IGNORED

Altirra 2.10 released

Gury

Phaeron, do you have the link to drac o/s, since i recall your emu supports 65816 mode and i wouldn't mind having a looksie at this o/s

I presume you mean this..

http://drac030.krap....os-15082008.arc

For Arcs I use http://www.izarc.org/download.html

Thankyou fellow londoner, I am guessing that Powerarchiver or 7zip/winrar (do have winzip but can't be arsed to install it) work with .arc files

Edited by carmel_andrews

Don't have power archiver myself but Winrar does NOT work..

BUT, Phaeron has just mentioned you can use the disk explorer in Altirra to open the arc and then drop it onto the PC and then onto altirra or in the case of the rom, use it as the otheros.

Edited by Mclaneinc

Altirra can mount ARC files in its Disk Explorer, from which you can just drag out the files. I put this in because I was tired of having to boot into SDX in order to extract files off an ARC on a disk image and then reboot into another DOS to get the files off that into H:.

Nice touch - I didn't know about that. I've got Stuffit Expander installed because I need to handle a lot of Mac stuff, but I'll have to try the ARC mounting in the emulator.

I also use IZArc, it is a GUI based archive utility which supports a variety of formats including ARC. There are a few add-ons the installation program wants you to add (for support purposes) so don't rush through the install process and make sure you uncheck those optional add-ons that you don't want. The installation also offers a free Game to play (I guess it's online gaming).

http://www.izarc.org/

Edited by atari8warez

Latest beta from Phaeron

Copied from the blog..

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.20-test3.zip

Portable mode fix, fix for some ROM images getting mixed up in the new UI, a couple of fixes for DOS 2 disks in the Disk Explorer, and partial save state file support. Be warned that the save state support is still not stable, though -- it doesn't do enough checks, so you can cause the emulator to malfunction or crash if you load save states into the wrong version or with radically different configurations. Currently it only checks whether the kernel ROM matches.

• Like 1

Save states have been in Altirra for ages but only as mem saves which you lost when turning off, now its good old save to disk and replay any time.

Just remember what Phaeron says in the blog post re making sure you use the same setup you saved from or you could get problems. If you played it off one particular crack then best to make sure its the same one when returning.

Oh, Breaker on the forum was eagle eyed and spotted that the load and save requester dialogues both say load save state at the top.

Just in case you think you are going mad :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

Does your Atari actually have a battery backed up RAM disk? Shift+F5 is cold reset in Altirra, so it's supposed to simulate what you get when powering up an Atari after leaving it off for a while. This includes all RAM data going bye-bye.

1. I think Alex/Bit Busters had a battery backed up RAM disk in his Atari.
  2. Some people have an additional Cold Reset button.
  3. I was able to recover source code from the RAM disk after my Atari crashed, by quickly turning it off and on. It rebooted and just a few bits flipped in the RAM disk, which were easy to fix manually.

Regarding coldstart and RAM Disk: Many OS ROMs (QMEG, etc) have a built in way of performing a cold start. I hardly every turn a computer off for a cold start. Hence the question if a cold start should keep the RAM disk in not really related to having batteries or not.

An award from ABBUC? Wow, I'm honored.

Regarding the reset with RAM preservation, I can put in a "lukewarm" reset which does a cold reset without clearing all RAM. A minimal amount of RAM needs to be hit though because at least PUPBT1-3 need to be hit for the XL/XE OS to actually do a cold reset. I'm thinking that changing $0000-03FF would do the trick and be vaguely like what might happen on real hardware.

save states? coolio... finally :) no need for Atari800win anymore...

You can say that when they fully work. :P

Did anybody managed a working paddle emulation under Altirra? (I've tried to configure a CX77, but even the normal mouse to paddle configuration doesn't change the according registers?!)

Should work fine -- just tested it again with Kaboom!. Just keep in mind, if you're writing your own code, that you can't cheat: you've got to hit POTGO and if you're on slow pot scan mode you need init mode off.

Should work fine -- just tested it again with Kaboom!. Just keep in mind, if you're writing your own code, that you can't cheat: you've got to hit POTGO and if you're on slow pot scan mode you need init mode off.

10 PRINT PADDLE(0),PADDLE(1):GOTO 10

In "Mouse -> Paddle A" mode the first value goes from 1 to 227 (the full range should be 0-228, BTW: setting of range would be a nice addition, needed for CX77).

With the setup depicted below, I only get '228' for both channels...

post-7778-0-92733000-1346402385_thumb.png

Save state files finally? EXCELLENT!!! Can't wait for the next final release version of Altirra with this feature! It's the one reason I've been hanging onto AtariWinPlus. It really comes in handy with longer, multi-level games that didn't have a save feature. And it's also great to use with Alternate Reality because you can just load the state rather than have to go thru all the file loading / disk swapping when continuing the game.

This version has a bunch of fixes to save states:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.20-test4.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.20-test4-src.zip

For those wondering why I put off save states this long, they're actually tricky to do. It's not as simple as just dumping all internal state because (a) there are elements that can't be saved and have to be synced, and (b) that produces a save format that is unvalidated and can blow up the emulator if anything is wrong. Part of what I've been doing is rewriting the save code so the save state file has a chunk-based format with architectural state separated from internal state and adding validation. There are also other issues, such as what happens to modified disks and cart images when you use save states. Generally you don't want persistent storage included in save states -- sucks if your save games get rewound when you load a save state -- but with a DOS failing to roll back the disks can result in filesystem corruption.

A bit of warning: currently Altirra does not restore any disk state, including bound images. This means that states will not work if saved in the middle of a disk load. I need to figure out how to handle restoring the disk image mappings.

10 PRINT PADDLE(0),PADDLE(1):GOTO 10

In "Mouse -> Paddle A" mode the first value goes from 1 to 227 (the full range should be 0-228, BTW: setting of range would be a nice addition, needed for CX77).

With the setup depicted below, I only get '228' for both channels...

I checked the history on the paddle range, and it turns out I narrowed this because of an issue with 5200 Vanguard blowing up with 228. I need to check that again, but in the meantime I've opened the 800 paddle/tablet ranges to 0-228 as there's no reason to tie that to the 5200 joystick behavior.

The tablet isn't working for you because button 4, the stylus up/down input, isn't bound. This means that the stylus is always up and thus no stylus input is received. It's a bug in current versions that the stylus is always up in this case; I've fixed it in 2.20 test-4 so that the stylus defaults to down.

Reset Windows Layout - WTF.. what a brutal clean and useful, thanks for it :) i lost my screen window today, but i found this thing :)

Yeah, I put that in after people were getting stuck with broken window setups. Never figured out how people kept losing the display, but View > Display brings it back if you've accidentally closed it.

Protip: If you really manage to hose the configuration settings, the /resetall switch will blow everything away.