IGNORED

U1MB Rom Builder v1.0

atari8warez

Incredible! I had today the same issue as Fernando!

Usually I flash the Ultimate ROM once in a while, so I restart the Ultimate 1MB Rom Builder always Fresh.

This time was different (and the problem happened).

I know the exact steps:

1. Yesterday I created a new ROM for my Ultimate 1MB. New Roms, new titles.

2. I saved the ROM (the 512KB file) and then I created .ATR file. The ATR worked fine. On Atari everything OK too.

3. I did not switch off the computer, and I did not shut down the Ultimate 1MB Rom builder

4. Today I continued working. The program was still open and my ROM created in Step 2 was still active in the program.

5. Now I changed Slot 2: both rom and title.

6. Again like in step 2 I saved the ROM (the 512KB file) also renamed it (I keep an archive of all ROMS and their ATRs). I also saved the new ATR.

7. I flashed the U1MB in the Atari with the ATR... and guess what: the Title was NOT changed!

So I'm wondering now:

Is there a slight possibility that you use some kind of 'flags' that are only set ONCE after the U1MB builder did open a .ROM file to work on, and a slot is changed? But not any next times (as long as the program is open?)

Did is what I do now:

I did the same steps! I did not relaunch the program! I only loaded the ROM fresh again in U1MB Rom Builder, and then I did exact the same things. Now the title is good in Atari.

Could you please check my theory about the flag; or perhaps you see another reason why this could happen.

Ok let me ask you a few questions:

1. On your step1: What exactly did you change (which new roms, which new titles)

2. On your step 5: You say "I changed Slot 2: both rom and title." Is this the slot that comes right after SDX (Reserved Slot), or is it slot 2 of BASIC or GAMES or OS ?

Edited by atari8warez

Ok let me ask you a few questions:

1. On your step1: What exactly did you change (which new roms, which new titles)

2. On your step 5: You say "I changed Slot 2: both rom and title." Is this the slot that comes right after SDX (Reserved Slot), or is it slot 2 of BASIC or GAMES or OS ?

1. I changed the OS SLOT number 2. I changed the title, AND I change the 16K Rom file that belongs to that title.

I have 4 OS slots

1. MyIDE 4.7.05

2. MyIDE 4.8.xx

3. Qmeg

4. Standard XL/XE OS

I keep changing that MyIDE 4.8.xx all the time, since there are updates all the time.

I suppose we do not have to flash the atari to check whether the titles are changed or not. I guess that examine the 512K rom file that comes out of the builder or examine that ATR file, will also show us whether the name is changed right or not.

I could try to redo my 'failing' steps, and then examine the atr?

I discovered that the problem only exists in the ATR that is created.

When I examine the ROM file that the Rom Builder creates, the content is good: both rom and title are update.

When I examine the ATR that comes out of the Rom Builder, the title is NOT good.

See attachments. I did do this in this order:

1. Create ATR

2. SAVE ROM

Perhaps this order is wrong... saving ROM first, and THEN create ATR will do the trick (or perhaps then the ROM might be false, and the ATR will be good?) Not tested.

Greetz

M.

• Like 1

I discovered that the problem only exists in the ATR that is created.

When I examine the ROM file that the Rom Builder creates, the content is good: both rom and title are update.

When I examine the ATR that comes out of the Rom Builder, the title is NOT good.

See attachments. I did do this in this order:

1. Create ATR

2. SAVE ROM

Perhaps this order is wrong... saving ROM first, and THEN create ATR will do the trick (or perhaps then the ROM might be false, and the ATR will be good?) Not tested.

Greetz

M.

Excellent diag work Marius, I will check the code and see what is exactly wrong.

Update (v1.01):

Jan 25, 2013 - v1.01

* Updated Turkish Language translation.

* Fixed a problem where slot description changes were not propagated if an ATR is created without first saving the modified U1MB Rom file.
The program now prompts the user to save the modifications before creating the ATR. The user has the option to delay the save but in that case
the program now creates the ATR with modifications.

* BASIC Slot 1 description length was not limited to 14 characters, and if the user entered more than 14 characters the description was
truncated when saved to the BIOS ROM. Restricted the description entry to 14 chars.

Sep 19, 2012 - v1.00 - Initial Release

Download Version 1.01

Edited by atari8warez
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't suppose there will be a background option that is a simple color. I find it hard to see with any of the current options provided.

Actually there are 3 background options you can choose but if those are not good enough either I can add plain background too when I find some time.. A quick fix will not result in a good looking UI, simply changing the background color wont work, the UI needs to be redesigned for simple color.

Edited by atari8warez

Update: version 1.0.2:

Added basic plain background color selection (Plain and Plain-Lighter)

This does not include a GUI rework, just two plain background colors which permit all text to be visible, so don't expect it to look pretty, only for those people who can't stand the gradient-fill :-)

Download from here

Edited by atari8warez

• 3 weeks later...

Hi a8w,

Today I used your fabulous rom builder again (i really love this software, it's doing a great job)

Although again I had something weird going on.

I was using it this time for a Ultimate 1MB from the first batch (so with the different original firmware rom). Everything works right, even the ROM names are changed and compatible. But... the 'Configuration Saved' string on the screen is half gone. I now only shows Configuratio... and that's it.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it still compatible with the older rom? Or is something else going wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Ok, I'll check that. You are giving this a real stress test :grin:... Can you send me the ROM you are customizing (in its original form). This has never been tested with a U1MB from the first batch so something in the BIOS ROM which maybe different causing the problem.

Edited by atari8warez

Hi a8w,

Here is the original ROM from the first batch of Ultimate 1MB.

Since I have 5 of these Ultimate 1MB's and I'm not able to update them to the firmware of CLPD chip (and I do not really want to) I would like to be able to use your ROM builder for this version of ROM too.

If you load this into your program, you'll also see that there are some squares on the screen which is probably because unexpected data is read from this file.

Greeetz

M.

Hi a8w,

Here is the original ROM from the first batch of Ultimate 1MB.

Since I have 5 of these Ultimate 1MB's and I'm not able to update them to the firmware of CLPD chip (and I do not really want to) I would like to be able to use your ROM builder for this version of ROM too.

If you load this into your program, you'll also see that there are some squares on the screen which is probably because unexpected data is read from this file.

Greeetz

M.

Great, it may take me a little while to get this done though as my U1MB Flash memory got screwed due to power failure during flash, so I am getting a programmer to be able to restore it. That means I can not test this until I have a working U1MB again.

Edited by atari8warez

I have a defect in one of my arari's ... It keeps hanging from time to time when I use SIO .... I replaced pokey chip but that was not the issue.

I had this crash during flashing u1mb so I had to reflash it using my burner.

Do not forget to get a tool to remove chip from socket.

I have a defect in one of my arari's ... It keeps hanging from time to time when I use SIO .... I replaced pokey chip but that was not the issue.

I had this crash during flashing u1mb so I had to reflash it using my burner.

Do not forget to get a tool to remove chip from socket.

Yup, thanks for reminding me but the programmer I am getting already includes the chip remover. Even though I was able to pull the chip from the socket without breaking it, it would be lot easier with the right tool.

Was trying this great software out. It is nice that the rom is included so it populates the banks nicely.

urbgb.jpg

So this is the first time I used it and I have no idea what version of SDX is there and things like HI-Speed OS, Q-Meg OS, Stock OS...

I guess when I install the U1MB I can see what these are all about. But it would be clearer for me at this point if somehow there was more information on version numbers for things in the banks.

Like instead of Spartados X it could say Spartados X 4.46a so I would know I didn't need to update that bank...make sense?

Well maybe this is not possible to do, but anyway it is a good tool...very easy to use. Thanks for making it.

So this is the first time I used it and I have no idea what version of SDX is there and things like HI-Speed OS, Q-Meg OS, Stock OS...

Original U1MB ROM from the second run comes with SDX 4.45. In the ROM Builder the ability to enter descriptions is limited to "slots". I suppose it is possible to tweak some other strings to include things like SpartaDos version number, However the space for these kinds of descriptive text is very limited as all that information is stored in the BIOS ROM file as predefined strings, so we don't have too much room to work with.

As for the OS Roms:

- Stock OS is pretty much descriptive, its the original Atari OS for the XL/XE computers

- High-Speed OS is the Stock OS modified by Hiassoft for High-Speed SIO and can support all the way down to Pokey Divisor 0 with AspeQt for SIO speeds up to 126Kbps with the right SIO2PC adaptor.

- QMeg-OS isn't something I normally use, so have no idea about this but I've heard it has a built-in ML monitor :)

- Diagnostics basically just validates U1MB memory, I have no idea what else it does, but it is a good candidate for replacement by another OS

Edited by atari8warez

Great, it may take me a little while to get this done though as my U1MB Flash memory got screwed due to power failure during flash, so I am getting a programmer to be able to restore it. That means I can not test this until I have a working U1MB again.

Why do I keep forgetting that we have the excellent emulator called Altirra to test this stuff, I don't really need the real hardware...... must be the age :roll:

- QMeg-OS isn't something I normally use, so have no idea about this but I've heard it has a built-in ML monitor :)

Q-Meg is one of the BEST replacement OS's ever created. It has really a lot of amazing features. Even a FREEZER function.

I have been using Q-Meg for years; but now I'm back on stock XL/XE os.

Q-Meg is one of the BEST replacement OS's ever created. It has really a lot of amazing features. Even a FREEZER function.

I have been using Q-Meg for years; but now I'm back on stock XL/XE os.

Hmmm, I must try it then, I could use the ML monitor for sure, for the freezer I need to find something to freeze first :)

Does it also allow high-speed SIO and what is the lowest supported divisor?