IGNORED

David Crane Jungle Adventure Kickstarter

desiv

After some more thought about this, I decided to go ahead and pledge for this project. Although I would prefer a 2600 game, there really isn't a profitable market for new games and it is a labor of love for the few who still release new ones. Back in the day the only programmer that I would actively seek out his games was David Crane. For me, he was the rock star I dreamed of being. His games were always polished and fun to play.

I still remember the letter I received from him (or more likely an assistant) after spending 6 hours getting to one million points in Laser Blast. Just thinking about that session makes my hand hurt and makes me want to run to the bathroom (after building up extra lives). This is still one of the hardest things I've done in gaming and one of the most rewarding. Modern technology probably makes this pretty easy with the ability to pause.

Anyway, I support whatever keeps the creativity flowing and am also ready to kickstart that super game for the 2600 he has sitting near him at work whenever he's ready to have some personal fun.

No, it means that people are judging it on it's own merits as a PC game.

Somehow the fact that this is pure David Crane juice is not being conveyed.

I'd only bite if the juice was overflowing. Something that would let me create like the master. Something like a kickstarter for a new Gary Kitchen's GameMaker

http://en.wikipedia....hen's_GameMaker

Edited by theloon
  • Like 1

I'd only bite if the juice was overflowing. Something that would let me create like the master. Something like a kickstarter for a new Gary Kitchen's GameMaker

http://en.wikipedia....hen's_GameMaker

I'd give money for a modern version of that without a second thought. Garry Kitchen's GameMaker was my favorite game making program.

It seems that the Kickstarter project is not resonating with gamers largely because they don't know what the game is, and are therefore not excited about seeing it made. So my team and I have been working on providing more detail on the game. (Probably will update on Saturday.)

This game will not be made if the Kickstarter goal is not met, and as you know it is not looking good. The strangest comments I have gotten are things like "I would back it, but it doesn't look like it is going to make it." That is a self-fulfilling prophecy. What is the risk to showing your support? If it doesn't make it your pre-purchase is refunded.

Many other classic gaming enthusiasts have said great things about the project and then become backers for $1 - wanting access but not helping to pay the costs of getting it made. I'm just saying there is a lot of strange thinking going around.

Anyway, check back in a couple of days and see if you like the direction the game design is going. If you like it, let's try to keep spreading the word. Again, the game won't get made unless the Kickstarter project reaches its goal, and a grass roots effort can still make it happen.

• Like 1

I'd say we should do a google search on "David Crane Jungle Adventure Kickstarter" and a gaming website we need to reach. If zero hits appear for that website then go in and spread the good word!

Update: I've already posted and link to one website. If each of use does at least one.. er, how many of us are there? oh! 27,975!

Edited by theloon

Okay Dave, I'm in :)

I'll level with you though I'm just not really a PC guy. I access internet mainly through my smart phone and work computer and although I play video games nearly every day any modern games I play are wii/xbox/etc..

I'll probably go one of the larger packages with patches/etc since as a collector these hold the highest value to me. Even if I don't really have a way to play PC games these can always sit nicely on my shelf :)

If you ever want to program a 2600 game again I can assure you the response here would be insane by the way :)

Thanks for taking time to talk with us, and as everyone else big fan of your work :)

• Like 1

Hmmm..I think maybe there just isn't enough time from the start based on the funds needed. Not enough of a "spread the word" BEFORE it was posted on Kickstarter.

Maybe if David had something up on Facebook or maybe some Tweets to blog gaming sites to let them know that a game would be coming through Kickstarter it would have helped. Billions seem to visit Kotaku and D'toid (Facebook is a bad example sorry).

Hard to tell but I think a "pre-pre" announcement might have helped. Even a playable demo or 1 level or something goofy like a mini game to promote it.

When I first looked at the 900K and the 30 day time stamp my first thought was that it wouldn't make it. Mainly because, from a gut feeling, it didn't seem like enough time to raise that kind of money. I didnt even know about the Kickstarter project until I saw it here at Atari Age...and I scope out the gaming community pretty heavily every day. I had no idea.

Some projects already have a following before they hit kickstarter. That helps too.

It seemed this was announced cold turkey, without much info......and time.

It troubles me to see it stuck at 25K or whatever it is currently, I would expect it to at least have reached 100K. :(

I definitely wish I can see this game come to life.

With the back end already pre-built (Unity3D) all the $900,000 could go to coding game content, music and art. That's a LOT of cash focused on actual game instead of engine. Think of what Derek Yu could've done with Spelunky if he had that money.

My personal sentiments lean towards Crazy Climbers opinion. This being AtariAge if the game were on an original Atari platform we would all go blitzkrieg bumblebee bonkers. No $1 donations here.

Edited by theloon

This game is toast. It hasn't even hit $10,000 yet. I don't think they really cared if it got funded or the video and text would have started off as more than "Hey David Crane is awesome so support this!"

Yea, and I've even seen where it's gotten picked up by some gaming news organizations, like GameBeat and some others. So for funding to be this anemic (though granted, it's early) doesn't bode well.

Developers need to realize that you need to have a compelling pitch to make these work!

Agreed. As time has gone on, I have gone from being very generous and willing to back almost anything that involves a developer or game I like on Kickstarter to really thinking about the details of what is being promised. In the past six months I think I have pledged over $2K on various Kickstarter gaming projects and all I really have to show for it is a bunch of update e-mails and a poster from one of them (Double Fine I think?). I am starting to get nervous as I see more and more updates indicating that release dates will be pushed back and the scope of the games will change, etc...In any event, I need more details and specifics to back anything now, regardless of how much I admire the developer or person behind the Kickstarter.

What does that mean? You've spent 2K on things that have no guarantee??? Am I missing something...

What does that mean? You've spent 2K on things that have no guarantee??? Am I missing something...

Somethings are worth supporting, even without a guarantee. I supported the Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter too, because I really believe in that project. If it falls through and I loose my money, I stand behind that decision nonetheless because it was a worthwhile 'cause' (as much as supporting a video game can be considered as such!).

But also, I think with backing these Kickstarters, it's almost as much about the team that you're backing as the project itself. The chances of Double Fine not delivering are, IMO, less than some unkown developer. Steve Jackson just had a great project for a board game....that one can probably be considered a safe bet as well. Guarantee? No, but really what is? (of course, David Crane would fall into this category!!! :) ).

I think I understand what you're getting at though Proto....assuming that this $2K is spread out over a lot of projects, a good chuck of it can be with teams with no proven track record (I'm just guessing here). That's a definite risk. But if I were bojay I wouldn't worry quite yet....delays happen all the time in game development. Why should game development funded via Kickstarter be any different?

Somethings are worth supporting, even without a guarantee. I supported the Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter too, because I really believe in that project. If it falls through and I loose my money, I stand behind that decision nonetheless because it was a worthwhile 'cause' (as much as supporting a video game can be considered as such!).

But also, I think with backing these Kickstarters, it's almost as much about the team that you're backing as the project itself. The chances of Double Fine not delivering are, IMO, less than some unkown developer. Steve Jackson just had a great project for a board game....that one can probably be considered a safe bet as well. Guarantee? No, but really what is? (of course, David Crane would fall into this category!!! :) ).

I think I understand what you're getting at though Proto....assuming that this $2K is spread out over a lot of projects, a good chuck of it can be with teams with no proven track record (I'm just guessing here). That's a definite risk. But if I were bojay I wouldn't worry quite yet....delays happen all the time in game development. Why should game development funded via Kickstarter be any different?

A Revolution perhaps... supporting a company that is 'talking about making something' - I disgree entirely... sounds like the perfect scam to me. Are you telling me that these Kickstarter projects, these donations that y'all are making... they're non refundable :? If so, then I do not agree in the slightest with, "give me your money, I might make something for you with said money, if I don't you're sol, have a care"

If I'm missing something, pardon my ignorance...

• Like 1

A Revolution perhaps... supporting a company that is 'talking about making something' - I disgree entirely... sounds like the perfect scam to me. Are you telling me that these Kickstarter projects, these donations that y'all are making... they're non refundable :? If so, then I do not agree in the slightest with, "give me your money, I might make something for you with said money, if I don't you're sol, have a care"

With Kickstarter, you don't actually pay anything if the project you're backing doesn't meet its fundraising target in time. If the project is fully funded, it becomes like any other investment. Investors and venture capitalists don't throw money at anybody who walks in with a crazy idea; they decide based on the pedigree of the people involved, how well the proposal is presented and structured, how well the project has been managed to date, etc. The same considerations apply to Kickstarter projects.

Those who never take chances on anything unless they have a guarantee that they can always get all their money back would make poor investors. So would those who can't tell the difference between a serious project proposal and an unserious one.

• Like 2

Congratulations!

You are now an official backer of David Crane's Jungle Adventure. Time to tell the world about it!

Okay, I went ahead with the $250 package myself. I know, a little steep but you get a ton of cool collectables (T-shirt, autographed poster, full set of 5 activision style patches, 4 copies of the game/etc..) ...and it just seems like a fun thing to be a part of :)

In recent posts I see a few people talking about it being a gamble if it doesn't happen? I am 99% sure the way kickstarter works is if they don't meet the goal/deadline you are never charged? Not sure what the gamble would be on that?

I'll admit it was David Crane posting here that got me to get my ass off the couch and contribute :) Thanks man! I'm kind of excited now (never been a part of ANY kickstarter stuff)

I'm keeping a small section of my wall in my classic gaming room empty because I know it will feature a nice signed Jungle Adventure poster come November (or later, I understand if things get delayed) It's still a long way away to the goal but you gotta believe man :)

post-9102-0-92119800-1346353242_thumb.jpg

Soon to feature Jungle Adventure poster in lower left corner :)

So Random Terrain, I hope that was a joke. (And yes, I recognize the reference to 'The Game'.)

I'll chime in again here, not because others can't explain Kickstarter better then me, but because trust is very much an issue.

If a Kickstarter project doesn't fund, backers' money is 100% refunded. In fact, as I understand it the money is not even taken in the first place until it closes. But yes, once it funds you have placed your trust in the team to deliver. So choose wisely. But in most game development projects a backer is putting up $15 for a copy of the game. That is your risk. There are higher tiers so that we can provide a physical collectible object for die-hard collectors. And even there, if the project doesn't fund your money is refunded. If the project funds it is a pretty safe bet that those collectibles will be created.

But trust is part of it once a project successfully funds. There has not yet been a big game project that failed to deliver. I have a proven track record, and I have chosen my team based on the same thing. I will not be the guy who fails to deliver a game worthy of my reputation.

Another big issue is whether the project is properly funded. A lot has been made of the size of my Kickstarter project. If you give it 5 seconds of thought, however, you see why this is a big positive. I have set the development budget to accurately reflect what it costs to make a game. So rather than focusing on the $900K number, consider this: I am not asking any backer to 'give' me $900K. I am offering to produce a $900K game that you can have for $15. If I set the budget for this game at $100K you might rightfully doubt that I could create a game that you would want to play. As it is, the size of the raise increases the likelihood of a great game.

But to address the biggest issue here, Kickstarter is designed to 100% refund your money if the project doesn't fund. And if it does fund, most backers are risking the cost of a movie ticket to be part of a major, professional game development project. That is the value proposition that you are considering as a risk / reward.

• Like 3

I don't know....I guess that's one opinion, which I'm not discounting. I however liken it more to being a patron of the arts. It's been happening since the Renaissance..