IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

It is starting to look like Green Acres is becoming the poster child for Rasta converter.

If any of you G2F edit freaks want to try editing any more of the pictures I've done in the past just PM me and I'll see if I can locate the Originals.

Edited by Gunstar

This image started having errors around 40-50 million evals. for me.

I cut the colors down quite a bit before processing. The input image only has 50 colors. The destination has 31, but the current output is evaluating to 38 -- which I find odd. Maybe people who use this regularly are aware of this behavior.

This image still has a few major problem/unprocessed areas; we'll see if it's able to do anything with them or not.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

I have another higher-colored version I was working on before I started the current one posted above.

It uses the built-in dithering (rather than from Photoshop, which is what I'm using on the other one) and is evaluating to 70 colors. I'll return to it after I finish the other one.

[Edit: I'll just throw it on the other (slower) PC here and let them run concurrently.]

post-6369-0-79029000-1508339693_thumb.png

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 5

I hate winter but I love your Winter Canopy.

I hate winter too. I lived in the north with winters that last half the year for about half my life. But I don't mind looking at winter pictures or visiting for a bit. But I will never live somewhere with full-on winters anymore. Where I am now, most winters are in the 40-50 degree range and if we do get snow and cold, it lasts about a week.

BTW here's a grayscale .act file. No more greens in your B/W images :)

Thanks, I'll make use of this, but with pictures like Winter Canopy we'd lose that wonderful blue bit of sky that adds just a splash of color to make it more interesting. ;) Luckily, there are only a couple green pixels in it that aren't even noticeable unless you really look.

BTW, what is the newest version of RastaConverter? The version I'm using says it was last modified 5/19/2013. I want to be sure I'm not using an outdated version.

The one I use is 0.0.2.1 dated 2013. I did download another file from this thread not too long ago, and I thought it might be a more recent version, I never found out though, as it screwed everything up and I had to do a system restore on my PC and then re-install the version I have now to get things working again!

Edited by Gunstar

Question: why is pink the sort of go-to color for rastconverter? It seems to appear most often when I am expecting tan/biege tones.

Yep, I get pinks all the time instead of tan/beige/yellows. Sometimes you can lose them with some color adjustment. But I don't always dislike them. I like it in my version of Green Acres on the clouds

OK dither Emkay's has what I said that is the clouds darker gray less one luminance so they all decreases step by ster one luminance value but then KO in the grass.

Yes, maybe the only solution would be somehow the possibility to divide the picture and have top, the clouds, using Emkay's dither and bottom Gunstar's method for the grass.

Ask and you shall receive.

I used gimp to mask out the details I didn't want of each picture creating two layers for a single composite image.

post-9154-0-97528500-1508354087.pngpost-9154-0-67459400-1508354182.png

Emkay's sky Gunstar's terrain plus trees

post-9154-0-90499700-1508354381.png

Composite Image

post-9154-0-01081700-1508354716.png

Rastaconverter's output picture (preliminary)

Command line - rastaconverter green_acres_composite.png /pal=Palettes/laoo.act /distance

=yuv /predistance=yuv /init=smart /filter=catmullrom /save=500000 /s=1 /threads=4 /dither=none

Notes:

I used "/s=1" command line switch (heuristic hill climb method?) to get really fast results. The conversion isn't complete and may have stalled (at about 25 million evaluations).

I took the liberty of doing similar pixel edits again (of the new input picture). I pruned the sky dithering a little further this time (and better?). I also did some editing on the left side. I removed some of the blue pixels in clouds and changed others to dark gray pixels. This work needs someone with a more artistic touch than I possess.

It's not a critical issue where the light areas overlap. However, where they are overlapped the two visible areas are blended together. (I've used that technique, badly, in one of my conversions, Eilean Donan castle).

The layers were combined in gimp's layer tool by selecting 'lighten only' for each layer. I tried to be careful to not overlap the black masks. An overlap would (and did) show up in the composite image. I did a little pixel editing.

p.s. I'm probably not going to continue with this conversion. MrFish's WIP looks superior.

green_acres_composite_test1.xex

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 4

Thanks, I'll make use of this, but with pictures like Winter Canopy we'd lose that wonderful blue bit of sky that adds just a splash of color to make it more interesting. ;) Luckily, there are only a couple green pixels in it that aren't even noticeable unless you really look.

It's also possible to create all sorts of other custom palettes. For example with all pinks and purples blacked out, or grayscale with blue, or only greens and yellows, etc...

This is going depend on both the target palette and distance mode.used in the conversion and then, of course, which palette your emulator is using.

I agree that palette and distance are a factor but I don't think emulators are. The pinks are showing up in rastaconverter's output.png file.

Hmm, the whole custom palette idea only works within the converter. The resulting .xex file produces garbage because zeroed palette entries do not map to black on a real atari, which, in hindsight, makes sense. But perhaps the converter can be altered to ignore parts of the palette.

Edit: this also means that the grayscale palette I posted earlier does not work!

Edited by ivop

I don't think emulators are

Certainly if you do not use the targeted palette in the emulator then you won't see the same thing as shown below.

So targeting laoo.act, for example, isn't a selectable palette in Altirra's presets (can you load it anywhere?) but could be loaded in A800Win(PLus).

CmdLine: /i=pandora_01.gif /s=6000 /distance=ciede /predistance=ciede /pal=olivierp /init=less

output.png

post-1822-0-10971500-1508366950.png

Using some of the presets in Altirra gives:

OlivierP palette

(slightly lighter than output.png)

post-1822-0-38031700-1508367387.png

Default PAL palette

(lighter green/brown/pink but purple creeping into mid-blue)

post-1822-0-86591500-1508367386.png

As a 'stark' contrast, viewing in any NTSC mode is not something one would do when converting using a PAL palette and vice-versa

Default (NTSC XL) palette

post-1822-0-41500900-1508367385.png

Authentic NTSC palette

post-1822-0-37630200-1508367386.png

[Edit] Binary:
Edited by Wrathchild
  • Like 3