IGNORED

Jaguar HSC Revamped, Season 4, ROUND 1

Austin

Jaguar HSC Revamped, SEASON 4, ROUND 1

(Round Over)

checkeredflagtopper.png

RULES AND DIRECTIONS:

Pick the Deep Wood track. Select time of track to Days, set the weather to Dry (no rain). Select Practice mode, and set to whatever lap limit you want. Race until you get your best lap time (this is what will be tracked). Any car settings are up to the player.

If you are not familiar with the Jaguar HSC general rules and how the scoring system works, please visit this thread here: http://www.atariage....son-4-schedule/. It is recommended that you take a photo of your score, but it is not required. We go on good faith here, so please be honest.. :)

FINAL CHECKERED FLAG TRACK TIMES:

1. Gunstar - 25.3 (+9 pts)
  2. Twoquickcapri - 26.5 (+6 pts)
  3. Lentzquest - 27.1 (+3 pts)
  4. Jeremiahjt - 27.4 (+1 pt)
  5. Roadrunner - 28.7 (+1 pt)
  6. ydcl - 29.4 (+1 pt)
  7. sh3-rg - 31.4 (+1 pt)
  8. Samanthalt - 31.8 (+1 pt)
  9. Jblenke - 38.0 (+1 pt)
  10. Darrin9999 - 38.0 (+1 pt)
  11. ---
  12. ---
  13. etc

The Current Jaguar HSC Rankings:

1. Gunstar - 25.3 (9 pts)
  2. Twoquickcapri - 26.5 (6 pts)
  3. Lentzquest - 27.1 (3 pts)
  4. Jeremiahjt - 27.4 (1 pt)
  5. Roadrunner - 28.7 (1 pt)
  6. ydcl - 29.4 (1 pt)
  7. sh3-rg - 31.4 (1 pt)
  8. Samanthalt - 31.8 (1 pt)
  9. Jblenke - 38.0 (1 pt)
  10. Darrin9999 - 38.0 (1 pt)

Had to give it a go: 32.2

Can see how it's possible to do much better laps, but putting it all together in one good one.... didn't happen this play or the previous 60+ laps I did earlier on :lol:

Feeling a little masochistic, are we? :P

I remember having the same problem last I played this game in the HSC. You *know* you can get that near perfect lap, but hoping the stars align with the framerate and control problems makes it more of a gamble than anything.

• Like 1

Have to admit to some perverse/begrudged funs playing this. Never given it more than a few plays before. For me it's like there is something of a game in there, but while they got most of the ingredients right they messed up the weights and measures, added a few things they found in the cupboard, set the oven too low & pulled it out before it was ready :lol: Can't help feeling there would be a better game if only they hadn't aimed for something so "realistic", say if the cars were tiny on the tracks (leading to less collisions), the top speed was reduced, collisions resulted in bouncing off things rather than that tiresome crash animation and maybe a lot of the unnecessary objects at the side of the road were sacrificed for a boost in overall fps.

PS Since GGN reminded me of it, I flashed the steering patched version CJ made to my skunk, just to see how the game compared... actually found it more difficult to turn at high speed and couldn't get under 37s with it, it lacks that nice little wobble when you hold the d-pad down just long enough and let go. Not easy to describe what I mean, but I'm sure the devs thought their way of steering was better than a harsh all-or-nothing affair and I kind of agree ;-)

• Like 1

25:7

:-o :thumbsup: Wow, I really do suck at this game!

Its was my only clean lap. no crashes or off tracks.

25:7

I played this under virtualjaguar. Hope thats ok.

It's OK provided the framerate doesn't smooth out in VJ. Otherwise, it's fine.

The framerate was what I remember and the steering was still just as choppy. Iwas just testing out a different version of VJ. The rest of my runs will be on the real deal.

Edited by twoquickcapri
  • Like 1

well, I was going to give in and play this, but realized as I was going through my box of Jag games that I apparently don't own this anymore. I don't remember getting rid of it.. and I can't imagine anybody would ever want to borrow it.. maybe I accidentally threw it away ;-) who knows.. either way, i'm not going out of my way to find another copy.

Edited by Jagman
  • Like 2

instead, I busted out the Jag CD to make sure it still works (thankfully still does) and to get ready to possibly put it up for sale. Popped in World Tour Racing, and surprisingly , still had a lot of fun with it. Even with the very poor framerate, the game handles and controls well and doesn't have that insane frustrating factor of Checkered Flag.. The graphics are pretty nice too for the Jag with a good amount of textures and the music is pretty kick ass.

It's too bad we're not playing that one for JHC, but that's understandable since i'm sure not a lot of people have the game, let alone a Jag CD.

instead, I busted out the Jag CD to make sure it still works (thankfully still does) and to get ready to possibly put it up for sale. Popped in World Tour Racing, and surprisingly , still had a lot of fun with it. Even with the very poor framerate, the game handles and controls well and doesn't have that insane frustrating factor of Checkered Flag.. The graphics are pretty nice too for the Jag with a good amount of textures and the music is pretty kick ass.

It's too bad we're not playing that one for JHC, but that's understandable since i'm sure not a lot of people have the game, let alone a Jag CD.

If your Jag CD is complete, keep me in mind. I just got a bump on the 'ole PayPal credit line.. :lolblue:

World Tour Racing is one I've wanted to try for a long time. Still haven't had the opportunity to. The framerate looks better than CF in videos, and I keep hearing the controls are actually good.

CF in VJ

Thought I'd give it a go in VJ. Used SVN vrs 422 to run it on my aging Core 2 Q9550 2.83GHz desktop PC. Frame rate seemed quite impressive to me. As VJ isn't yet a cycle-accurate emulator, I think what we see with this game is something a lot smoother than the real hardware. On my first flying lap I got 24 seconds, a few laps later I got 23.7 after a few brushes of the sides and a medium sized whack into a wall. Then Half way through writing this I had to go back to it as I was having a lot of fun. Got 19.9 :lol: So I don't think the emulator offers a good enough representation of the Jaguar for this one :(

But that's not the point. If anyone really loves this game (apparently some people do!) and you've got a half decent Windows PC, grab yourself the latest svn build and give it a few laps. I think it crosses a line of playability and becomes a lot of fun :) You get a real sense of the grass slowing you down, you feel in control in the corners not just regarding steering but how much power you are putting down. It's also possible now to see and avoid obstacles. You're not constantly turning a little bit sooner than you think you need to or should be doing, it all feels much more natural.

Of course, some people will say that "if it's not the real hardware I'm not interested"... well, this is one of those times you lose out - VJ upgraded Checkered Flag to 2.0 ;-) Makes me wonder what another year of development with a few engine revisions and optimisations could have allowed. To me, it kind of hints at them having designed the game on another more powerful platform and then tried to port it to the Jaguar the best way they could in the time available.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 2

On real hardware.

28:6

post-19213-0-73874500-1342490551_thumb.jpg

:lol: So I don't think the emulator offers a good enough representation of the Jaguar for this one :(

I have to agree now that I've played on the real thing. On my computer (Athlon 64 x2 2.21ghz) the framerate pretty close but the steering dosen't over overreact like on the jag. VJ improves it enough to make it unfair.

Edited by twoquickcapri
  • Like 1

CF in VJ

Thought I'd give it a go in VJ. Used SVN vrs 422 to run it on my aging Core 2 Q9550 2.83GHz desktop PC. Frame rate seemed quite impressive to me. As VJ isn't yet a cycle-accurate emulator, I think what we see with this game is something a lot smoother than the real hardware. On my first flying lap I got 24 seconds, a few laps later I got 23.7 after a few brushes of the sides and a medium sized whack into a wall. Then Half way through writing this I had to go back to it as I was having a lot of fun. Got 19.9 :lol: So I don't think the emulator offers a good enough representation of the Jaguar for this one :(

But that's not the point. If anyone really loves this game (apparently some people do!) and you've got a half decent Windows PC, grab yourself the latest svn build and give it a few laps. I think it crosses a line of playability and becomes a lot of fun :) You get a real sense of the grass slowing you down, you feel in control in the corners not just regarding steering but how much power you are putting down. It's also possible now to see and avoid obstacles. You're not constantly turning a little bit sooner than you think you need to or should be doing, it all feels much more natural.

Of course, some people will say that "if it's not the real hardware I'm not interested"... well, this is one of those times you lose out - VJ upgraded Checkered Flag to 2.0 ;-) Makes me wonder what another year of development with a few engine revisions and optimisations could have allowed. To me, it kind of hints at them having designed the game on another more powerful platform and then tried to port it to the Jaguar the best way they could in the time available.

It seems to me that Rebellion was developing this game with the intention of optimizing the code after they got the game pretty much done, but then Atari saw it and said good enough, we need more games for Christmas and just threw it out there too soon. I seem to recall an interview with Rebellion were they mention they planned on doing some optimization and were shooting for 24fps.

• Like 1

Can we post scores and then post new ones if we do better as the HSC round goes on?

Well, to heck with it, I have the best time so far, so I'm posting. Sorry about the picture quality, I had to get a close up of my projection screen for the time, it was too blurry otherwise.

post-149-0-48056400-1342497556_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-47864600-1342497794_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Can we post scores and then post new ones if we do better as the HSC round goes on

Yeah, absolutely. This isn't a "one submission and that's it" sort of thing, so keep submitting your new times if you keep practicing, up until the deadling. :)

So I don't think the emulator offers a good enough representation of the Jaguar for this one :(

Thanks for taking the time to verify the differences. That is really cool. So much so, I am going to have to load up VJ and try it out there just to see how much it improves it. The game absolutely had potential, but as it was already stated, it was likely rushed.

On real hardware. 28:6

Interesting to see the difference--your score on real hardware is much higher than through emulation, and Sh3-rg's is much lower via emulation than on hardware. I will be using your 28.6 as your official submission, as it seems emulation definitely gives an advantage here. :)

Something else worth noting. Done some more "research" (OK, having fun!) into Checkered Flag in the emulator. I set Virtual Jaguar to NTSC and set the game up to the same as the HSC settings, with automatic gears. On a flying lap with accelerator held down all the way, no bumps or slowdowns on the grass, I could consistently get clean laps of 19.0 seconds. When I set the game up the same way but had VJ set to PAL, my laps were different - 22.8 seconds. 3.8 seconds difference - that's exactly 20% higher than the NTSC time. Since NTSC runs 20% quicker than PAL, I'd suggest people play this game at 60Hz on their Jaguars, or they are really handicapping themselves playing at 50Hz. The game doesn't seem to have a fix for lap times based on screen refresh rate.

• Like 1

My technique is longer and shorter taps (always reletively quickl/short) on the D-pad and proper use of the brakes and throttle full-on (at the same time). If I'm racing instead of going for top speed, I use cruise control once I reach a speed I can still handle and that's generally good enough to win in the end.

I still haven't tried the patched version by Reboot, I got the patch to make the rom image, but I sold my Skunkboard soon after getting it.

I bet this game would be a lot better on an over-clocked Jag.

by the way, my score is on a real Jag, 60Hz, standard clock rates.

I've never been able to enjoy manual shift on Checkered Flag or World Tour Racing becuase they insisted on making shifting up and down on the D-pad, which causes constant mis-shifts when attempting to steer left and right.

Edited by Gunstar