IGNORED

U1MB Rom Builder v1.0

atari8warez

I did it!

My 800xl now has the new rom installed. But since SDX has to be disabled to see a SIDE cartridge & MyIDE cartridge except the 3.1e version Cartridge. The rom seems to have a little problem recognizing the MyIDE SDX cartridge. The SIDE cartridge is recognized very easily.

Oh well all seems good.... Except for AtariGeezer's warning about not having any other rom chips in path of the flasher.atr.. SO unplug any cartridges before FLASHING..

Well if I understand last post of a8w right, you can do that with latest version.

Marius, the flasher I used and included in the archive is the flasher from the SDX445_ultimate.zip and is intended to flash the SDX part of the rom in U1MB. However if yu run it with a U1MB Rom it goes ahead and flashes all 64 banks. I tried this on Altirra and it did flash the Pilot Rom and when I rebooted Altirra I was able to use the Pilot language when I typed BASIC from SpartaDos X command line. Spartados X has to be enabled for the flasher to run. Did not try other roms but I will and let you guys know what's working what's not, but I suggest that you do some testing with the emulator before using it on the real machine.

when be can possible flasj u1mb via atari?)

The flasher included in this package is not the official U1MB flasher, it is for SDX on U1MB, but during testing I noticed it also flashes the rest of U1MB if a 512K rom is used. As I mentioned to Marius, make sure you test it in Altirra with the ROMS you want to use before applying it to the real hardware.

Version 1.0 final revision source and windows binaries are now available at SourceForge.

Changes:

- Missing translation bits for Turkish translation were added.

- Complete German Language translation was added. Many thanks to Fratzengeballer for his excellent and timely work on this.

New executable for quick replacement is attached.

U1MBRomB.zip

• Like 2

Oh and one suggestion though:

When I create a new ATR it would be nice if the time/date stamp of the U1M.ROM file on the ATR would be updated. For archiving purpouse it is nice to keep track of that. But even without that feature, really great software. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, it is so long as SDX does not exceed 256K in length.

If you look at those two memory maps (v1 and v2) the most important areas like BIOS, BASIC and the OS slots are the same. Areas unused in v1 will be claimed by other roms in v2. The U1MB Rom Builder will allow you to load those extra roms but it is totaly up to you to load them or not.

One exception to the above is the GUI, In version 1 U1MB allocated 320K for SDX, but in version 2 GUI steals some of that space leaving only 256K to SDX, to my knowledge SDX currently is no more than 256K, however future releases might have difficulty finding enough ROM space due to this re-allocation of upper memory. Having said that it is possible to allocate the first 320K completely to SDX with a minor modification to the U1MB Rom Builder which currently follows v2 specifications.

If you like to use U1MB Rom Builder with the first generation U1MB, simply replace the default rom (in the ROMS subfolder) with a version 1 rom. Alternatively you can delete the default rom from the subfolder and U1MB Rom builder will ask you to select a default rom when you first run it.

Edited by atari8warez

all is fine on the pc side,

atari shows standard slot tittle...

Hmm, I've never had any problems with titles not showing-up on Atari side during my tests, so I have no idea what is going on at this point, will check it again after i return home. In the meantime if anybody else experienced the same problem please let me know.

w1k, Marius1976, anybody?

• 2 months later...

Incredible! I had today the same issue as Fernando!

Usually I flash the Ultimate ROM once in a while, so I restart the Ultimate 1MB Rom Builder always Fresh.

This time was different (and the problem happened).

I know the exact steps:

1. Yesterday I created a new ROM for my Ultimate 1MB. New Roms, new titles.

2. I saved the ROM (the 512KB file) and then I created .ATR file. The ATR worked fine. On Atari everything OK too.

3. I did not switch off the computer, and I did not shut down the Ultimate 1MB Rom builder

4. Today I continued working. The program was still open and my ROM created in Step 2 was still active in the program.

5. Now I changed Slot 2: both rom and title.

6. Again like in step 2 I saved the ROM (the 512KB file) also renamed it (I keep an archive of all ROMS and their ATRs). I also saved the new ATR.

7. I flashed the U1MB in the Atari with the ATR... and guess what: the Title was NOT changed!

So I'm wondering now:

Is there a slight possibility that you use some kind of 'flags' that are only set ONCE after the U1MB builder did open a .ROM file to work on, and a slot is changed? But not any next times (as long as the program is open?)

Did is what I do now:

I did the same steps! I did not relaunch the program! I only loaded the ROM fresh again in U1MB Rom Builder, and then I did exact the same things. Now the title is good in Atari.

Could you please check my theory about the flag; or perhaps you see another reason why this could happen.