IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

6 hours ago, Atari8man2004 said:

Roman Centurion and Commodus AD 177-192. AR Denarius Nike a days wages. 

Atari8man_Roman centurion.png

Atari8man_Denarius.png

Atari8man_Roman centurion.xex 21.99 kB · 3 downloads Atari8man_Denarius.xex 22.16 kB · 3 downloads

Centurion is great. Fantastic use of shade/dark negative spaces.

Damn we have to start getting more static RC images into A8 interactive adventure games. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Atari8man2004 said:

Thanks for the kind words I'm having a blast with the raster converter and the users on this forum helped me so much get the most from this awesome program. Thanks again.

Incredibly addictive isn't it? :) Seeing the A8 display these amazing RC images over the years is fantastic. Again, more RC images need to make it into games, (international karate recently had showed with cleaver timing it can make it into some games to great effect).

Interactive adventure games would be best suited for these. :)

Keep em coming and if you haven't already, have a play around with masks. 

3 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Incredibly addictive isn't it? :) Seeing the A8 display these amazing RC images over the years is fantastic. Again, more RC images need to make it into games, (international karate recently had showed with cleaver timing it can make it into some games to great effect).

Interactive adventure games would be best suited for these. :)

Keep em coming and if you haven't already, have a play around with masks. 

I haven't used masks yet but I fully understand how they work. Addictive is an under statement :)  I'm converting 8 at a time and I have some real nice ones in the oven and shoud be ready in a day or so.  I'm  impressed with the level of realism the A8 can produce considering it's 40+ year age. It would be truely awesome to used these images for title screen on games and other things.  I saw how it took international karate to a whole new level.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Atari8man2004 said:

I haven't used masks yet but I fully understand how they work. Addictive is an under statement :)  I'm converting 8 at a time and I have some real nice ones in the oven and shoud be ready in a day or so.  I'm  impressed with the level of realism the A8 can produce considering it's 40+ year age. It would be truely awesome to used these images for title screen on games and other things.  I saw how it took international karate to a whole new level.

I agree. Masks brought my conversions to a whole new level. Just wait till you start creating sideshows using Sheddy's RC slideshow tools also. I've created quite a few themed ones including those based around Skyrim and Bladerunner. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atari8man2004 said:

Awesome Raytrace this one took almost no time.

rt1.PNG

Atari8man_Raytrace_1.png

Atari8man_Raytrace_1.xex 22.25 kB · 1 download

Wow - you are really doing some fantastic work!  I only wish I could get a decent pic from my CRT but it's PAL, and a 60Hz phone doesn't like a 50Hz CRT.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Wow - you are really doing some fantastic work!  I only wish I could get a decent pic from my CRT but it's PAL, and a 60Hz phone doesn't like a 50Hz CRT.

Thank You,  All my 8bits I swap the Antic NTSC for the Pal version so I can run almost all pal software. Do you have a CRT on your 8bit?  Raster converted pictures look so much better on a CRT.  

9 hours ago, Atari8man2004 said:

Awesome Raytrace this one took almost no time.

This demonstrates neatly how much of getting great-looking conversions is about the choice and/or pre-processing of the original image.

This image could almost (but not quite) be done just with display list interrupts and standard 4-colour playfield graphics, without any use of player/missile graphics and requires no in-display-line on-the-fly- register changes- which is why it resolved to a high accuracy in only 28 million iterations.  Great choice!

Edited by drpeter
  • Like 3

Santorini

both 45 colours

This was an interesting experiment. I started the left picture running, then thought- hang-on, I should probably have mirror-imaged this one. I left the first conversion running, then started a mirror-image one.

To be fair, although Rasta thought after 4 million iterations each the mirrored image (on the right) was algorithmically the better conversion (Norm. Dist. of 2.8 vs 3.4) visually I think both are of equal quality.

output.png    output.png

drpeter_Santorini.xex drpeter_Santorini_R.xex

Edited by drpeter
  • Like 8

9 hours ago, Atari8man2004 said:

Thank You,  All my 8bits I swap the Antic NTSC for the Pal version so I can run almost all pal software. Do you have a CRT on your 8bit?  Raster converted pictures look so much better on a CRT.  

Yeah - I have several Sony PVMs ranging from 8" to 20".  My main setup runs a VBXE to a 600 line 20" PVM via RGB.  Incredible image quality!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drpeter said:

This image could almost (but not quite) be done just with display list interrupts and standard 4-colour playfield graphics, without any use of player/missile graphics

As an interesting proof-of-concept, this is Rasta rendering one version of the same image with no use of player-missile graphics- so you could use PMGs to create an animated overlay, scrolling text, etc. etc. for a title screen or demo...

This works so well even without PMGs because at no point are there more than 6 (possibly 7 at most) colours on a single scanline.

19 colours

Original image:

RayTrace.png

Rasta at end of processing (improvement had stalled at this point, despite the very high number of solutions):

RayTrace_endofprocessing.png

The Rasta-converted image and xex:

output.png

drpeter_Sphere.xex

Edited by drpeter
  • Like 6