IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

Goodness, imagine if it were possible to compile a version of RC to run on one of the modern gfx  cards, with their various compute cores. They could probably tear through the workload. (Dunno anything technical about it, really, just guessing.)

Edited by AtariNerd
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AtariNerd said:

Goodness, imagine if it were possible to compile a version of RC to run on one of the modern gfx  cards, with their various compute cores. They could probably tear through the workload. (Dunno anything technical about it, really, just guessing.)

Hiya. Funnily enough already been considered and there was a plan but I think given a rather big project it hasn't as yet been undertaken. A very experienced coder had been said to potentially be starting on it (maybe) but that's as much as I know. I'd love to see it happen. :)

• Like 2

Not run any conversions for a while but had this going on in the background for a good few days (laptop in hibernation each time overnight). Never really intended for it to run so long.

It was an image I saw in this thread for the Ham converter program and I quite liked it, so thought I'd do a conversion of the source image:

https://atarionline.pl/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=7145&page=1#Item_0

Source image:

image.thumb.png.4490fad35eeca4f1e867a1fd62979e0f.png

My conversion of Evil Never dies:

14bill evals 274 norm dist

59 unique colours

Altira pallatte

Light dithering

20000 solutions

Mask used

Filename: EvilNeverDiesbyFadeOneSM1_07_fixed.xex

320*240 image  - Some HPOS errors fixed and centrered with Sheddy's tools

(image grab from Altirra with pal high artifacting enabled)

image.thumb.jpeg.436c10ddd84b6797f2e95762114481eb.jpeg

Beeblebrox_EvilNeverDiesbyFadeOneSM1_10_fixed.xex

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 10

9 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Not run any conversions for a while but had this going on in the background for a good few days (laptop in hibernation each time overnight). Never really intended for it to run so long.

It was an image I saw in this thread for the Ham converter program and I quite liked it, so thought I'd do a conversion of the source image:

https://atarionline.pl/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=7145&page=1#Item_0

Source image:

image.thumb.png.4490fad35eeca4f1e867a1fd62979e0f.png

My conversion of Evil Never dies:

14bill evals 274 norm dist

59 unique colours

Altira pallatte

Light dithering

20000 solutions

Mask used

Filename: EvilNeverDiesbyFadeOneSM1_07_fixed.xex

320*240 image  - Some HPOS errors fixed and centrered with Sheddy's tools

(image grab from Altirra with pal high artifacting enabled)

image.thumb.jpeg.436c10ddd84b6797f2e95762114481eb.jpeg

Beeblebrox_EvilNeverDiesbyFadeOneSM1_10_fixed.xex 21.09 kB · 1 download

Very very nice  the conversion is awesome !!!

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Atari8man2004 said:

Very very nice  the conversion is awesome !!!

thanks. Your massive run of conversions are very impressive also. Keep em coming.

Can you do me a fav and post an pic of my conversion above displayed on your CRT on a real A8? I don't have my crt hooked up at present. thanks

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

Creepy clown preview lol,  The clown has been in the oven for weeks I realy hope I can get him ready for Halloween.  I'm impressed with the picture quality raster-converter produces.  In the 80's BYTE magazine would publish pictures of raytraces that took supercomputer days for a finish image, the Atari with it limited screen resolution of 320x240 can produces near photographic quality !   I have a few raytraces that should be ready tomorrow.  

Creepy Clown preview.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Atari8man2004 said:

My pleasure.

20231024_195350.jpg

20231024_195459.jpg

How are you getting pics off of a CRT with no glare, or "rolling" artifacts?  I know a HUGE problem for me, is I live in USA but run PAL equipment.  So I have a 50Hz CRT in a room with 60Hz lighting, and a 60FPS camera.

47 minutes ago, Stephen said:

How are you getting pics off of a CRT with no glare, or "rolling" artifacts?  I know a HUGE problem for me, is I live in USA but run PAL equipment.  So I have a 50Hz CRT in a room with 60Hz lighting, and a 60FPS camera.

20220820_165912.thumb.jpg.07415f6a867ecd9c9826a5a1b683f177.jpg

Obviously not from this software or even Atari but I don't have problems taking photos of CRTs... but all my CRTs are NTSC (or 60hz if a computer monitor) and I get no rolling at all just taking pics of video from my phone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

All of my Atari's are NTSC but I swap the Antics for the pal version my monitor is the Commodore 1084 there great for both NTSC and Pal I took the pictures with a cheap android phone.  My Dell LCD monitor that has a 4:3 ration can't handel Pal so I use a cheap converter I got off ebay for around $20.   A lot of CRT monitors have a hard time with a pal signal.   I'm also in the USA "Florida"  :)

Edited by Atari8man2004

1 hour ago, Atari8man2004 said:

Great image. Just a suggestion but you could eliminate the red/grey to the left from the source image in an editor to make it black and also use a mask around, well, Tut's mask!! ;) Then run it again. Also of you didn't mind losing part of the pic you can flip the source image horizontally and centre it more. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Great image. Just a suggestion but you could eliminate the red/grey to the left from the source image in an editor to make it black and also use a mask around, well, Tut's mask!! ;) Then run it again. Also of you didn't mind losing part of the pic you can flip the source image horizontally and centre it more. 

Very cool,  I'll dig into it tomorrow thanks!

29 minutes ago, Atari8man2004 said:

Very cool,  I'll dig into it tomorrow thanks!

Cool. Not that I am an expert but generally you have more spare in a portrait pic in the direction the subject is looking towards.. And/Or if looking straight ahead, like I my conversion a couple of months ago, slightly more centred. 

Edit: actually would be cool to see my girl pic on CRT. (sorry, I am so demanding heh heh!

I must hook up my CRT again). 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

Rolling is usually when you try to get a video.  In still pic cases unwanted artifacts can be due to camera settings.

With phone cameras generally a lot of it is automated, so if you take a CRT pic where it's in a not well lit room it will often use a longer exposure which should give an even picture.

For video of a CRT it can be made worse since you get shutter roll from the camera combined with the CRT pixels losing brightness after being scanned.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 4:17 AM, AtariNerd said:

Somebody "just" needs to rewrite the CPU intensive bits and Google colab can run it for free ;) I use colab to train and run spleeter.

Edited by ivop

7 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Considering most of the color changes are on the left (where ANTIC steals cycles for memory refresh), this is indeed a clear candidate for mirroring the image and have the color changes at the right of the screen where more CPU time is available.

• Like 1