IGNORED

Biggest Atari 2600 Letdowns

Mind Master

Here's Mind Master's list (no particular order):

-Pac Man. The most feverishly anticipated game ever turns out to be a fun-free, colorless boredom fest. Couldn't they at least have had the fruit instead of that square "vitamin"? And did they really think Pac Man was eating "video wafers" like the manual says?

-Defender. A close second to Pac Man in terms of disappointment. A graphics disaster and not much in the way of sound, either. Ship vanishes when you fire - not good. More fun than Pac Man, but still a major letdown.

-Killer Satellites (Starpath). Maybe with the Supercharger the 2600 can handle Defender! Turns out this one's less fun than Atari's Defender above. Was this ever playtested? Why are there triangles everywhere?

-Level 6 of Escape from the Mind Master. The grand finale turns out to be a boring grid maze with no monsters, obstacles, or anything. Did Starpath have a deadline to meet?

Your thoughts?

Yes, Pac-man is by far the worst Atari made game ever, I don't understand why they could not have made it as good as the AtariAge Pac-man Arcade version which I think is as close to the real game as you can get. I would love to go back in time to the Atari HQ and show them what there pac-man could have looked like instead of the piece of shit they made.

:roll: :ponder: :x

Yeah, Pac-Man, I remember running home from school, plugging that in, turning it on, seeing the screen, and feeling my heart sink. I still ended up playing it a bit, though, even though it wasn't anything like the original.

Space War's controls were so screwed up, it wasn't very fun, but that wasn't MY money-wasted disappointment, since a friend bought it, not me :D

The screwed physics on Video Pinball...urk!

I remember being very excited to get Miner 2049er after reading reviews about what a great game it was. Unfortunately, after saving a long time to buy it, I was very disappointed. There are lots of worse games, but for me Miner 2049er was the biggest letdown (at least when I was a kid).

Atari 2600 Pacman was the first version of Pacman that I had ever played. So I don't have any bad memories at all.

The crappiest game in my opinion is Berzerk!!! I just don't get it. Shoot a couple of robots, run out of the next maze. Shoot some more robots, run out of the maze. yawn! Shoot some more *yawn* robots, run *yawn* *yawn* to the next maze *yawn*.

My 2 cents

Olaf

The crappiest game in my opinion is Berzerk!!! I just don't get it. Shoot a couple of robots, run out of the next maze. Shoot some more robots, run out of the maze. yawn! Shoot some more *yawn* robots, run *yawn* *yawn* to the next maze *yawn*.

Yeah, I think Atari did the game an injustice by making Evil Otto not appear on the default game setting. As if people are going to like the game MORE if it sucks the first time they play it.

Berzerk VE on an appropriate difficulty setting is maybe the most authentic arcade conversion for the 2600, though. I was never a huge fan of the arcade game but BVE is right on. Anyone trying to complete the "AtariAge Arcade" series needs to have that one.

Pac-Man is obviously the king of Atari disappointments, so much so that it drove some of us to absurd mid-life-crisis-level activities to correct it, but I knew a few kids who actually cried in disappointment the first time they played ET after seeing the movie. I thought the movie kinda sucked so I wasn't expecting much.

Donkey Kong is also pretty bad, but we played it a lot more than we played Pac-Man, if only because we wanted to see if there was a third or fourth screen after you did the first two a few times. (A disappointment within a disappointment, there...) Like Pac-Man I'd want to either start from a different game or write it from scratch, to correct its awfulness.

Rob

Most of us agree that Pac-Man was a disappointment. Something the manual said made it even worse.

You get to play in the comfort and convenience of your own home.  This is especially advantageous if you still plan to make an occasional appearance at the arcade to show off your great playing skills. (Little do they know that you've been practicing at home all along.)

I vividly remember reading this in the manual before I turned on the game. I actually believed that it would be a chance to practice the arcade version. :(

Pac-Man was so disappointing that *I* felt let down, even though only my FRIEND got burned by it (I hadn't saved up enough to buy my 2600 by that point). We were used to making concessions for the "home version os the game" (to quote Alan Ludden), but that was over the top. It burned me so bad that I was a cynical consumer by the time ET came out, and demanded to see it played before buying it. Or, in my case, not buying it. I think I was 12.

Canyon Bomber I could play for hours. I'll be the first to admit it was mind-numbing, but there it is.

DK

I say ALL games Coleco made for the 2600 - they stink and were probably part of a deliberate effort to make it look bad.

I think Pac-man was the beginning of the end - after paying $50 for that people started saying bull$hit I 'm not buying anymore of this crap. The video game crash that followed in 1983 killed off the 5200, Intv, Coleco, Vectrex, and Atari never recovered. IT DIDN'T HAVE TO BE THAT WAY!

Probably my biggest letdowns were Space Attack and Video Olympics. I thought both of those really sucked when I was a kid.

I actually liked Pac-Man and Donkey Kong back then. I wished that Donkey Kong had more than 2 levels, but still enjoyed it. I didn't like the colors on Pac-Man so I always played it with the B&W switch on.

-Paul

Aah, just remembered. Many years ago whilst playing at a friends house, I remember the enthusiasm he showed playing 'Pele's Soccer', and I remember thinking the game really sucked!!! Those 3 blimps for players - Aaargh!!!

He really liked the game (I could never figure out why)

I say ALL games Coleco made for the 2600  - they stink and were probably part of a deliberate effort to make it look bad.

WTF are you on about? Sure there were some duds, but for the most part Coleco's 2600 games were solid, technically-excellent efforts.

And I liked Donkey Kong, BTW. Sure it only had 2 screens, but they both played well.

I forgot to mention Swordquest anything. What a complete disaster. And I had been thinking they were making sequels to "adventure". I have a copy of Fireworld that a friend gave me way back when. To my knowledge that was the only cartridge among all the ones the neighborhood kids had that became a free gift given away. I can hardly believe Atari made a goof of that magnitude. It's actually unplayable without the comic book (and probably with).

Biggest letdown as a kid with my 2600

Freeway

I was expecting head to head style Frogger. Maybe even able to push the other character if you get close to them.

But no, just forward, backward, forward, foward, backward, waiting for a car to pass...

Biggest Letdown in recent years

Learning there was no rhyme or reason to the SQ EW and FW. Just random item placing... at least in WW you could use the clues to FIGURE OUT THE PUZZLE of what goes where... not just randomly place objects untill finally you do it right (how many possible combinations are there for the items to be placed... had I remembered stats from highschool I could work it out...)