IGNORED

Altirra 2.10 released

Gury

Folder mounting (be it in AspecQT or and emulator) is useful when you cross-develop stuff that would need a DOS to operate. This way you don't need to pack everything into an ATR every time you want to test. Up to now I've used the H: drive for these things already, but that again requires you to change the paths in the program from "D:" to "H:". So mounting folders diretly will simplify things here.

Plus you get the occasional odd program that inisists you use D:, not H:, as your device.

I'm very inexperienced with Altirra, and I've not been able to figure out how to successfully use the BASIC XE (or BASIC XL) .CAR images. What's worse is that I saw in the menus somewhere a reference to OSS carts, but I can't find it now. Can anyone give me some hints how to get these working in Altirra?

Thanks,

Larry

I'm very inexperienced with Altirra, and I've not been able to figure out how to successfully use the BASIC XE (or BASIC XL) .CAR images. What's worse is that I saw in the menus somewhere a reference to OSS carts, but I can't find it now. Can anyone give me some hints how to get these working in Altirra?

Thanks,

Larry

Larry, on the Altirra menu bar click "File/Attach Cartridge", select the BASIC XE/XL .CAR, .BIN or .ROM image, "Select Cartridge Mapper" screen will pup-up suggesting that you should select "15: OSS 'M091' (Recommanded)", select the recommanded mapping. Altirra will cold-boot and voila you're into the BASIC XL/XE. If there is a bootable DOS image on D1: that will first boot of course before getting you in BASIC.

Edited by atari8warez

A few gotchas with BASIC XL/XE:

• If you actually have a .CAR file (16400 bytes), you won't get the cartridge mapper window because the file itself contains a cartridge type.
  • If you have a raw cartridge image (16384 bytes), the cartridge mapper will not show (Recommended) if the image is of 034M or 043M type. This is because the autodetect code that tries to guess the type can't distinguish these types.
  • It's possible that you have a cartridge image that is incorrectly tagged as 034M when it is actually 043M. In this case, BASIC XE/XL may start up but crash when you try to run code. To fix this, use File | Save Firmware | Cartridge..., save with the file type drop-down set to Raw Cartridge Image, then reload the saved .BIN file back in so you can re-select the correct mapper.

Thanks, guys, but no luck so far.

The images that I have are 1) raw rom images and 2) 034M-types (according to Atari800 WinPlus -- I made/picked the CAR images years ago for it. Still work fine in that emulator.)

I see what you mean by the way the cartridge mapper pops up/doesn't. But with a raw image 16384, it does pop up and as you say, Altirra boots and then freezes when any Basic code is run.

I tried telling it 034M and then 043M. It comes up then freezes in both cases. Telling it is 091 kills the emulator instantly. Using my existing .CAR images freezes the emulator screen mid-boot. No pop-up selector. That's why I could then couldn't find the reference to OSS!

I have original carts that I can dump -- not sure of the source of my existing CAR files. I probably looked in my library and picked up a couple of .CAR files.

Any other suggestions -- maybe the banks in my images are out of order for Altirra?

-Larry

A few gotchas with BASIC XL/XE:

• If you actually have a .CAR file (16400 bytes), you won't get the cartridge mapper window because the file itself contains a cartridge type.
  • If you have a raw cartridge image (16384 bytes), the cartridge mapper will not show (Recommended) if the image is of 034M or 043M type. This is because the autodetect code that tries to guess the type can't distinguish these types.
  • It's possible that you have a cartridge image that is incorrectly tagged as 034M when it is actually 043M. In this case, BASIC XE/XL may start up but crash when you try to run code. To fix this, use File | Save Firmware | Cartridge..., save with the file type drop-down set to Raw Cartridge Image, then reload the saved .BIN file back in so you can re-select the correct mapper.

Larry, did you try this bit where Phaeron says about writing them out as raw files?

It's possible that you have a cartridge image that is incorrectly tagged as 034M when it is actually 043M. In this case, BASIC XE/XL may start up but crash when you try to run code. To fix this, use File | Save Firmware | Cartridge..., save with the file type drop-down set to Raw Cartridge Image, then reload the saved .BIN file back in so you can re-select the correct mapper.

Yes, did that and it behaves as I described. To be clear, I attached the CAR, then saved it as a raw .BIN image. Then attached that .BIN -- then the pop-up comes up and I must select a type. Tried 034M and then 043M. Basic XL comes up but when code is entered and then run, I get garbage on the display and lockup. (Same CAR that works in Atari800 WinPlus.) Type 091 crashes the emulator.

-Larry

Thanks, Ray, but no --locks up while Dos is loading. It is different -- the 15: OSS 091 comes up as the first entry on the pop-up.

I just had a thought -- I'm using MyDos 4.53/3. This isn't an SDX-only emulator, is it (seriously)? I see the words "command line" in Phaeron's reply.

-Larry

I just had a thought -- I'm using MyDos 4.53/3. This isn't an SDX-only emulator, is it (seriously)? I see the words "command line" in Phaeron's reply.

No, it isn't. I was referring to the command-line in Windows.

You've got too many things going on at once. Get the cartridge working without DOS or any other addons -- vanilla XL/XE hardware configuration, no add-ons.

I went back and stripped everything out of the emulated system except a "stock" 800XL with 64K. Same situation/results. I do appreciate you trying to help me, but I think this is not going to work for me at this time.

FWIW, I'm running Win XP, 2 GB ram, Core 2 Duo @6300, Service Pack 3 + updates with no other opened applications. I'll try this sometime soon on my Win7 laptop. Ray, I'll use your image. If you get a chance, could you try your same image with MyDos?

-Larry

I went back and stripped everything out of the emulated system except a "stock" 800XL with 64K. Same situation/results. I do appreciate you trying to help me, but I think this is not going to work for me at this time.

FWIW, I'm running Win XP, 2 GB ram, Core 2 Duo @6300, Service Pack 3 + updates with no other opened applications. I'll try this sometime soon on my Win7 laptop. Ray, I'll use your image. If you get a chance, could you try your same image with MyDos?

-Larry

Will do.....

EDIT: Here's BASICXE 4.1 with Altirra (Hardware=XL/XE, Firmware=600XL/800XL, Memory=128L(130XE, recorded with Altirra)

http://youtu.be/FU4sHjvkUJk

Edited by atari8warez

That's the new error decoder, which I put in because I hate looking up error codes.

post-16457-0-43063500-1357345266_thumb.png

Cool idea. We are all getting older and my memory will get worse, too - so we should implement these features before it's too late :-)

• Like 1