IGNORED

Wii U Questions

Metal Ghost

I really have no plans to get the Wii U. At least not until I feel like I'm done with the current gen of systems, yes all three. Right now my "To play" piles on all three systems is very large. They could stop making games for two years and I'd be fine. My plan is to ignore the next generation of games until I've made it through the "To play" piles. My guess is by that time the next gen systems will have plenty of cheap, older software available and maybe even the units them self will be cheaper.

All that said. I've recently found myself doing searches for Wii U on Amazon. A week ago I only saw pre-order games available, but it looks like there is now a Wii U console page made...

http://www.amazon.co...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8

There is plenty of Wi U info listed, including the launch date. There are also already a couple reviews by some fans who have gotten to try a Wii U out already.The console is currently only being sold by 3rd parties, but my guess is soon Amazon will be selling them directly.

Amazon has an issue right now with Nintendo, or visa versa. Hence why 3DS and Wii U consoles aren't for sale via Amazon.

• Like 1

There is a very good chance this so called deluxe system in which two of the main selling points are the "free game" and the extra 24 gb of space will be a free rom installed onto that 24 gb of space. This stuff just really irks me. I have called and emailed Nintendo asking if this will be a real game or a pre-installed game and magically that information is not known.

While I doubt Nintendo Land takes up more than a couple of gigs of space, I hadn't thought of that before.

I hope system pack-in's aren't just preinstalled downloads on the WiiU. Got no urge yet to get a WiiU and nothing I've seen of Nintendo Land has been appealing, but when I do buy one with a good pack-in game, I at least want it on physical disc that I can then purchase a case and appropriate artwork for just like myself and many others did with Wii Sports and Link's Crossbow Training on the Wii that came in cardboard sleeves.

Edited by Atariboy

As far as what form the pack-in will take, here's an answer.

Wii U Premium's Nintendo Land pack-in will be physical disc, no details on packaging

I was surprised to see just how many of you guys and gals wanted to know what sort of packaging Nintendo Land would given inside of the Wii U premium bundle. As you remember, Wii Sports was a paper sleeve. Would Nintendo Land get the same treatment?

At your request, I posed this question to Nintendo's Marc Franklin. He said that Nintendo Land will indeed be a physical disc and not pre-installed software on the system. As far as the packaging, he honestly didn't know. He also said it was good to hear this kind of feedback. Let's hope that all adds up to the decision for an official case at launch!

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=185429&sid=9fa58db4ee196dc811fac1f9eaa50308

• Like 1

Yep, games are up for pre-order/sale. Don't know why it's just the systems. Can't find anyone on any forum who knows what's going on.

I'll try to dig up the article I read about this (which was quite a while ago) but I don't have it at hand at the moment.

The issue with Amazon itself not selling Wii, 3DS or Wii-U consoles goes back to the launch of the 3DS. Supposedly Amazon had a lot of returns on the 3DS due to screen scratching and loose/broken hinges. They and Nintendo got into a fight over it with Nintendo supposedly saying that many of the returns Amazon was sending them were not truly damaged, and Amazon demanding a full credit from Nintendo for every 3DS they returned to them, no matter what.

Amazon was also complaining about slow sales of the 3DS and asked Nintendo to allow them to run some special package deals & pricing so that Amazon could try and move 3DS systems that were just sitting in the warehouse. Nintendo supposedly said no as this would be unfair to other retailers who were selling at MSRP.

So between the issues of returns and pricing, Nintendo and Amazon parted ways on selling hardware (software is okay). There is a dispute on whether Nintendo refuses to sell any hardware to Amazon or whether Amazon refuses to purchase any hardware from Nintendo.

As I said, I'll try and dig up the article that reported all of the above.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon
  • Like 1

Very interesting. Thanks for the update on that. I guess that makes sense, though I'd suspect Amazon should let it go. I can't image how much money they'll miss out on by not supplying systems. Not that they make much from the system sales, but people like to shop in one place. Customers might rather shop somewhere where they can order both systems and games at once, than two separate transactions from two separate sites.

My hunch is that it may be Nintendo refusing to sell hardware to Amazon. That is because Amazon had a Wii U pre-order page up a few days ago (I saw it myself, but it is now down). That would make be believe that they were taking pre-orders and were then told by Nintendo that Ninty would not be sending them any units.

Also, for however little it's worth, a guy at our local retro/new game shop in town was actually where I heard about this issue first (i.e. I had seen the Amazon pre-order page the day before, and assumed they were still taking pre-orders until this guy told me no, the page has been taken down) and he also said that it was Nintendo who was refusing to fulfull Amazon POs, not that Amazon was refusing to order/stock the console. Anyway, I think as with any local game store, this guy was the very knowledgable one....not the stereotypical numbnutz behind the counter (of which this store definitely has one of those too!!).

I just read on joystiq that Amazon is now selling 3DS XL's. Maybe Nintendo and Amazon kissed and made up?

With the potential cash Amazon would be losing on hardware sales and game sales (that people who buy with their new console), I'm sure Amazon realized that a squabble isn't worth lost revenue. Similar to Samsung and Apple, just because they have differences in opinions, it's not like Samsung is going to stop producing parts for the iPhone. Money speaks loudly.

Edited by DaytonaUSA
  • Like 1

Just going to chime in a little here. After really thinking about everything. I don't want this system (however I will probabaly buy it). All this digital download crap really pisses me off. I for one do not want roms. I suggest nobody else pay them for the roms either. We are indirectly killing the world of collecting by doing so.

There is a very good chance this so called deluxe system in which two of the main selling points are the "free game" and the extra 24 gb of space will be a free rom installed onto that 24 gb of space. This stuff just really irks me. I have called and emailed Nintendo asking if this will be a real game or a pre-installed game and magically that information is not known.

Good on ya!! I wish everyone was asking the same logical questions you are... well done. Page 5 of this thread is more reason than ever not to support N. at launch.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone get the instructions of the Wii to Wii U transfer process? Will it only transfer the games currently installed on the Wii or will it transfer the Download rights? I'd hate to be forced to redownload everything on the old Wii and then transfer it to the U in 512MB chunks. Or even worse, maybe you can do the transfer only once, so you can only transfer as many of your favourites as you can cram into 512MB? :ponder:

Does anyone get the instructions of the Wii to Wii U transfer process? Will it only transfer the games currently installed on the Wii or will it transfer the Download rights? I'd hate to be forced to redownload everything on the old Wii and then transfer it to the U in 512MB chunks. Or even worse, maybe you can do the transfer only once, so you can only transfer as many of your favourites as you can cram into 512MB? :ponder:

here's the details so far-

http://www.shacknews.com/article/76569/how-to-transfer-wii-data-to-the-wii-u

This wiki page has some really good information on the new Wii-U

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U Be sure to read from the section "Post-announcement" on... the stuff before that is just pre-release rumours, etc.

I'm kinda intrigued. But then again I have not been keeping up with what the Xbox 360 (live) and Sony PSN have been up to. But at the very least it looks like Nintendo is making an attempt to "catch up" with the competition.