IGNORED

Creating a Qix-like game for the ColecoVision

PkK

Here's anpother update:

1) The line bug just reported should be fixed now.

2) Edge storage has been moved into VRAM. Getting an "out of edge memory" error is far more unlikely now. The game can now handle up to 200 edges.

Initially I was considering detecting the presence of the Adam or SGM to allow even more edges using their 24K RAM, but when no one gets any "out of edge memory" errors, I might leave it at the 200 that I managed to put into VRAM.

Next I'll want to complete multiplayer mode, then multiple lives. 'Haven't decided about sound and music yet.

Philipp

Edit: I also plan to allow the Sparx to move onto the Stix in higher levels.

Ȼix7.rom.gz

Edited by PkK
  • Like 1

I'd encourage you to continue with the game. It's a very good start. I happen to like puzzle games and this one is very good. I've tried the arcade version through MAME and also the Atari 5200 version through MESS. The Atari 5200 console is pretty similar to the Colecovision so you might strive to get yours something like that one. It's a little early for comments really but I'll just make a few:

1. With the other versions you have to press a button to start to draw but I must say that I'm getting used to it just the way it is.

2. Qix should have a better animation that is wavy like the other versions.

3. The Stix and the marker are a little big.

There are other things but you're early in the development. I hope you continue to share the rom as you go along so that we can comment. Hopefully constructively. :)

My high score so far: 43467

Chuck

Oh. What is your percentage of fill for completion. In the Arcade version it is 75% and in Atari 5200 it's 65%?

Edited by ChuckH

Oh. What is your percentage of fill for completion. In the Arcade version it is 75% and in Atari 5200 it's 65%?

The aracde version could be set to 50%, 75% (the factory default) and 90%. I use these for easy, normal and hard mode (and that is the only difference between the modes).

Philipp

2. Qix should have a better animation that is wavy like the other versions.

So far I just went with something that was easy to do on the ColecoVision. The ColecoVision neither has a vector capability for line-drawing, now has it the unlimited-height sprites of the Atari 5200. I might revisit this later.

3. The Stix and the marker are a little big.

I'll have to test on a real cosnole, before deciding this. That will take time, as I am travelling until mid-october.

There are other things but you're early in the development. I hope you continue to share the rom as you go along so that we can comment. Hopefully constructively. :)

Well, just tell about the other things now; they might be harder to change later (should I decide to do so).

Philipp

I think 65% instead of 50% would be a good idea for your game PkK, just a suggestion.

Why?

Philipp

I think that 50% is too easy and by changing the lowest skill percentage to 65% the game has more diversity. By this I mean if the lowest skill level is too easy and it doesn't get played much, then it is like having one less skill level to choose from. This is just a thought not a big deal either way.

I think that 50% is too easy and by changing the lowest skill percentage to 65% the game has more diversity. By this I mean if the lowest skill level is too easy and it doesn't get played much, then it is like having one less skill level to choose from. This is just a thought not a big deal either way.

I'll have to try on a real ColecoVision, with the original controllers to see if 50% is too easy, but I will consider adding another difficulty level at at 65%.

Philipp

I like that you have an end screen now. When you die it would be nice to be able to push a button to start over. I think that you could add more lives so that it just doesn't end with one try. On one level there were two Sparx but they just ran together. A nice splash screen would be nice. Possibly an attract mode. Maybe an instructions option. You could have a fill meter with the percentage needed and how much you've filled as you progress.

This is coming along nicely. I encountered a bug where a line will draw for no apparent reason. I'll try to duplicate. It was on the normal level. I'm not sure what the percentage of fill is on the normal level but it must be around 90%. When it says Press Fire To Continue, the screen could show which difficulty that your playing. Likewise, the end screen could say what difficulty as well as the level you ended on.

My high score so far on easy as I'll move onto another difficulty:

post-17328-0-81390100-1347294647_thumb.png

Edited by ChuckH

I like that you have an end screen now. When you die it would be nice to be able to push a button to start over.

Why not just use the reset button?

I think that you could add more lives so that it just doesn't end with one try.

This is planned.

On one level there were two Sparx but they just ran together.

I'll look into a mechanism that detects the case of two Sparx on an edge going the same direction, and has a small chance of making one of them changing direction.

This is coming along nicely. I encountered a bug where a line will draw for no apparent reason. I'll try to duplicate.

Thanks.

Likewise, the end screen could say what difficulty as well as the level you ended on.

This seems like a good idea. I'll implement it.

Philipp

PkK,

Just some feedback.

The multi-player option doesn't work in the new rom. At least I can't figure it out.

I would prefer a button for reset instead of getting up and pulling the reset. You could also just have the end screen go back to the options screen after, say, 10 seconds. Enough time to take a picture of the end score if you want.

I am still getting a line drawn without reason sometimes. I've attached the error message picture:

post-17328-0-47133600-1347414460_thumb.png

I can confirm that I've seen again the line bug, I didn't take a picture and now I cannot replicate it! :(

I made two "towers" in the bottom part of screen and then I was making a left bump in the corner of right tower and the horizontal line appeared between the two towers. I think I was changing my mind on direction and did a brusque movement in the last moment because the crawling guy was coming towards me.

By the way, I think it would be very appreciated a way to reenter game after losing without pressing reset. Also the difficulty selection screen should be centered just to keep aesthetics.

Just a small update, with a fix for the second line bug reported by nanochess.

For the difficulty screen I did not center the lines (as opposed to the other screens), since I wanted the numbers aligned. Is this reset issue really important? The controller cables are not that long, so on a real ColecoVision the reset button is easily within reach all the time.

Philipp

Ȼi̅x̅9.rom.gz

• Like 1

For the difficulty screen I did not center the lines (as opposed to the other screens), since I wanted the numbers aligned. Is this reset issue really important? The controller cables are not that long, so on a real ColecoVision the reset button is easily within reach all the time.

Philipp

Since your rom most likely goes on the Atarimax SD, I would say it is possible that the reset button is not the minor annoyance you are thinking about but instead a big annoyance that the reset button could be resetting atarimax as well and then they have to flip through the lists again to get to your game and activate it again.

That is just my guess but I know I have had that issue on games I was playing and it was annoying to keep flipping through my big list of games to go back to that game I was playing.

Philipp

Thank you! About difficulty screen I mean to center everything as a whole to not disalign numbers.

Really I'd prefer to push a button to continue instead of reset. In my setup, I've my Colecovision near my TV and I'm sitting in a chair, so I have to get up to push the reset button. Just my 2 cents :)

Philipp

First off, I'm really impressed with your quick progress on Cix. I always enjoyed Qix in the arcade and on other game systems and always hoped to see a ColecoVision version developed.

As far as the issue with having to press the reset button on the CV, I personally think you should offer the option to press * on the keypad to replay the same skill level game and # to return to the game level selection screen. It follows suite with what Coleco and others have done over the years and just makes for a more professional and polished game.

It's the little things (finishing touches) that make a really good game a GREAT game. Good Luck with the continued development.

• Like 1

Like the last 3 comments in a row...mine being the 4th. Having to press the reset on the console is ridiculous. I 2nd NIAD's comment about the * and # key. Also is there a way to fill the area that would look smoother and/or faster?

How about instead of filling the area solid, like you are currently doing, maybe try skipping lines. This will give the completed area some texture and will definetely speed up the fill speed of completed areas. Aside from that, I gotta try out the latest version already. Thanks for sharing the demos with us, PkK, as it always fun to watch the development/progress of a game and to even be able to take part in suggestions and testing.

Thanks for taking the time to make this game and share it

*comments from first 30 min of playing it*

add * for pause

press fire to restart at end of game / score screen

make fill faster if possible

can draw new line be different color then fill color, so you can see where you started to draw a new line

if I remeber right doesn't the sound of the game make it so you can think of the center guy trying to go super fast or slow, i.e. safer to move when slow

Is the center guy usually more line like

Can you change background color to black as with the F18A it shows the light blue fill color as the border, black would look better

Perhaps change fill colors between levels

Provide 3 lives

Give % filled on screen if possible, i.e. 59% filled 65% needed or something like that

Change title screen to black with white lettering, perhaps add graphic if possible

thanks

press fire to restart at end of game / score screen

I will consider this, but want to play the game on a console before I decide.

make fill faster if possible

Done.

can draw new line be different color then fill color, so you can see where you started to draw a new line

No. This is beyond the graphical capabilities of the ColecoVision.

Provide 3 lives

This is planned.

Philipp

Ȼi̅x̅a.rom.gz

• Like 1