IGNORED

OUYA console already getting support from major publishers

There is a significant casual gaming market that won't ever connect a PC to the TV, and that will game on a cell, but really can't go party game, or two player game on that same cell. I am intrigued by that niche.

Many people don't have PC's anymore. I don't. Well, there is one really old crappy one that gets booted to do some arcane disk magic, but it really doesn't count here. I doubt it runs anywhere near a Ghz, and I really don't care to even check.

Laptops rule. They are cheap, displays are great, portable, and they are kind of all in one packages. I've a few of those, and many are hand me downs from work, or stuff I fixed when I had an opportunity. Gaming on those ranges from OK, if the laptop is really high end, to crap most of the time. After looking at the demo reels out there, this chip is a nice package. Great games are possible on it. If one needs greater, there is always that PC investment, or a console.

Personally, I hope it does attract indie / home brew developers. I will gladly entertain those and pay easily too. No brainer.

As far as the home computer angle goes, seems to me the device already is one. My new Droid phone has a very similar chip set, and it's pretty bad ass, though doing that drains the battery in about an hour. One can get a keyboard, mouse, and any number of programming type environments for Android now. Doing home computer stuff won't be a big deal for those who are interested.

They will provide an SDK with every unit, and don't care whether or not somebody roots it. I'm all over that. My next purchase will be one of those stripped down Android PC things for the same reasons. I can put the stuff I want to do / write on it and just cut the cord to PC land.

What I find notable is quite a few people have mentioned the project to me. They are wanting to buy and for various reasons. Will be interesting to see whether or not there is a strong sub-set in there that resonates outside early adopter types. On that note, having 50K early adopters isn't a bad thing.

Personally, I think Square should redo FF7. The thing can totally handle it.

Judging by what I am seeing specs-wise, it will definitely be more than capable of pulling off interesting games. However, pulling off the visuals they demonstrate in the promo video? I'm not believing it until I see it in person.

The FPS they show is Shadowgun, an existing game that runs on Tegra 2 and Tegra 3 chipsets.

Here's a more detailed video of the gameplay on Tegra 3...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmvJxbHWZSU

• Like 1

There is a significant casual gaming market that won't ever connect a PC to the TV, and that will game on a cell, but really can't go party game, or two player game on that same cell. I am intrigued by that niche.

Many people don't have PC's anymore. I don't. Well, there is one really old crappy one that gets booted to do some arcane disk magic, but it really doesn't count here. I doubt it runs anywhere near a Ghz, and I really don't care to even check.

Laptops rule. They are cheap, displays are great, portable, and they are kind of all in one packages. I've a few of those, and many are hand me downs from work, or stuff I fixed when I had an opportunity. Gaming on those ranges from OK, if the laptop is really high end, to crap most of the time. After looking at the demo reels out there, this chip is a nice package. Great games are possible on it. If one needs greater, there is always that PC investment, or a console.

ER, a laptop is a pc. Just with a different form factor. And I do a lot of gaming on mine either connected to a HDTV or not.

I think that most of the "higher end" games will the games available from OnLive. I too feel that the majority of games will be ported from mobile devices. Personally, I would rather get the new Vizio Google TV box for $99 instead. It runs a version of Android and OnLive is available on that too. A different but simular market.

Absolutely a laptop is a PC. The form factor impacts things. Getting higher end capability is expensive. They tend to be portable too, meaning there is setup involved in gaming or connecting to TV, etc...

They are thick too. And what I mean by thick is they require attention to setup, use, configure, etc...

A dedicated, lean, cheap, easy game device can just camp out, ready to go. It's not like I think this device is better than a PC, nor the current consoles. It's not. I believe it will attract some people who don't console game now, and it's a nice option for those who do because it's going to have different dynamics surrounding it.

We shall see though. I love being able to help boot strap new efforts like this. And I'll get a nice device I know I can use for things should the effort not prove viable longer term. Not a lot of $$$ either. Two new release titles + a little DLC gets a person in. Nice!

I just don't want to continue with modern gaming as things currently stand. Hoping for some different dynamics here.

I see some cynisism here regarding the Ouya and it's potential success (or lack thereof). A major argument here seems to be that anyone can put Android-esque stuff on their computer, and use the TV as a moniter. While this is true, I believe that the average consumer has no interest in doing it. For AAers like us, even those with little or no technical prowess (like me), a project like that is fun and rewarding. For the average person, however, it is daunting, tedious, intimidating, frustrating, and above all, a royal pain in the ass. I am psyched about Ouya and the easy availability of console ports and emulators on my TV without jumping through hoops.

Except that the average consumer is not going to buy a device like this either. If somebody who lacks any technical ability really wants to play games, they will either use their existing smartphone or buy a Wii if they don't already have one. They aren't going to buy something like this that requires an investment of $100 and broadband access to buy content. This really is a prime example of a product without a real demand in the market other than the 50K or so hobbyists and collectors who have pre-ordered and even if 10X that number buy one at launch, it's not enough to sustain even the smallest niche game developer.

My kid and her friends (age 10-12) all play with their tablets/laptops or ipods way the hell more than the Wii and the DS combined.

I spent hundreds of extra money on accessories, controllers for the Wii including the system itself which was originally $250 bucks.

If marketed properly and if kids don't mind playing in front of a big screen (which I prefer) this could be a really big thing.

Think muliplayer + big screen + cheaper games (not to mention a mandatory free to play requirement or at least demos)

It has the potential.

Edited by cimerians

If marketed properly and if kids don't mind playing in front of a big screen (which I prefer) this could be a really big thing.

Think muliplayer + big screen + cheaper games (not to mention a mandatory free to play requirement or at least demos)

It has the potential.

I've got to agree. With the right marketing, this OUYA could go nuts in sales.

Except that the average consumer is not going to buy a device like this either. If somebody who lacks any technical ability really wants to play games, they will either use their existing smartphone or buy a Wii if they don't already have one.

The average consumer isn't even going to realize that this runs on Android and will have similar game capacity/etc. Most won't even associate it with a smartphone. Heck, it won't even have a wiimote so they won't associate it with a Wii either. It'll just be a cheap console that can download free (and paid) content.

They aren't going to buy something like this that requires an investment of $100 and broadband access to buy content.

If they have a smartphone that can play games, they've already done this at least once. There's no reason to assume they wouldn't do it again.

• Like 1

My kid and her friends (age 10-12) all play with their tablets/laptops or ipods way the hell more than the Wii and the DS combined.

Don't you think they'll still prefer their tablets & ipods to yet another home console?

If they have a smartphone that can play games, they've already done this at least once. There's no reason to assume they wouldn't do it again.

If they have a smartphone that can play games, then they're already set...

Edited by Rex Dart

Don't you think they'll still prefer their tablets & ipods to yet another home console?

Yeah probably but if you can play multiplayer on a big screen its a huge draw for kids rather than on individual small ipods or DS's. Stick a joystick in there hands and let them play their favorite ipod or android game on a TV and I think they would prefer it. I would. :P

They have a ton of hurdles but they can also make it big if they do it right. Its definitely not taking over the big guns (Xbox720\PS4) but I can see it match wits with the Wii-U to some degree if successful.

If not oh well. For a hundred bucks I'm not losing sleep if this thing makes it or not but I'm pulling for it.

• Like 3

Except that the average consumer is not going to buy a device like this either. If somebody who lacks any technical ability really wants to play games, they will either use their existing smartphone or buy a Wii if they don't already have one.

The average consumer isn't even going to realize that this runs on Android and will have similar game capacity/etc. Most won't even associate it with a smartphone. Heck, it won't even have a wiimote so they won't associate it with a Wii either. It'll just be a cheap console that can download free (and paid) content.

They aren't going to buy something like this that requires an investment of $100 and broadband access to buy content.

Except for the average consumer, there won't be any free games. The stock unit has to be rooted to work with anything outside of what's in their version of the Android store. So, you have to convince consumers to spend $100 for the unit, they have to have broadband and they have to have a credit card or other means of buying downloads plus a willingness to do so. Is there a market for that? Sure, but the vast majority of that market already owns tablets and smart phones and I just can't see those same non-tinkering consumers flocking to this thing just like they haven't to the On-Live, despite the fact that for the last year, the console has essentially been free if you bought one full price game. It really is a product in search of a market and it's frankly too little too late.

Except for the average consumer, there won't be any free games. The stock unit has to be rooted to work with anything outside of what's in their version of the Android store. So, you have to convince consumers to spend $100 for the unit, they have to have broadband and they have to have a credit card or other means of buying downloads plus a willingness to do so. Is there a market for that?

You just summarized the smartphone game industry, which costs on average more than $100 for the "unit" and there's a very large market for it. There's no reason why it will instantly fail for the Ouya other than naysayers trying to kick it down much like they all tried kicking down the Wii prior to it being released and ending up #1.

Sure, but the vast majority of that market already owns tablets and smart phones and I just can't see those same non-tinkering consumers flocking to this thing just like they haven't to the On-Live, despite the fact that for the last year, the console has essentially been free if you bought one full price game. It really is a product in search of a market and it's frankly too little too late.

On-Live is supposedly very bandwidth intensive, which alone can stop a rather large portion of the population in North America from running out to get one, especially as those who do have a strong bandwidth are slowly but surely being it with caps that On-Live can quickly push people over... unless they don't do ANYTHING else with their internet connection during the month I suppose.

I just don't see the hate people have for the thing that they have to run into every thread about it to kick it down.

• Like 7

Some people just like to be naysayers. Easily ignored. If it doesn't go well, they will be there with the I told you so, and if it does, they will most likely continue nitpicking about how it just isn't X...

The rest of us are intrigued by the project. That's the beauty of Kickstarter. Stuff can happen on scales that were difficult before. Could be good times ahead, or it could just be a cool piece of Android hardware for hacking on too. Either is fine. I personally love upstarts, so I'm in eager to see how it all goes.

• Like 3

Final Fantasy and now PAC-MAN:

NAMCO:

"NAMCO BANDAI Games and OUYA are currently in active discussions to bring some of the world's biggest gaming properties to the exciting new open gaming platform. NAMCO BANDAI brings with it a rich history of iconic gaming franchises, from classics like PAC-MAN and GALAGA, to seminal franchises like TEKKEN and Ridge Racer, and we're excited to explore how we can work with OUYA to bring some great titles to the forthcoming console."

-- Carlson Choi, Vice President of Marketing, NAMCO BANDAI Games America, Inc.

..the average consumer.

Well, I know lots of average consumers walking around with rooted phones. Why did they do it?

Wanted their name on the start up screen.

"Needed" cool wallpaper.

Hates the carrier, removing their branding and bloat from the phone. (those will get an education though on updates, LOL!!)

Did it because their geek friend told them it was cool.

Wanted to tether on the freebie plan.

Saw some banned or indie APP, or wrote one that isn't in the official app store.

And on it goes.

I don't think a lot of people over 30 really grok how the younger people deal with their phones. Most likely scenario for this thing is the kid roots it for a freebie whatever, or somebody wants to hack on it.

Maybe most good games will cost something. That's fine. They should cost something. There will be free games that promote a person, or this or that, and there will be the usual ports of stuff too.

That just caused me to wonder if the thing is strong enough to play Quake 3 Arena. :) It's gotta be. Tell you right now, I would play the hell out of that. And I've got the WADS and MODS still.

No, I think many of us are just a little more savvy than falling for the initial hype and there is nothing wrong with openly debating a commercial venture of this type. People are acting like this is some amazing grass roots indie movement but really it's a group of venture capitalists using Kickstarter to finance something they already have financing to produce. There is nothing "open" or indie about this at all. If you want to release games on Ouya and actually receive payment for them, you are going to have to use their store and do the exact same revenue share Apple and Google already permit in their respective stores. You can already become a iOS developer or an Android developer and sell to millions upon millions of people around the world with little or no upfront investment other than a working PC.

Yes, the fact that this device can easily connect to a TV is an interesting angle, but every console already out there and most modern PCs can do the same exact thing and their technical capabilities are far in excess of this hardware. Similarly, for the product to be a financial success, the majority of users will have to pursue a traditional smartphone or console model of buying lots of content. If the majority of users root the device and only use it for free content, there is no way Ouya or indie developers will be able to stay in business. Unlike a smartphone, Ouya isn't going to get a wireless carrier subsidy that will offset any losses they experience selling this at just above cost. So, yes, I am very skeptical and I don't think there is anything wrong with being critical of a product that is seeking crowd financing and is really unproven in any way.

Some people just like to be naysayers. Easily ignored. If it doesn't go well, they will be there with the I told you so, and if it does, they will most likely continue nitpicking about how it just isn't X...

The rest of us are intrigued by the project. That's the beauty of Kickstarter. Stuff can happen on scales that were difficult before. Could be good times ahead, or it could just be a cool piece of Android hardware for hacking on too. Either is fine. I personally love upstarts, so I'm in eager to see how it all goes.

I would hope they are able to produce. Totally appropriate use of Kickstarter.

As for buying content, how exactly is that a bad thing? I would hope the majority DO buy stuff. That is, in fact, the point of it. Many are interested in the scope of things to buy, and there are people interested in producing too. I am not buying new console games at this point. It's all in a kind of rut. Not interested. Well, maybe one a year, or something, if that. I am buying smaller scope games that run on computers and phones though. Most of that is a kick for under $10, and it's low key, fun, few worries.

Rooting the device doesn't actually mean not buying content. It does mean doing stuff with it that people want to do with it. Important. Not so important that all the users actually go off and do that stuff, just that they can actually do that stuff, with one item of that "stuff" being development. That's the insurance as far as I am concerned. If it all goes poorly, then there is this nice Android device to do stuff with.

Re: Easily ignored.

Yep. It's just not a lot of money. I'm totally interested in reading what people think, good and bad. I'm ignoring those who are making gloom and doom predictions however. It's not productive at this stage. People are either in or out now, and it's exciting to see what happens from here. I am interested in reading any and all ideas that might see success. Frankly, that's one of the more interesting elements of the project to me. Cheers!

As for buying content, how exactly is that a bad thing? I would hope the majority DO buy stuff. That is, in fact, the point of it. Many are interested in the scope of things to buy, and there are people interested in producing too. I am not buying new console games at this point. It's all in a kind of rut. Not interested. Well, maybe one a year, or something, if that. I am buying smaller scope games that run on computers and phones though. Most of that is a kick for under $10, and it's low key, fun, few worries.

Rooting the device doesn't actually mean not buying content. It does mean doing stuff with it that people want to do with it. Important. Not so important that all the users actually go off and do that stuff, just that they can actually do that stuff, with one item of that "stuff" being development. That's the insurance as far as I am concerned. If it all goes poorly, then there is this nice Android device to do stuff with.

Yep. It's just not a lot of money. I'm totally interested in reading what people think, good and bad. I'm ignoring those who are making gloom and doom predictions however. It's not productive at this stage. People are either in or out now, and it's exciting to see what happens from here. I am interested in reading any and all ideas that might see success. Frankly, that's one of the more interesting elements of the project to me. Cheers!

I diagree. Kickstarter should be a tool for truly independent entrepreneurs to do things traditional financing or investment won't allow. Using Kickstarter as a means of taking pre-orders for a well financed commercial product is an abuse of the premise in my opinion.

If this was a team of well intentioned dreamers who really were trying to address the problems in modern console gaming, they would have my whole hearted support and wishes for success. Unfortunately, it's a group of well seasoned technology industry types and venture capitalists and all they are doing is creating one more platform based on an already very successful platform which uses the exact same business model as that existing platform. Frankly, I'm not sure how this can even be a viable business model since most of the people I am seeing posting here and elsewhere are wanting to immediately root the thing and use it for free applications, games and video. Ouya and indie developers aren't going to survive if a significant portion of the 55K pre-order customers take that approach, let alone any other customers that pick it up once it gets a more public launch. Heck, the vast majority of indie developers can't even survive in a more closed system like iTunes so what makes this beneficial to them?.

I diagree. Kickstarter should be a tool for truly independent entrepreneurs to do things traditional financing or investment won't allow. Using Kickstarter as a means of taking pre-orders for a well financed commercial product is an abuse of the premise in my opinion.

If this was a team of well intentioned dreamers who really were trying to address the problems in modern console gaming, they would have my whole hearted support and wishes for success. Unfortunately, it's a group of well seasoned technology industry types and venture capitalists and all they are doing is creating one more platform based on an already very successful platform which uses the exact same business model as that existing platform. Frankly, I'm not sure how this can even be a viable business model since most of the people I am seeing posting here and elsewhere are wanting to immediately root the thing and use it for free applications, games and video. Ouya and indie developers aren't going to survive if a significant portion of the 55K pre-order customers take that approach, let alone any other customers that pick it up once it gets a more public launch. Heck, the vast majority of indie developers can't even survive in a more closed system like iTunes so what makes this beneficial to them?.

God damn man.

Relax.