IGNORED

OUYA console already getting support from major publishers

I don't see the business model stuff solidified yet. I think you are more right than wrong right now, but I also don't think that's all been sorted out either.

Kickstarter is all about pre-orders. Doesn't matter whether or not the project founders are experienced or not. That is what Kickstarter IS. The SEC won't allow it to be a general purpose investment tool yet, though they will very soon, and because of that, it's pre-orders for products, whatever they may be, produced however those people interested in funding the making of them think they can get it done.

The beauty of it, of course, is we only pledge those projects we find interesting on a risk / reward basis.

Kickstarter SHOULD be a tool for funding products that people would like to buy, period. I think it's a great model for niche products and I expect it to see increasing use on that basis. When a few thousand people might want something, it's difficult to get it to them without a model like Kickstarter. Nothing but a net gain in my book, but for the projects that don't end up successful. There will be some, but that's just how things go. No sure things in this world.

The thing I like most about it is those projects nobody thought would be worth squat. Turns out people are interested in an amazing variety of things. I love that we've got a model now that makes more of them possible. Niche products are cool, and now we get more of them, again experienced or not. Doesn't matter.

I like this question:

"How does this benefit indie developers?"

We don't have the answers yet, just some predictions and the info they've released so far. I think part of the reason we don't have more info is the fact that they are working on that very question.

Of course you do realize the flip side of your statement right? If indie developers can already do things on iOS and Android, what's the worry? It's not like anyone is forced onto this thing right? Or... is this some fear that it might actually dilute those two markets? If so, I think that's a valid concern. However, it's also not something that any one of us can control either. As I mentioned up-thread, that discussion isn't productive right now.

And frankly, I don't care. If it's a mess, I've got some hardware to play with. If it's not, there will be some value added and or some dilution. The niche was open, and somebody wants to exploit it. That is just how it is.

• Like 1

If i recall correctly, the original concept of the xbox was meant to soldify the pc as a gaming platform and to a certain extent it has sort of worked in some areas even if the pc as a gaming platform isn't as well supported as the 360/ps3/wiiwii etc etc

Perhaps someone like Atari should invest in something along the lines of OUYA as a way and means of getting back into the hardware market (even if it is using a linux based o/s), better something along the lines of ouya then trotting out another hardware based emulator like flashback, after all you can only flog a dead horse so many times before people just get pigsick of hardware based emulators (considering that they have to compete with the free to download market where the free to download markets product is better quality (i.e the emulation of said system is more accurate or spot on)

Perhaps someone like Atari should invest in something along the lines of OUYA as a way and means of getting back into the hardware market (even if it is using a linux based o/s), better something along the lines of ouya then trotting out another hardware based emulator like flashback, after all you can only flog a dead horse so many times before people just get pigsick of hardware based emulators (considering that they have to compete with the free to download market where the free to download markets product is better quality (i.e the emulation of said system is more accurate or spot on)

Emotionally, I would love that. Realistically, I can't expect the current Atari to put in the effort, and I can't think of any other classic name I respect enough. Even in it's quasi-indie state, I think OUYA has the potential to be the best alternative system.

You can already buy much of what was on the Flashback on iTunes and other PC based download services. I imagine if Ouya is successful, Atari will simply license the same content for the Ouya store. Why would they need to release something like the Ouya if it's already going to exist and when it's much more expensive than a Flashback type device?

If i recall correctly, the original concept of the xbox was meant to soldify the pc as a gaming platform and to a certain extent it has sort of worked in some areas even if the pc as a gaming platform isn't as well supported as the 360/ps3/wiiwii etc etc

You can already buy much of what was on the Flashback on iTunes and other PC based download services. I imagine if Ouya is successful, Atari will simply license the same content for the Ouya store. Why would they need to release something like the Ouya if it's already going to exist and when it's much more expensive than a Flashback type device?

oops, when i was talking about the flashback, i was meaning that hardware based emulators having to compete with the likes of the free to download software based emulators...i.e pcae, stella, emu7800/prosystem or altirra/rainbow etc

Emotionally, I would love that. Realistically, I can't expect the current Atari to put in the effort, and I can't think of any other classic name I respect enough. Even in it's quasi-indie state, I think OUYA has the potential to be the best alternative system.

I've been seeing a lot of the 'Ouya isn't really indie' talk, and I'm just not sure that I follow. Gaming definitions of 'indie' may differ from my understanding, but in the more familiar, movie industry use of the term, it's a film made without the backing of a major studio. None of the big 5. Quasi-indie films would probably be those 'arthouse' studios set up under larger ones. It doesn't have to be made in a shed to be indie--though looking at the new Ouya website, I start to wonder if they've really got a shed to their name.

Right now, they don't need much, so they aren't publishing much. Frankly, I think they are just managing expectations at this point. Interest and general buzz is fairly high right now, and they've work to do before they have more concrete news. Rather than spend on a bunch of fluff, collecting signups and communicating the basic story that was successful deliver a much better bang for the buck.

Over time, they can take those e-mails and send out their updates to both backers and interested followers. What happens? Those people do a lot of smaller scale publishing, leaving OUYA lean and mean, able to spend it's $$$ on product development and launch activities as well as investments in business model type stuff. Much of that discussion is incomplete right now too.

Just think "lean", which is right where I would expect them to be. A common point of failure is over hyping and a secondary one is over promising on what can be delivered. This team gets that and are keeping it low key.

Because of how social dynamics work, a big spend on a web site doesn't make a whole lot of sense for something like this. All it really does is raise expectations and the burn rate. Collecting e-mails now, while the iron is hot, is pure gold. Those people asked to be informed, and they are alphas --very likely prospects in the future.

Here's something interesting:

Build the big flashy web site. What happens? The competition then has lots to talk about. They can poo-poo the thing, playing all sorts of games in an attempt to frame OUYA in ways that benefit them, not OUYA. Additionally, there is lots of traffic now, where only a small fraction of that traffic will actually be interested in a follow up communication or purchase.

What they did works very differently. There is still a lot of traffic, some percentage watch the video, some percentage sign up too, many move on. They just captured a lot of high value contacts with very little risk.

And on web conversions there are some interesting metrics too. Often people will visit a site to DO something, or if they don't, the designer of the site wants them to DO something. If there are a lot of distractions, fewer people will DO the desired thing. On the other hand, if there isn't much to do, those people who actually want to act, simply will for lack of reason to do otherwise. Smart.

I've been seeing a lot of the 'Ouya isn't really indie' talk, and I'm just not sure that I follow. Gaming definitions of 'indie' may differ from my understanding, but in the more familiar, movie industry use of the term, it's a film made without the backing of a major studio. None of the big 5. Quasi-indie films would probably be those 'arthouse' studios set up under larger ones. It doesn't have to be made in a shed to be indie--though looking at the new Ouya website, I start to wonder if they've really got a shed to their name.

Well, I think much of it stems from the fact that in an interview, one of the founders indicated they had been in talks with VC firms alongside the Kickstarter effort. The company quickly backed off the statement, but there has been some discussion on various VC and start-up boards that Ouya may have already had a pretty substantial amount of investor seed cash even long before the Kickstarter. These also aren't a bunch of dreamers who have never been down this road before, many of them have worked in gaming and technology for many years. I just think some people have concluded that this really isn't some tiny little start-up, but really a savvy VC backed company that is using the Kickstarter model to lock-in pre-orders and generate early revenue on something they already have the funding to produce.

Yes, Ouya is independent of the big three gaming companies, but I just don't see it as truly an "indie" business model as it is dependent on the same exact business model that is causing many small developers to struggle with Apple and Android. People want to project a lot of things good and bad on the company that none of us really have any way of knowing. As one PC Week columnist pointed out, this could be one giant scam just like several other hyped technology projects that were Kickstarted and never have appeared. It could also be exactly what it claims to be, an Andorid device that can be played on a TV using a controller. Personally, I think it could be a neat collection piece and maybe even a fun game unit, but I don't share the wide eyed optimism of many here that this is going to revolutionize the gaming industry or change the business model for games being created by start-up or smaller developers.

Edited by bojay1997
  • Like 1

I think a lot of the "indie" talk is in the context of the home console market, which is very much their target (how many times do they mention the TV in their Kickstarter video). Basically anyone can develop a game for the platform, without having to buy expensive development kits or pay expensive licensing fees. Sure, you can say the same thing about the PC, but we're talking about home consoles here, basically.

It'll be fun to see how it pans out. I'd say that the odds are against Ouya, but the fact is that I like the ideas behind it, the concept is interesting, it's something I do want to play around with and that the $100 price-point is affordable enough to make it an impulse purchase (especially if it can do Netflix and video-streaming duty via XBMC).

• 3 weeks later...

I found a listing of games that are being developed for OUYA, so I wanted to share that here. I know some folks think OUYA doesn't have support from developers but, from this list, that would appear to be an incorrect assumption.

CONFIRMED OUYA GAMES (confirmed by developer) (Game - Developer)

- 100 Rogues

- Archon Classic - React Games (see http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...ot-likely-quot)

- Aritana and the Chieftan’s Disease (Portuguese)

- Aura Tactics - Ingredient Blu

- AURO

- Beast Boxer Turbo - Goodhustle Studios- Bubblegum Pop - Lighty Kid

- Castle Conflict 2 - Broken Kings

- Evilot

- Final Fantasy III - Square Enix

- Gravestompers - Mad Menace Ent

- Grey: The Lost Technology - Team Aurora

- Gunblitz - Rapture Game Studios

- Hawken- Adhesive Games

- Human Element (Prequel / not yet named) - Robotoki

- Hunter - Unleashed Games

- Ittle Dew - Ludosity

- Invaders Pretty Sure From Outer Space - Round 2 - Freak Mind Games

- Kaiju Combat - Sunstone Games

- Kitaru - Aoineko Studios

- Legends of Aethereus - ThreeGates

- MANOS: The Hands of Fate - FreakZone Games

- Monster Truck Racing - Meltdown Interactive

- Offensive Combat (all new games in the series) - U4iA

- One Tap Hero - Coconut Island Studio

- Pixelverse

- Quest for Infamy - Infamous Quests

- Reincarnation: The Root of All Evil - B-GROUP Productions

- Rival Threads - Studio Kontrabida

- Saturday Morning RPG - Mighty Rabbit Studio

- Shadowrun Online

- Super Retro Squad - Exploding Rabbit

- Steam Bandits

- Tropical Treasures 2 Deluxe - Mobile Amusements

- Wings: Director's Cut - Cinemawear

- Yummy Circus - Puzzle

- Armored Tank Assault 2 - Ameon Entertainment

- Aura Tactics - Ingredient Blu

- Castle Conflict 2 - Broken Kings

- Gravestompers - Mad Menace Ent

- Ittle Dew - Ludosity

- Kaiju Combat - Sunstone Games

- MANOS: The Hands of Fate - FreakZone Games

- Quest for Infamy - Infamous Quests

- Reincarnation: The Root of All Evil - B-GROUP Productions

- Rival Threads - Studio Kontrabida

- Saturday Morning RPG - Mighty Rabbit Studio

CONFIRMED OUYA GAMES by OUYA Themselves

- Aqua Rhapsody: Ouya-Enhanced Edition

- Covet

- Echoes of Eternia

- Heroes Call

- Megatroid

- Mutant Mudds

- Rival Threads: Last Class Heroes

- Ski Safari

- Super Retro Squad

- Talbot’s Odyssey - Studio Miniboss- Triple Town - Spry Fox LLC - Shown on Kickstarter Video

CONFIRMED OUYA GAMES on Kickstarter

- Orbital Blaster- Project Giana

- Shadowrun Online

- Shapes

- Spinferno

- The Other Brothers

- Volgarr the Vikingg)

- World of Midgard - Veraxon Entertainment (Kickstarter still running)

RUMORED To be coming to OUYA (Game - Developer - Rumor Source)

- Canabalt - Semi Secret Software - Shown on Kickstarter Video

- Dead Trigger - MADFINGER Games - Shown on Kickstarter Video

- Fatal Theory - 2 Hit Studios

- Freedom Planet - GalaxyTrail

- Madden NFL 12 - EA Tiburon - Shown on Kickstarter Video

- Minecraft - Mojang - Rumored in the Kickstart FAQ (if demand is there for it)

- Racing Live - Storm8 Games - Shown on Kickstarter Video

- Samurai II Vengeance - MADFINGER Games - Shown on Kickstarter Video

- Shadowgun - MADFINGER Games - Shown on Kickstarter Video

• Like 2

Note: I've canceled Aqua Rhapsody: Ouya-Enhanced Edition so I can be part of a team that's developing a much more interesting project for the OUYA...

...wait, "confirmed by OUYA themselves". Did the company actually acknowledge my game?

Edited by Animan

• 1 month later...

Yep, and it looks like there won't be analog audio out...

They announced it will launch with Jelly Bean, which in theory means you can use a cheap usb audio device for analog output.

It is a shame about it not having an SD slot. With vanilla android you can't easily move/install apps to external drives the way you can with SD... but maybe they'll enable this in their launcher.

They announced it will launch with Jelly Bean, which in theory means you can use a cheap usb audio device for analog output.

It is a shame about it not having an SD slot. With vanilla android you can't easily move/install apps to external drives the way you can with SD... but maybe they'll enable this in their launcher.

No SD is a real shame,i can handle not having analog audio out due to my TV having analog out. (Headphone Jack). They should of had two USB ports so you didn't have to Daisy chain USB hubs just to use a few USB devices, having a onboard SD slot would have alleviate the need for a external USB storage device

Edited by madmax2069
  • Like 2

Yeah, agreed on the USB ports. I wish they would have thrown in a cheap IR sensor for XBMC too, but I guess the line has to be drawn somewhere... hoping that I'll be able to hack one in after the fact. Maybe they'll be kind enough to provide easy access to unused GPIOs on the circuit-board.

Just speculation, but the lack of SD might be due to the Ouya folks not wanting to pay the Microsoft patent fees for fat32 long-filenames. If that's right, they'll probably require that usb harddrives be formatted by the console, in ext3 or similar.