IGNORED

new 32X owner

atari2600land

That's a fine deal! RBI Baseball '95 is one of the less common titles for the system; everything else is fairly common.

I enjoyed playing through Motocross Championship, and think it's quite underrated. Cosmic Carnage also has its charm, though the game's time limit is quite unforgiving (if you're trying to get the good ending).

As for what else to get, I've enjoyed Virtua Fighter, Shadow Squadron, Metal Head, and Space Harrier. OTOH, I was disappointed by Mortal Kombat II and Kolibri.

I probably would have stayed clear at $40 if it was loose-loose (without cords), but just barely. If it came with a video cord, I'd call it fair, but thankfully prices on those cables have dropped nicely. The games are decent, but nothing that's going to put a huge smile on your face for too long. NBA Jam is (IMO) the best of them.

I'd recommend:

Star Wars

Shadow Squadron

Doom (if you're not burned out totally on that game yet)

and Virtua Racing

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Hey buddy, I think you got a good deal there. A few thoughts on games:

Doom - great version!

Kolibri - dissapointing as mentioned above. I thought it would be interesting and different, but meh. Not worth the price.

Tempo - Really good platformer

BC Racers - panned as horrible. I enjoyed it, but it has some choppy animations.

Afterburner - blew my mind at the time, probably not so great now.

I have purchased some more games recently that I have not played yet, better get on it.

In addition to Cosmic Carnage (which you already own), I've had fun with Blackthorne, Metal Head, and Tempo.

And if you're a Sonic fan & can find a cheap copy, Knuckles Chaotix is interesting. Not a great game, not even really a good game, but it's colorful, has some neat gameplay mechanics, good music, and great bonus stages. They should've just made the entire game in the style of those bonus stages.

The ones I'd unconditionally recommend out of my 32X selection are:

Virtua Racing Deluxe

Shadow Squadron

Metal Head

Space Harrier

Nostalgically, I like Star Wars Arcade, but I think that's only because I was so hyped about it back in the day. It doesn't age well at all, and was frustrating as hell even in the best of times.

I also like Mortal Kombat II, but primarily because I enjoy playing MK2 on the Genesis, and the 32X version is the ultimate conversion of it for the consoles of that particular age.

It's kind of like a campy B-movie, in that the things about it that are bad (like the bizarre talking heads/dialogue) are mostly entertaining. The crucial thing is to hold down the "run" button basically all the time; otherwise it's dog-slow.

The framerate is low and the animations are choppy, but once you figure out how to approach it, it's actually a reasonably fun game that plays fairly well. But you have to be in an indulgent mood, and open to the "charms" of early attempts at 3D (which I often prefer, actually, to the more polished look of later efforts).

Wow, lots of love for Metal Head out there. Can anyone tell me why? I've checked videos and reviews on YouTube and it just looks kinda meh to me.

You gotta realize, it's the 32x. Most of the library aspires to be "meh".

Besides, it's like an early version of Armored Core or something. Who doesn't like stomping around in a giant robot?

Wow, lots of love for Metal Head out there. Can anyone tell me why? I've checked videos and reviews on YouTube and it just looks kinda meh to me.

I'm not exactly sure why myself. :D

Metal Head was the most spectacular polygon game on the 32X. But even when it was new it was still pretty primitive looking compared to the 3DO, PS1, N64, and Saturn games which were hitting stores. (I think Metal Head was a really late 32X release.) About all it could boast is that it looked better than a Super FX game.

It got horrible to lukewarm reviews. The criticisms it drew regarding short draw distance, clunky textures, and awkward controls are even more true today than they were when the reviews were first written.

Yet, Metal Head gets a lot of play on my 32X, even all these years later. There's something inherently fun about wandering around the maze, watching your radar screen for blips, and sneaking up behind enemies to chain gun them to death. There's something cool about it being a fully voiced game on an old cartridge. There's something endearing about the floppy mouthed digitized photographs which speak to you. It makes me not worry about the horrible framerate, the arms-reach draw distance,or the controls which always have me running around like a total spaz. Metal Head is somehow greater than the sum of it's parts gives it any right to be.

Metal Head is somehow retro-cool even though it was trying desperately to be current/mainstream and failing badly.

• Like 1

Nice description, Gabriel! There's just something about the game which, as you say, tips it into the "endearing and fun" category. Unlike, say, Vortex for SNES, it never gets in its own way.

BTW, does anyone know what the medals symbolize when you beat Metal Head? It looks like there's room for six, and I've gotten five, but I don't know what they mean or how to trigger it.

Hi, I got a loose 32X with boxed copies of NBA Jam TE, Cosmic Carnage, PGA 36 Holes, RBI Baseball '95 and Motocross Championship for $40. Good deal or not? Anyway, now that I have one, what are your favorites for this?

Depends on the condition and completeness of what you received.

For the 32x, Shadow Squadron is badass! The Sonic game is strange, but feels like a must, Star Wars is a jam... past that, the 2 big must haves imho are Space Harrier (I know there's a flawless version for the S. but this port rocks on the 32x) and After Burner.

RBI Baseball '95 is my favorite for the system and it's awesome you already have it. Give it a shot and don't just write it off as another disposable sports game. RBI was the best of all the retro baseball series and the 32X release was the last before it died.

I'll try it on Everdrive I suppose. I sold mine because it was sealed and I wasn't going to ever open it.

Much like cheap beer,retro video game baseball is definitely an aquired taste. But as far as that goes, RBI is by far my personal favorite. Highlights are RBI Baseball 2 for the NES, RBI Baseball 3 for the NES and Genesis, and its swansong RBI '95 for the 32X. It's at least worth a shot seeing as how 16-bit generation sports games go for about 50 cents apiece.

Edited by Lentzquest

Baseball stars is my 2nd place to RBI. I agree that going too realistic is bad for sports. I pretty much draw the line on sports games after the 32-bit generation. For what it's worth, I think that baseball hit its peak with RBI 3, hockey with Blades of Steel (NES)/NHL Hockey (SNES), and basketball with NBA Jam.

I don't like realistic sports as a general rule. Baseball Stars is about the only one I play consistently to this day.

....and proud he should be... he hit that ball a country mile.

Baseball stars is my 2nd place to RBI. I agree that going too realistic is bad for sports. I pretty much draw the line on sports games after the 32-bit generation. For what it's worth, I think that baseball hit its peak with RBI 3, hockey with Blades of Steel (NES)/NHL Hockey (SNES), and basketball with NBA Jam.

I haven't played the original... but I've got a decent amount of experience with Baseball Stars 2. It is my favorite Sprite based Basedball game, next to one I have for the Saturn (can't remember the name)

I love having both, arcadey, and solid Simy sports game, they compliment each other well. That logic can probably be applied to most genres I imagine...

• 2 weeks later...

If you can score Night Trap for the 32X/Sega CD it is a little more playable (IMHO) than the straight Sega CD version. I agree on Metal Head as well. I switch to the anime art for the talking heads though, the digitized faces make me laugh to hard when they talk. Anyone ever notice the LIES on the Metal Head box? I have never seen "bombed out farmland or scorched forests" in the many times I've played the game. (Back cover, bottom left text.) T-Mek is fun if you can track a copy down.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...