IGNORED

Last 3 games you played?

• 2 weeks later...

Kung-Fu Master (Atari 7800)

Kung-Fu Master (Atari 2600)

Kung Fu (NES)

Three different versions of the same game! I liked them all quite a bit, but I think the Atari 2600 version is still my favorite.

7800 version plays the same (doesn't even take advantage of the extra button, but nice in that you can still use a CX40) but with prettier graphics. Curious... is there something else about the 2600 version you like better? Pretty impressive port all things considered if you ask me.

7800 version plays the same (doesn't even take advantage of the extra button, but nice in that you can still use a CX40) but with prettier graphics. Curious... is there something else about the 2600 version you like better? Pretty impressive port all things considered if you ask me.

I think it really just comes down to the "Wow!" factor of seeing a game like Kung-Fu Master running on the 2600. The bright vibrant colors of the graphics, the big detailed sprites, and even the music are all outstanding for an original production Atari 2600 game. While the 7800 version is graphically superior to the 2600 game, it's just not as impressive for the hardware that it was made for. The 7800 was capable of a lot more, as evidenced by games like Ballblazer and Alien Brigade, so Kung-Fu Master isn't exactly pushing the 7800's capabilities (especially given that they could have implemented the second button but didn't). The Atari 2600 port on the other hand may not look quite as good as the 7800 or NES versions, but what it does do is really push the 2600 hardware to it's limit in a way rarely seen. Not to mention that it's arguably the best side scrolling beat 'em up on the system.

So I guess for me it really comes down to what the system hardware can do, and the 2600 version of Kung-Fu Master definitely impresses in that regard. And there may be a little bit of nostalgia involved as well, since I did play the 2600 version for years (and quite often I might add) before I ever discovered the NES or 7800 ports. :)

And oh, to keep the post on topic...

Off The Wall (Atari 2600)

Super Pac-Man (Arcade)

Super Pac-Man (Atari 7800)

Edited by Jin