. I've been using a Skunkboard for years and love it.

Considering the restriction check is a simple checksum, I'm going to go on a limb and say 'minimal effort to shut the grumbling thunder***t up' was put in, and that's about all.

You seem very touchy on certain subjects ;)

• Like 2

You seem very touchy on certain subjects ;)

I am. I've dealt with a lot of grief on certain subjects. ;)

But just because you like the Skunkboard doesn't really say anything about the interaction you and I share. Perhaps we are just contrary in different ways and when we overlap, it creates a funky interference pattern. ;)

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 6

The whole scene has dealt with a lot of grief on certain subjects and I'm sure you've felt it far more than most. You have my respect for what it's worth, and most likely the respect of the whole scene, although I can't speak for anyone but myself, naturally.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Tursi,

I love having a Skunkboard as it is the #1 reason that got me interested in and now enjoying a system that I probably wouldnt have bothered with otherwise. Although I would it would be great to have a SD card version of some sort, until someone comes up with and actually sells something better I have no reason to complain and am just happy the Skunkboard exists. imho :)

Edited by coyo5050

Throwing in a few cents here...

Personally, I'd like to see someone like Songbird, who continually supplies items, to offer a flash cart, becuase he continues to renew stocks. I've bought and sold just about everything Songbird offers at one time or another when I need to make quick cash for an emergency, and then when I am better off, I buy the products from him again.

Gunstar, this is a totally different sort of item than a game. Unlike that, you have to buy chips, a motherboard to stick them on, and have some sort of professional assembly of that board. I couldn't easily bolt together a Skunkboard. I, and many others, can make a single Jaguar cartridge at a time, and because the motherboards have already been made in massive quantities and the chips are easy to get, it's far easier to replace them and move on than it is to do so with a custom project.

If I could have made these in batches of 10 at a time, I'd still be making them today (well, with Tursi and Kskunk's approval, of course). But for what type of product that this is, that simply isn't possible. For any cart like this to work like that, it would take some additional pre-planning. Not that it couldn't be done - just that it isn't as easy as saying, "Let's make more!" and more show up.

Officially, Skunkboard is a developement cart, there is no support for running commercial games, but it may work. That means that many of commercial games qhould work but if one does not, skunkboard promotors won't help you to make it run... but they are allways helpfull if you have some problems with a in-dev game.

Basically, running commercial games is a side-effect of the skunkboard, it sometimes (or to be more precise, nearly each time) works but it was not the primarily commercial behaviour of the cart.

That is exactly right. The entire Rev 3 run wouldn't have been made if it wasn't for the fact that it is a development cartridge first, and that's all that I care to support. If someone wants to make a warez cart or whatever, go for it! I just won't personally support that.

As for if there is a market, there are more than 250 Skunkboards out there, and if there is enough of a market for something like this I think all comes down to price. Skunkboards are *not* cheap to make, and even if the parts didn't go obsolete, considering how long it took for our last batch to sell out I don't think that there would be a market to make another 100 and even break even. If the new product is different, maybe there would be a different result. But I find it funny how many people have written us to ask about when we are getting it back in stock when it took us well over a year to sell out the last batch. There was ample time to get one...

Again, if the new product has new features, it might be totally different... and it might flood the market with Skunkboards. We are planning on releasing the final ones soon, by the way - I still have a few handfuls... MAILING LIST if you want one.

• Like 1

But I find it funny how many people have written us to ask about when we are getting it back in stock when it took us well over a year to sell out the last batch. There was ample time to get one...

My timing was rubbish. I first checked when 3s weren't available. Then I kept forgetting. Then I went to buy and they were gone...doh! My fault entirely.

I just need to remember which email address I used to sign up to the mailing list... :grin:

I'd buy a flash Everdrive-type cart if it wasn't too terribly expensive.

I always meant to buy a Skunkboard, but the last two years have been a blur (3 baby daughter born in that timeframe). Either money was short or gaming was off of my radar completely. Time flies...

• 2 months later...

I had a skunkboard, and sold it when I was out of work, though I sold it for approximately the release price (I don't recall release price or what I sold mine for, but it was about $75-85 I sold it for. I'm now in the market for another, or even an original Atari flash cart or anything, but I'm definately not going to pay more than $100 for one and I hope someone releases one of some kind for as cheap as possible, of course, but I'm hoping no more than the $50-75 range.

Actually I've patched Tempest 2000 to enable rotary mode without having to enable it via the 2 joypads combo thinghy, but I doubt anyone would find that too useful, so I kept it for myself :)

Especially since the two joypad thingy is only needed once, as long as you don't reset the memory of the cart, then the option to select rotary is always in the same menu it first appeared in.

Edited by Gunstar

Really? Jerks are price gouging for these things already?

... Dickheads.

The real culprits here are not the sellers but those who pay such insane amounts, more so those who only want to own one to place it on a shelf and never put it to the use it was intended for.

And, pssst! Maybe look who's sold or offered skunkboards for $250-$400 in recent months before you throw around insults, wouldn't want to go upsetting people

• Like 2